Author Topic: Why do so many people hate Victor?  (Read 269 times)

JustAFan

Why do so many people hate Victor?
« on: September 28, 2018, 05:28:10 PM »
I've been watching Y&R for pretty much my whole life. Some of my most early memories were being practically a toddler and watching Y&R, GH and Sesame Street with my Mom before I started school! (Don't worry, I was usually playing with my barbie dolls and toys while the soaps were on!) I remember being a kid and changing the channels when it was time for the shows to come on, probably by turning the dial on the TV. The point is, I've watched it for a long time. One of the main ongoing constants was the Jack vs. Victor story. Sometimes you rooted for Victor, sometimes Jack, sometimes neither and sometimes both. Victor as a "man" is terrible, but I can't imagine the show without him. Most of the time I'm thinking, "Why did you DO that?!" but yet I still somehow always want him and Nikki together, crazy I know! Now that I've found this community, I notice a lot of hate for "the mustache," but I would love to hear everyone's reasons. Not because I love him, but because I think this will be an interesting conversation!

deirdra

Re: Why do so many people hate Victor?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 05:45:50 PM »
I don't mind Victor & Nikki together since she doesn't mind being his doormat, even after Victor told her he wished she was dead on a slab with a toe tag.  Also, them being married to each other spares other women from ending up in mental hospitals or being banished from GC after he dumps them as happened with Ashley & Sharon, Julia & LeannaLove.  I always liked Julia & LeannaLove and wish they had stuck around.

Victor is tolerable in very small doses as grandpa, but I do not want to see him daily and winning against Jack, Nick, and others, usually by doing something illegal.  For someone who says he does everything for his faahhmallheee, he is constantly tearing down or undermining his kids and grandkids.  The hypocrisy is tiresome.

The Victor Show also leaves less time to develop other characters, who I'd like to see more of.  And playing Russian roulette with the CEOs & COOs of Newman and mowing them down periodically means there will be nobody fully competent to run Newman Enterprises when he is gone.

katiesbeach

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 06:13:45 PM »
Victor is a total control freak, and isn't happy unless he is manipulating everyone's lives.  There are a lot of people like that, but Victor goes to extremes, like having Victoria arrested during her wedding, hiring a Cassie look-a-like to gaslight Sharon, undermining Nick's business ventures, and even trying to pay off Noah's girlfriend to leave him.  He claims that everything he does is for family, but he can't ever see (or doesn't care) how much he hurts them.

Ricky

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 06:32:15 PM »

Because he was originally a well-written character who was sorta FORMIDABLE and INTIMIDATING but who could be soft-hearted and nice at certain times.   He was actually an interesting character, and he pretty much stayed that way until Bill Bell retired in 1998.   At that point, Kay Alden took over the writing, developed a gigantic crush on Hans Gudegast who plays Goat Daddy, started fantasizing about his sperm, decided to write storylines where all the women on the show were scratching each other's eyes out over his yellowing old semen, and turned him into a complete prick of a character who's emotionally abusive to his family and a one-dimensional grouch.  About that time, Hans discovered social media and became a real-life prick to go along with the prick we were seeing on-screen.    It all just got to be too much.   

Peridot

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 07:08:44 PM »
Ricky is correct.  Victor was much more balanced back in the day.  He was ruthless in business, but very often portrayed as a loving husband and father.  Then, years ago, they started giving Victor all these other personas like Grambo, Goat Daddy, and Grandpa Grumbles.  He gradually became insufferable.  These days I'm finding Victor more tolerable again, now that he's getting less airtime and (usually) being decent to Nikki.  He's onscreen about as much as I care to see him.

stpauliegirl

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 07:21:26 PM »
Ditto Ricky and Peridot.  EB has also somehow gotten some power over the show runners that is detrimental to the show and the character of Victor.  Victor always needs to win, is physically stronger or at least as strong as fit men decades younger than he is.  He doesn't bother to memorize his dialogue, which throws other actors, who do prepare, off their game. 

Capricorn

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 07:55:07 PM »
I have hated Victor Newman ever since the character cane to Genoa City.  It doesn't matter to me who is writing, as the years go by my hatred doubles, triples, quadruples, etc.   I can't stand the sight of him and I can't stand the sound of his voice.   Anyone who has been watching the show faithfully has to know the answer the the question - "Why do so many people hate Victor?"

