Author Topic: Jack the Wedding Planner  (Read 315 times)

Kramer

Jack the Wedding Planner
« on: October 04, 2018, 09:14:39 PM »
Jack made me laugh at the wedding. Was he the best man (before Noah arrived) or a wedding planner? When he told the minister to get the candles lit, I cracked up!

SANDY B

Re: Jack the Wedding Planner
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 10:39:16 PM »
Well yes. He handed his best man title over to Noah. He mentioned it during the episode.

franniep51

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 10:22:49 AM »
“Aunt Jack” sometimes makes an appearance!

Miravep

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 11:52:38 AM »
I loved it.  It was SO Jack.  And the shots of him opening the church doors a crack to peer out for Sharon were perfect.

DianeM

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 01:53:23 PM »
Jack is my favorite character (and PB is my favorite actor in Y&R).  Why does he always get the shaft?  It's time he had some lasting happiness.

LeannaLove

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 02:29:46 PM »
Jack...why does he always get the shaft? 
Because the writers have chosen to make him the fall guy while constantly propping up the 77 year-old Hans Gudegast (thank you Ricky) as an ageless, virile, sexually irresistible superhero whose powers know no limits (doppelgangers, anyone?) and never loses.
In doing this, the writers have managed to not only ruin the character of Jack but also Victor by making him utterly un-believable (not to mention despicable) as well as Nikki by turning her into his all-too-willing doormat; Victoria, with her weird daddy issues and yet another blind enabler of her father; and Nick, who despite his efforts to branch out and be his own man with his own life that he lives on his own terms, ultimately always "loses" to his father as well. 

This is the way it's always going to be until Eric Braeden either retires or dies.  The actor is way too powerful for some puzzling reason.  Does he have dirt on the powers that be at CBS? 

Edit: or perhaps it's just a reflection of the culture at CBS in general?  The all-powerful, intimidating, bullying, old boy's club that we hear so many reports of?

Soaprah

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 04:39:39 PM »
LeannaLove, a big YES to your edit!

DianeM

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 04:46:41 PM »
Unfortunately, I think you're right.  Maybe PB is just happy to get a big paycheck and doesn't mind being the fall guy.

katiesbeach

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 07:15:02 PM »
I just looked EB up on Wikipedia (something I've never wanted to do before), to see how old he is.  I'm totally SHOCKED that he is only 77 years old.  My dad is almost 90 and looks better than him!

Capricorn

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 07:33:09 PM »
Jack...why does he always get the shaft? 
Because the writers have chosen to make him the fall guy while constantly propping up the 77 year-old Hans Gudegast (thank you Ricky) as an ageless, virile, sexually irresistible superhero whose powers know no limits (doppelgangers, anyone?) and never loses.
In doing this, the writers have managed to not only ruin the character of Jack but also Victor by making him utterly un-believable (not to mention despicable) as well as Nikki by turning her into his all-too-willing doormat; Victoria, with her weird daddy issues and yet another blind enabler of her father; and Nick, who despite his efforts to branch out and be his own man with his own life that he lives on his own terms, ultimately always "loses" to his father as well. 

This is the way it's always going to be until Eric Braeden either retires or dies.  The actor is way too powerful for some puzzling reason.  Does he have dirt on the powers that be at CBS? 

Edit: or perhaps it's just a reflection of the culture at CBS in general?  The all-powerful, intimidating, bullying, old boy's club that we hear so many reports of?

I agree with every word LeannaLove, edit included.

Capricorn

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 07:41:31 PM »
I just looked EB up on Wikipedia (something I've never wanted to do before), to see how old he is.  I'm totally SHOCKED that he is only 77 years old.  My dad is almost 90 and looks better than him!

Several years ago Eric Braeden shaved off 3 years of his age.  His information was first changed on Google, but Wikki and IMDb remained with his true age for several months until (I guess) he realized that he had to do changes on those two sites also.   The old crow is really 80.

