Author Topic: Doug Davidson claims that he has been let go?  (Read 675 times)

SANDY B

Doug Davidson claims that he has been let go?
« on: September 11, 2018, 08:53:31 AM »
This was on twitter.  I wonder how long this show has left if this is true.

Miravep

Re: Doug Davidson claims that he has been let go?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 09:15:47 AM »
That's awful.  He has a lot to give, with good writing.  They should have him actually solve a case, with intelligence and wit.  I prefer him a million times over to new "detective" guy Ray, who I find super cheesy/smarmy.  (I'm fine with Arturo, but Ray is irritating.  Hopefully Lola will be more interesting, in that family.)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 10:31:54 AM by Miravep »

monkeymome3

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 09:49:11 AM »
After so many years, to just be dumped like that, it's shameful

DianeM

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 09:57:10 AM »
Looks like this is true.  After 41 years, he's been fired. "On Twitter in the last hour he conceded that heíd been let go, that the showís producers are 'going in a different direction.'"

If he goes, does that mean Christine will be gone too or wouldn't they dare fire a Bell?

PatsyB86

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 11:33:19 AM »
Makes sense to just offer recurring status (as other actors have been and are doing) since he is seen so little anyway lately :-\  No need for a firing.

Maple Leaf

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 11:43:02 AM »
Paul hasnít been given a decent storyline in years, and he hasnít solved a case in as much time.   Heís been made to look incompetent.   Itís a shame. 

I imagine young and virile Rey will be taking his place. 

Ricky

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 12:35:21 PM »

Sorry he lost his job, but anyone could see that one coming.   The show can't afford him. 

We talked about it a while back.   They've been guaranteeing him one episode a week this year.   In the first 29 weeks of 2018, he was used by the show a total of 27 times. 

If they need a policeman or policewoman, they sometimes just go out and hire a dayplayer for $1,000 instead of dragging Doug Davidson onto the set and paying him his gigantic appearance fee.   That's why that mysterious policewoman popped-up to take Lily's statement after she ran the redlight. 

It's getting pretty clear why Mishael Morgan and Eileen Davidson bolted from the sinking ship, and why Christel Khalil opted for recurring status.   The show just ain't making enough money to justify all these veteran performers anymore.   (Notice the way Neil Winters suddenly had to "leave town" during Lily's sentencing, so the show wouldn't have to pay Kristoff St. John to just sit on a bench during the hearing.)     

Capricorn

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 01:20:58 PM »
I'm sorry that Doug Davidson lost his once a week job, but in all honesty Paul Williams has been a useless, clueless character for years... I can't be a hypocrite and say I'm going to miss him because he has really been gone for a long time now... as Ricky said he's only been on once every two weeks.

wanda

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 05:28:31 PM »
Poor Doug. I hope he finds other work.

Peridot

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 07:33:43 PM »
I'm sorry that Doug Davidson lost his once a week job, but in all honesty Paul Williams has been a useless, clueless character for years.

Precisely.  I wish TPTB would honor this veteran actor and long-time character by having Paul go out on a high note.  Sadly, they'll probably just have poor Clueless fade into the woodwork.  I'm assuming Det. ShaveMePlease will take over at the GCPD.

stpauliegirl

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 07:38:11 PM »
That is too bad, but he hasn't been in any major storyline for a long time.  At least Paul was likeable most of the time.  Can't say that about Rey, even though to date he appears to as bumbling as Paul ever was.

stpauliegirl

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 07:09:25 PM »
He says he was told his contract would not be picked up and that he has two episodes in the can that have not yet aired.  Says he is not proud of them because they went straight to tape with no rehearsal which, for him, is hard to do when working with a new actor.  I take that to mean the scenes were with Rey. DD says he doesn't know if they will ever explain what has happened to Paul.  Here's an article about it:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6161355/Doug-Davidson-confirms-hes-leaving-Young-Restless-40-years.html
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 10:55:00 AM by Capricorn »

Capricorn

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 07:12:19 PM »
He was on today's Canadian show so I guess there is just one episode left to see Paul.  Wonder what they will do with Christine?

DianeM

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 07:31:07 PM »
They probably wouldn't dare fire a Bell.

Zoe

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 07:45:45 PM »
I'm sad. The writing has made him appear clueless.  Not his fault.

Ricky

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2018, 01:02:36 AM »

Now Doug is claiming that he was "temporarily fired" (placed on recurring status) back in January 2018, but that he thought a new contract would be forthcoming in a few months.  Instead his appearances have just fizzled out this summer.

For some reason his fans are signing petitions demanding that Mal Young re-hire Paul.   Don't these fans know that Mal Young is about to be kicked out on his own ass as well?  With these pitiful ratings, I can't imagine they'll keep Mal much longer.     

Twokeets

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2018, 12:49:29 PM »
I don't suppose it's possible they want the show to fail? Sometimes it seems that way. But maybe it's just the poor writing.......