Added to watching the show I have actually been to a fan event featuring Doug Davidson and Eric Braeden some 27 years ago.    I met Eric Braeden in person, he was dismissive, rude and had an holier than thou attitude.  Braeden acted as if shaking a person's had was beneath his dignity, he didn't take a single picture with anyone.   

Doug Davison on the other hand was a very enthusiastic, sweet guy, he was warm, friendly, gracious, took photographs with fans and allowed himself to be photographed by fans.  Doug hugged fans, talked, laughed and kept the audience enthralled, while Braeden stood with his usual smirk, lidded eyes, hands in side pockets, rocking back on his heels with his groin pushed forward.   Maybe he thinks that stance is sexy but let me tell you the people who turned out for this event left disliking this man.    I know, I spoke to a lot of them.

Stepping off my soapbox now.

JustAFan

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 07:43:00 PM »
Thanks, everyone! This is all really interesting. There were time frames that I didn't get to watch as much over the years, so I have missed some stuff for sure. I hate to hear that the man himself sounds like a jerk.

Do you think the show would be better without the character or do you think they could salvage him somehow? IRL, onviously that would be a huge NO, but in soap opera land we can throw reality out the window.

Ricky

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 07:59:39 PM »

Yes, the opportunity is there RIGHT NOW to make the Victor character more palatable.   When this whole "Who's Jack's Daddy?" storyline started, I thought this would be an excellent opportunity to have Albert Miller be a possible but incorrect suspect.   Victor could then revisit the whole Albert Miller debacle and maybe this time learn something from it, especially regarding his own father/son relationship with Nicholas, his father/daughter relationships with Victoria and Abby, and his abusive/enabling relationship with Miss Piggy.  (Albert Miller was abusive to Cora.)  Unfortunately, though, Mal Young doesn't think the same way other people think, and he'll manage to throw this opportunity away.   If Victor could re-examine how similar to his crotchety old Goat Pappy he's become, maybe it would inspire him to become a more decent person.   

Capricorn

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 08:22:10 PM »

Thanks, everyone! This is all really interesting. There were time frames that I didn't get to watch as much over the years, so I have missed some stuff for sure. I hate to hear that the man himself sounds like a jerk.

Do you think the show would be better without the character or do you think they could salvage him somehow? IRL, obviously that would be a huge NO, but in soap opera land we can throw reality out the window.

Eric Braeden has a lot of fans who just worship the ground that he walks on.   All his fans would miss him.   I'm not a fan so I wouldn't miss him.    I think that if the show is going to be a permanent part of daytime watching then it's time for Victor to be either seriously back burnered or for him to retire.   No one is indispensable.    It's time for the next generation of Newmans to be front and center equally with what's left of the Abbotts, Winters/Hamilton/Ashby plus any new families that come to Genoa City.

deirdra

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 10:03:49 PM »
Eric Braeden has a lot of fans who just worship the ground that he walks on.   All his fans would miss him.   I'm not a fan so I wouldn't miss him.    I think that if the show is going to be a permanent part of daytime watching then it's time for Victor to be either seriously back burnered or for him to retire.   No one is indispensable.    It's time for the next generation of Newmans to be front and center equally with what's left of the Abbotts, Winters/Hamilton/Ashby plus any new families that come to Genoa City.
Hear, hear!  The show was great before Victor came to town with his buddy Douglas Austin (who I always preferred over Victor) and could be just as great without him or at least back-burnering him to holidays and occasional visits with Grandpa/Great Grandpa (not Grampire). The Rosales family looks promising and four families is enough to start with; we need more time for character development and little nuances, which we are not getting on The Victor Show.  In the good old days characters didn't have to speak since we knew them so well, like when Jack runs his hand through his hair you can tell that he is exasperated. 

Victor will always be a part of the show, just like Katherine and John, who are remembered by their families and for their companies.  No ghosts please; a photo on the mantel or desk will do.  I like how Jack now talks to a picture of John. Though most of us don't do it out loud, seeing a photo of a departed relative does make us think more deeply about things.  The best part of the demantling of Victor's office (permanent, I hope) is that we don't have to see that monstrous portrait of Victor.  Putting his portrait in storage is probably what got EB's goat (no pun intended) before taking a month off.  TPTB should give it to EB to hang over his mantel or self-admiration altar at home.  He can have the naked male torso & sculpture too.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 10:28:08 PM by deirdra »

Soaprah

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 09:09:46 AM »
Well said, deirdra. If EB has any dignity or self-knowledge (I wish....), he will bow out with this holiday.