Author Topic: Jabotique  (Read 360 times)

stpauliegirl

Jabotique
« on: August 08, 2018, 06:47:13 PM »
So know we know Billy's super, secret, plan was to open a series of small boutique stores that carry Jabot cosmetics.  Lauren just about had a cow, since she felt the Jabotiques would take shoppers away from her stores.  I assume Jabot sells its products at other stores besides Fenmore's, so I don't know what the fuss is about.  Fenmores is a full service department store, so I doubt Jabot sales are that big a part of their earnings. If the products are priced the same in the Jabotiques as they are in the department stores, people will buy at whatever store is most convenient for them.  Unless the Jabotiques somehow cheapen the Jabot brand, I don't see what the big deal is.  I do agree with Ashley that opening 30 all at once is too aggressive.  He should test the market first with a few stores.

Zoe

Re: Jabotique
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 07:36:43 PM »
Yes, 30 at once is too many! Jabot will be overextended very soon.  It seems like a conflict of interest for them to open JAbotique when J'Abot cosmetics are already at Fenmore's and have a stake in their business. 

SANDY B

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 07:36:46 PM »
Yes, I think they should test the market.  Many businesses that open up too many all at once have plenty closing after a short period of time. 

katiesbeach

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 08:00:38 PM »
First, I do think that Fenmore's contracts should be able to protect them from that kind of direct competition  - maybe an exclusivity clause.  But secondly, no one in their right mind opens up 30 stores at once without doing one (or more) pilot markets and then conducting lessons learned, and fixing the things that didn't go so well, and putting the things that went well in to a repeatable formula/process to replicate.  Businesses research, develop, pilot, correct gaps and then scale.

monkeymome3

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 11:37:33 PM »
I hope Billy's idea is a smashing success.

carousel58

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 06:00:13 AM »
I hope Billy's idea is a success too. I do agree though, a few stores should open at first, the expand as they go along. I've never heard of any store opening so many stores at once before. I love the name Billy picked for his chain of stores,it has quite a kick to it! LOL!

franniep51

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 02:33:11 PM »
This could be a good story if the writers researched real boutique setups and downfalls. 30 stores seems too many to start with. But, he is taking a gamble itís replacing his card games.  I like business stories.

As for the name, after Jaboat, which I thought was comical, Jaboutique, Iím not crazy about it.

Capricorn

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 03:54:36 PM »
But, he is taking a gamble itís replacing his card games. 

This is an important sentence.    Billy fell off the wagon with his gambling addiction and he's using Jabot instead of cards.   This Jabotique thing is not going to end well.   

missybug88

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 07:03:02 PM »
Agree with Capricorn. This is a risky, careless move on Billy's part. Thirty stores? Now THAT'S a gamble!

lawgirl

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 02:57:31 PM »
Unless the Jabotiques somehow cheapen the Jabot brand, I don't see what the big deal is.  I do agree with Ashley that opening 30 all at once is too aggressive.  He should test the market first with a few stores.

It appears that Billy is rebranding the product to appear to a mass, young market -- definitely not an upscale cosmetic product that I thought Jabot was. He is cheapening the brand.  Once that happens it will never be regarded in the same light -- as a quality product.  It will now be like a "drugstore" product -- which is not what John Abbott was creating and marketing.  Billy as taken R&D money which was to be used for creating "quality" products and instead, spending on a mass market product.  Ashley is right to be very concerned.

jeanvn

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 09:17:23 AM »
Opening 30 stores when everyone else seems to be closing stores, in real life?  Doesn't seem smart.  A lot of business is gone or going on line.  Guess it's easier and more convenient to just pick up your phone and text an order.

Peridot

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 01:50:18 PM »
First of all, Billy needs to ditch the cutesy plays on the name Jabot.  It would be off-putting to me as a customer.  Second, even people like me with no head for business can tell opening this many brick & mortar stores is a rash move.  Billy, like other younger, untested leaders I've seen over the years, has a tendency to overcompensate for his lack of experience.  Just because an idea sounds edgy and hip doesn't mean it makes sound business sense.  Sure, you might initially attract new customers or a younger demographic.  But eventually those buyers grow older and the novelty of your trendy product wears off.  Billy needs to think long-term and he needs to set aside his ego long enough to allow older and wiser minds to give him counsel.