Michelle Stafford also took 3 years off her age when she was turning 50 but she was smart enough to change the info everywhere.  She is really 56 but with good cosmetic surgery and airbrushing, the woman looks a good 10 years younger than her age in pictures.

LeannaLove

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 01:29:38 PM »
That's funny that EB lies about his age.  I know he's far from the only person who does this but shaving 80 down to 77 doesn't exactly make him a spring chick either.  LOL.

I've just had enough of Victor bedding 30-something year old women, punching out men who are 40-50 years his junior and never, ever being held accountable for his crimes and betrayals.  He's indeed a poster boy for the Old Boy's Club at CBS.  A large part of the reason I've quit watching the show (but keep up with it on here.)

I'm always amused when EB tweets a rant about Trump's ego.  Two peas in a pod if you ask me.

Like Cap, many years ago I attended a fan event in Columbus OH, featuring several of the CBS daytime stars of the day.  Josh Morrow was friendly and approachable, talking with fans, posing for pictures and so was Eileen Davidson and Colleen Zenk of the old ATWT.  Tamara Tunie of ATWT was also there (she's now the M.E. on Law & Order SVU.)  Drop dead gorgeous but very down to earth and friendly to the fans. They all were.

Guess who was the party pooper?  You guessed it.  Eric Braeden. 

There was a table with chairs on a stage that the actors sat behind to field questions.  All but EB.  He stood behind the table the whole time the others spoke, sort of smirking and rocking back and forth on his heels.  Took a few questions but soon vanished.  He came back out briefly at autograph time but signed maybe a half dozen then vanished again.  Acted like he was so bored and above all of it.  I've loathed him ever since.  A very unpleasant man and he brings that to Victor Newman.

Ricky

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 01:59:00 PM »

There was a table with chairs on a stage that the actors sat behind to field questions.  All but EB.  He stood behind the table the whole time the others spoke, sort of smirking and rocking back and forth on his heels.  Took a few questions but soon vanished.  He came back out briefly at autograph time but signed maybe a half dozen then vanished again.  Acted like he was so bored and above all of it.  I've loathed him ever since.  A very unpleasant man and he brings that to Victor Newman.

Be nice.   I expect he was having a severe hemorrhoid flare-up, and his dentures had probably slipped, prohibiting him from sitting down or talking.   And his arthritis probably makes it hard to sign "Hans Gudegast" for his adoring fans  8)

deirdra

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 02:08:16 PM »
I remember EB changing his age on IMDB right before he turned 60, but I just found naturalization records from 1959, with image, on ancestry dot com.  Either there was more than one Hans-Joerg Gudegast born near Kiel on April 3, or he stole someone else's identity to get a job or in-state tuition, or he increased his age to match his face when he first started acting and then decreased it later.

Name: Hans-Joerg Gudegast
Certificate Age: 18
Record Type: Declaration
Birth Date: 3 Apr 1941
Birth Place: Kiel Schleswig-Holstein Germany
Arrival date: 27 May 1959
Arrival Place: New York City, New York, USA   
Certificate Date: 2 Jul 1959
Certificate Place: Dallas, Texas, USA

Other anomalies surround an interview he gave about being so much older than other university students, but he would have been the same age if he was really born in 1941.

Other public records from 1993 show
Name: Hans J Gudegast
Birth: 15 Jun 1942
Residence: 1993 Venice, CA

So his birthdate has always been fluid. My own grandmother shaved off 2 yrs on her naturalization papers and 3 on her driver's licence.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 02:33:42 PM by deirdra »

Capricorn

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 02:28:13 PM »
The only way I will believe Eric Braeden is only 77 is if I see his actually birth certificate with a certified seal on it.   If his age was falsified on naturalization papers it would mean he was 15 at the time.  Did he enter USA alone at age 15?   Really?

Ricky

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2018, 05:03:12 PM »

When Old Hans married Miss Dale Russell back in 1966, he also provided his birthdate as being 4/3/1941.    (But at some point later, he changed it to 1939.   And then back to 1941.  Senility, I reckon.)