Author Topic: Why is Phyl indulging Bill's gambling addiction?  (Read 346 times)

deirdra

Why is Phyl indulging Bill's gambling addiction?
« on: September 08, 2018, 12:33:50 AM »
She may think she can curb it, but she isn't.

Chuckles

Re: Why is Phyl indulging Bill's gambling addiction?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 12:55:31 AM »
And why would he believe her?  She has done nothing but yell at him for gambling, so now she thinks it is sexy?

Capricorn

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 12:59:04 AM »
Phyllis is a desperate middle aged woman trying to hold on to a younger man, plus the threat of her twenty something daughter taking him away from her... she not thinking straight.

wanda

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 09:24:41 AM »
 I think part of it is plot-driven. She is already suspicious of that purple haired girl. She'll figure out the purple haired girl and Kyle are in cahoots.

Miravep

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 09:36:03 AM »
I agree with Cap and Wanda.
BTW, I thought it was fabulous writing to have Sinead, who always says Bill, then call Phyllis Phyl.

Peridot

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 10:29:14 AM »
I think Phyllis allowed Billy to think she was more enthusiastic about accompanying him than she really is.  She's doing a good job acting like Billy's Vegas playmate, but when he's not looking you can tell how concerned she is.  Deep down Phyllis is afraid Billy is going to spin out of control, or tank Jabot, and I believe she's trying to keep an eye on him.  It's obvious to me that Phyllis had hoped Billy would call it quits after his first big win, and is not at all happy he's staying for the rest of the tournament.

katiesbeach

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 10:34:34 AM »
I think it is just a stall tactic until she can figure out how to tackle the problem

stpauliegirl

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 01:10:46 PM »
She wants to seem supportive of him so he won't go running to her daughter, who thinks he is a gladiator at the card table.

Billie

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 03:01:00 PM »
I think Phyllis allowed Billy to think she was more enthusiastic about accompanying him than she really is.  She's doing a good job acting like Billy's Vegas playmate, but when he's not looking you can tell how concerned she is.  Deep down Phyllis is afraid Billy is going to spin out of control, or tank Jabot, and I believe she's trying to keep an eye on him.  It's obvious to me that Phyllis had hoped Billy would call it quits after his first big win, and is not at all happy he's staying for the rest of the tournament.
I think you nailed it Peridot.  This is exactly how I see it too.

Soaprah

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 11:27:51 PM »
Years ago, Phyllis helped Jack shake his addiction to pills by staying by his side. Maybe she thinks the same technique will work with Billy but he is getting more and more euphoric and reckless as she enables him.

Goldilocks

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 08:33:29 AM »
This storyline is getting on my nerves! Phyllis is looking more and more desperate to keep her man.

SudzBearCat

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 05:51:49 PM »

At first I thought she was just co-dependent, but now I think you're right.  It's like when she stuck by Jack during the pill thing.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 06:55:44 PM by Capricorn »

Kai

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 03:42:44 PM »
And why would he believe her?  She has done nothing but yell at him for gambling, so now she thinks it is sexy?
What got me about the scene where they come back to their hotel room is how she cackles like the Wicked Witch from The Wizard of Oz just before throwing the money all over the place.  Really...she sounded even more like the witch that she is!

Chuckles

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 05:55:58 PM »
Phyllis is a desperate middle aged woman trying to hold on to a younger man, plus the threat of her twenty something daughter taking him away from her... she not thinking straight.
  I think you hit it on the head, Cap.  She's afraid Summer is going to get her man and she doesn't care what she has to do to sew him up with her initials tattooed on his forehead.

Capricorn

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 06:56:08 PM »

At first I thought she was just co-dependent, but now I think you're right.  It's like when she stuck by Jack during the pill thing.

Phyllis didn't sit back and watch Jack do drugs, she watched him like a hawk and didn't enable him and hope for the best.   This is totally different... she's there with Billy because she's hanging on to him for dear life.  She celebrated with him like a naive girl when he made that first big win.   She never tried to convince him to take the win and run while he's ahead... no she's totally enabling him in the same fashion that Summer would.   We can see her facial expressions that she knows how wrong she is to be enabling him but she just keeps on doing it.

pjones

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 08:51:04 PM »
Phyllis sees how turned on Billy is after winning big so of course is going to encourage it. If itís one thing Phyllis likes it is her man turned on. Plus it will keep his mind off Summer.

Maple Leaf

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2018, 08:16:10 AM »
She's desperate.  Kind of sad, in a way.