Capricorn

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 01:23:08 PM »

Now Doug is claiming that he was "temporarily fired" (placed on recurring status) back in January 2018, but that he thought a new contract would be forthcoming in a few months.  Instead his appearances have just fizzled out this summer.

For some reason his fans are signing petitions demanding that Mal Young re-hire Paul.   Don't these fans know that Mal Young is about to be kicked out on his own ass as well?  With these pitiful ratings, I can't imagine they'll keep Mal much longer.     

Most likely fans protested and TIIC backed down, now saying he's recurring but he has been recurring for several years now... so what's all the hullabaloo about now.  Doug Davidson has to be embarrassed by all this.

Ricky

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 05:16:30 PM »

Remember what Eileen Davidson did:  one brief announcement --- "leaving my second home to get more control over my day to day life!"

And Christel Khalil:  "I asked to go recurring!"   

And poor Doug Davidson keeps tweeting and tweeting and tweeting trying to generate sympathy.   I think he really has embarrassed himself. 

Maple Leaf

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2018, 07:31:13 PM »
If he didnít see this coming, then heís no brighter than his character 🙄

stpauliegirl

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2018, 07:51:05 PM »
I read on another board that he had been told he'd be on a certain number of episodes, but he hasn't gotten them and isn't scheduled to work on any episodes.  That's why he responded to a tweet that asked if he had been "let go" from the show, "apparently so".  Doesn't sound he has been told he had been fired, he's assuming that he has.

PatsyB86

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2018, 01:21:43 PM »
Quite frankly, a huge deal is being made of out of this...I'm getting stories popping up on my phone daily regarding his exit, yet not confirming whether he even has been officially let go.  I appreciate his years of service on the show and he had some good storylines over the years. Especially with Isabella, Ricky etc. Still, have heard more about him in the last days than I have in the last few years  :-\
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 02:39:02 PM by PatsyB86 »

DianeM

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2018, 01:50:13 PM »
I think it's a huge deal that the actor who has been on Y&R longer than anyone else (40 years) has been dumped, probably because they can hire another actor for the job at far less money.  It's just a crappy way to treat him or any of the other long time actors of the series.  I hate that Eileen is also leaving.  Pretty soon the only long time actors will be MTS, EB, and PB.  I think they're going to lose a lot of viewers over this.

Ricky

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2018, 02:57:12 PM »
Yeah, from all the publicity you'd think he was a current leading man rather than a glorified day-player who pops up a couple times per month.   

Also, these news articles claim that he's the show's "longest-running vet", and that's not exactly true either.   From 1978 to 1980, he was on recurring status, rarely appeared, didn't interact with anyone except Nikki, and his character didn't even have a last name.   When the show expanded to an hour in 1980, he was signed to a contract and his character was given a storyline and a last name.   So he officially "joined the show" as a contract player in 1980, giving him less seniority than Miss Piggy who joined in 1979 and the same seniority as Goat Daddy, who was signed to a contract the same week Doug Davidson signed on.     

missybug88

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2018, 08:21:29 PM »
Yeah, from all the publicity you'd think he was a current leading man rather than a glorified day-player who pops up a couple times per month.   

Also, these news articles claim that he's the show's "longest-running vet", and that's not exactly true either.   From 1978 to 1980, he was on recurring status, rarely appeared, didn't interact with anyone except Nikki, and his character didn't even have a last name.   When the show expanded to an hour in 1980, he was signed to a contract and his character was given a storyline and a last name.   So he officially "joined the show" as a contract player in 1980, giving him less seniority than Miss Piggy who joined in 1979 and the same seniority as Goat Daddy, who was signed to a contract the same week Doug Davidson signed on.   

Good points Ricky. Paul was never really a major character. Some stories in the eighties did get some air time, but his roles have mostly been props for the big stories. Writing for him has been terrible for years.

Miravep

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2018, 09:55:48 AM »
I think it's a huge deal that the actor who has been on Y&R longer than anyone else (40 years) has been dumped, probably because they can hire another actor for the job at far less money.  It's just a crappy way to treat him or any of the other long time actors of the series.  I hate that Eileen is also leaving.  Pretty soon the only long time actors will be MTS, EB, and PB.  I think they're going to lose a lot of viewers over this.

I agree.  They would do well to keep their longtime viewers engaged.  (And I don't mean by making Jack and Victor brothers, either.  That's a complaint for another thread, though.) 

Capricorn

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2018, 11:07:11 AM »
As a person who has watched Y&R from day one; I've watched the Original cast of Brooks and Fosters, the Prentiss family joined the cast one by one, similar to the Rosales family.  Eventually Brooks, Fosters and Prentiss were let go and replaced by Newmans, Abbotts, Nikki and her sister and Winters/Barber.  The show went on.    Paul was just Paul without a surname until he was also given a family and a surname.

