Author Topic: Was this a clue that Shauna is leaving?  (Read 252 times)

Winza

Was this a clue that Shauna is leaving?
« on: September 26, 2018, 08:13:53 PM »
Did I hear right when Devon told Neil that Charlie had wanted to throw one last birthday celebration for Shauna?  Or did I imagine that or misinterpret it?

I was thinking "great! Shauna is moving on."

I know we need more people that the main characters are not related to, but it would be great if some of these characters were interesting and played by good actors.  Shauna is neither of these.

Capricorn

Re: Was this a clue that Shauna is leaving?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 08:32:38 PM »
He gave her a fat check and told her to could go to any College she wanted to... so I presumed that she will be going somewhere soon.

deirdra

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 09:23:49 PM »
He gave her a fat check and told her to could go to any College she wanted to... so I presumed that she will be going somewhere soon.
Devon may be thinking she'll leave town to go to the college of her dreams since she can now afford it.  I certainly hope he is right!

wanda

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 09:28:39 PM »
I thought Charlie and Shauna were out for a birthday dinner. Just extending her birthday celebration.

I don't think Shauna is leaving for college soon. I believe she still has a year of high school left.

jinx

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 09:34:41 PM »
I didn't take it that way. I thought he meant that they were still in celebration mode. I think if she were leaving already we would have heard about it. I have a feeling this story isn't over and she'll decide to go to good old GCU. I hope I'm wrong.

Miravep

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 10:24:48 PM »
He meant that Charlie took her out for yet another birthday celebration, although her birthday was several days ago, and they've already celebrated a lot.  Like saying "I'll have one last drink" at the end of the night.  Not the last drink ever, just of that night.

Soaprah

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 10:41:37 PM »
Shauna has graduated. That's what the big prom to-do was about.

Miravep

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 08:59:22 AM »
I assumed it was her junior prom?  She was taking the SATs, which you do in your junior year.  And she mentioned applying for local college, which you would do around this time of your senior year.  But you raise the issue of the big to-do about her prom, which sure was a ridiculously big to-do, especially for a junior!!!!  But if she did graduate, then it could be just that Y&R was playing fast and loose with dates, like they did with Sharon's graduation in September.

DianeM

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 12:01:48 PM »
Aren't she and Charlie in the same grade?  He and his sister are still in school.  I think all three of them are seniors.

Capricorn

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 12:30:04 PM »
They attend different schools.   Shauna went to Genoa City High, Charlie & Mattie goes to Walnut Grove Academy.   I think Shauna is older than the twins, but a one year difference wouldn't make any difference to their friendship.

Shauna just turned 18 - aren't 18 year olds usually out of high school and on their way to College?  As far as I recall this school year beginning August 2018 is Charlie & Mattie's last year of high school.

Miravep

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 04:36:25 PM »
They attend different schools.   Shauna went to Genoa City High, Charlie & Mattie goes to Walnut Grove Academy.   I think Shauna is older than the twins, but a one year difference wouldn't make any difference to their friendship.

Shauna just turned 18 - aren't 18 year olds usually out of high school and on their way to College?  As far as I recall this school year beginning August 2018 is Charlie & Mattie's last year of high school.
Most seniors are 17 turning 18.  They are 18 when they graduate.

Capricorn

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 06:49:47 PM »
I guess there's a difference in Canada in USA.   My three children did their last year at 17 and went to University at age 18.

In Canada high school used to be grade 9 - 13 but some years ago they eliminated grade 13 and students had to complete the HS curriculum in grade 12.   Maybe that's where the difference is.

deirdra

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 07:03:34 PM »
It can also depend on what time of year you were born. The US tends to have hard cut-off dates so that you have to turn 5 before school starts in Fall.  My US nephew was born 3.1 years before his sister, but because she was born in September she has always been 4 yrs behind him at school. Though it is kind of handy now that they are both sophomores. He will graduate from university before she starts.  I have relatives in other states that move the cut-off birth date depending on how overflowing the local school is - if there are 8% too many 4 yr olds in the district, they move the 5th birthday cut-off date forward a month. I know a set of twins, one born before and the other after midnight and the school insisted on keeping the 10 minute younger twin back a year.  So his parents had to send him to a private kindergarten and were able to transfer him to public first grade the next year.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 09:33:47 PM by deirdra »

wanda

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2018, 07:30:26 PM »
All of the school districts in my area of Pennsylvania require children to be 5 before the start of kindergarten or 6 for 1st grade. Doesn't matter how full the schools are. So it wouldn't be unusual for a senior to be 18 at the start of the school year.

I still believe Shauna is still in high school.