I for one think Paul is a useless character and him being let go is probably what's best for the show.  Geez, Doug Davidson must have seen the writing on the wall unless he's as dim witted as the character he's playing.

The show needed new characters, a new family and the diversity of this family is a good thing for the show.  Everybody else who has been let go has gone with dignity; why is he on Twitter whining... well I guess his whining got him recurring instead of being let go.  I hope he's going to be happy to be seen once per month or less.     

This is the original cast of Y&R with Brad Elliot, Peggy Brooks and Pierre missing.   They are all gone except for Jill who a the time of this picture was being played by Brenda Dickson.  A few of them have even died in real life.  If Y&R had kept this cast we would be watching a show with a cast of actors all 60 - 90 years old.  Sometimes change is a good thing.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 05:08:27 PM by Capricorn »

Miravep

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2018, 11:37:07 AM »
I agree that diversity is welcome!  And I'm not against change per se.  The issue to me is how to keep this soap going in the next decade.  It's going to be difficult.  Young people don't watch TV, or even own TVs.  They watch streaming-only content for the most part.  What is the demographic for daytime soaps?  I'm betting it's mostly older people.  But I don't know the data.

Ricky

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2018, 01:41:25 PM »

The average age of the typical daytime viewer is (currently) between 58 and 62 years old, according to some data I've seen.   That's a far cry from the 1970s when Young & the Restless, All My Children, and General Hospital were delivering millions of college students and young adult viewers to the advertisers.

I agree with everything Capricorn said above.    It's necessary to refresh the storylines with younger characters and for some of the older ones to hit the road. 

PatsyB86

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2018, 02:08:38 PM »

The average age of the typical daytime viewer is (currently) between 58 and 62 years old, according to some data I've seen.   That's a far cry from the 1970s when Young & the Restless, All My Children, and General Hospital were delivering millions of college students and young adult viewers to the advertisers.

I agree with everything Capricorn said above.    It's necessary to refresh the storylines with younger characters and for some of the older ones to hit the road.

yes, the natural cycle of life

Miravep

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2018, 03:34:49 PM »

That's what I guessed.  This is why they need to keep the older viewers.  Let me just say, I'm younger than 50.  But older than a college student.  And even in my own demographic, very few people still watch televisions.  The young people I know don't even have TVs.  The Y&R is NOT going to win many college student viewers.  They might as well not even try, as I'm sure they are aware.  Unfortunately, TV shows are not on a natural cycle of life.  They are in the realm of media, which has moved on to streaming series and social media.

PatsyB86

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2018, 04:36:55 PM »
As of course, as they should, they are keeping some of the older folks...Nikki and Jack...and another most of us (maybe not all) wish would go.  Eileen Davidson who plays Ashley is choosing to leave the show.  As for Doug Davidson, he is now on recurring which he has pretty much has been anyway in the last 2 years.

As an older person myself (Over 50) I enjoy the younger characters being introduced.

Ricky

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2018, 06:04:04 PM »

Right, to capture the desired demographics (18-49), shows can't rely on these tired old "who's the daddy" and "corporate takeover" storylines which have been done-to-death for the past 40 years.   They have to try something unique and different (like "Riverdale" has accomplished) to attract that demo.  And if Y&R had the courage to ATTEMPT skewing to a younger audience, it would probably utterly fail in the current hour-a-day, five-days-a-week format, because younger viewers simply ain't gonna invest 300 minutes per week into a show that's not absolutely FASCINATING to them.     

SANDY B

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2018, 06:16:12 PM »
I might be odd man out, but I found Paul to be quite a front line character for a good portion of the time I watched the show.  There was a time that he and Lynn were on nearly every day.  His mother Mary was on a lot.  He had big parts in the show when Eva Longoria was on, but the writers reduced him to just a bumbling nobody in he past 10 years. The last riveting story he had was when Ricky got shot. His acting in that storyline was STELLAR.  Paul can do heartbreak and crying very well.

DianeM

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2018, 07:52:27 PM »
I remember Mary and her spareribs and sauerkraut.  They never explained what happened to her.  Suddenly she was just gone. 

Ricky

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2018, 12:57:07 PM »
They've mentioned (in passing) a few times that Mary Williams is dead.  The most recent reference was in conjunction with Dina Mergeron stabbing Nikki Reed and burning down Nick Newman's club.   Jack was pleading with Paul not to take any legal action against Dina.  Jack said, "Paul, she has dementia for heaven's sake.  What if this was happening to Mary, God rest her soul!"  (There was also a reference to Mary's death during all the Patty/Mary Jane drama a few years ago.)

It just kinda goes to show how marginalized that Paul's been in the storyline for several years that his mother died off-camera with no mention until several months or years afterwards.   

Maple Leaf

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2018, 02:51:32 PM »
I was never a huge fan of DDís acting and even less of a fan of Paulís.