Author Topic: Poor Paul misfires again!  (Read 443 times)

Ricky

Poor Paul misfires again!
« on: August 03, 2018, 03:24:58 PM »

Seriously, how dumb can Paul be? 

Whenever he appears on the show (which is about once a month, because Mal Young can't afford to pay him anymore), he always finds Nikki, Victoria, Sharon, and Phyllis anxiously huddled together frantically working on a "charity venture" which they can only describe in the very vaguest of terms and which never actually occurs.   They all bark out conflicting answers to him (just as they did when he initially interrogated them about JT's disappearance), and then he leans back, frowns, and announces that he thinks a feeble, dottering, 135 year-old stroke victim who can't even pick up a glass killed JT. Nope, there's nothing suspicious at all about these four women! 

I'm waiting for that dumbass Paul to pop onto the scene and arrest Charlie for being in the backseat of the car when Hilary died. 

I think I could forgive Paul for being a fool, but he's such a confident, grouchy fool, and that's what makes him so pitiful.   

He always misses his target by a mile and a half  >:( 

Capricorn

Re: Poor Paul misfires again!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 03:39:57 PM »
It's a pity that all Y&R writers (except Bill Bell and Sally Sussman) write Paul as such a clueless jackass.   Doug Davidson is a good soap actor and a longtime Y&R cast member.   They should write better material for him or just let him go.

deirdra

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 04:52:25 PM »
Has Paul been on vacation for the past month?  It was also odd that the ladies all got together for a discussion as if it happened yesterday.  If JT is still under the huge slab of concrete Jill had laid down, they have nothing to worry about.  When is Paul or someone at the GCPD going to investigate Lily's accident (I don't count that lame questioning last week as a proper interrogation)?  You'd think the truck driver would want to be exonerated & get the insurance $$ to get his truck fixed.

Shauna spoke up, realizing it would be hard to keep a secret about death FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE, which Nikki, Victoria, Phyllis & Sharon are just figuring out.

Ricky

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 05:33:29 PM »

Yeah, Shauna's far more future-thinking than Miss Piggy and her gaggle of Junkyard Dawgs and dimwits.

Deirdra, I think the deal with Paul/Doug Davidson is that he gets paid $ X-dollars per episode, and the producers only guarantee him ONE show per week, or 52 shows per year.   From January to June, when the Preppy Pimp was biting the dust and JT was developing rigor mortis, it was necessary to use the Paul character five or six times a month instead of four, which about broke Y&R's bank.   So now they're compensating for it by using him even more rarely to prevent him from going over his guaranteed 52 episodes in the 2018 calendar year.   Hence, the half-ass dayplayer policewoman who interrogated Lily at a MUCH smaller salary for her episode than Doug Davidson would've been paid.   The girl cop probably got about $700 for her episode, while Paul would've gotten say $3,500 for delivering the same dialogue.   (It appears that Michael Baldwin/Christian LeBlanc is only guaranteed 2 episodes a MONTH, as he's only been used 12 times in the first half of 2018.) 

I'm guessing this is why Eileen Davidson and Mishael Morgan bolted from the show.   They were probably gonna have to take either a smaller salary per episode, or have their guarantee cut-down to one episode a week.   They can see how well that's working out for Doug Davidson and Christian LeBlanc and so they said, "No thanks!!"   

Capricorn

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 06:15:53 PM »
YES!  Exactly this Ricky!

missybug88

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 07:15:28 PM »
Very insightful Ricky!

Peridot

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 07:41:26 PM »
If I were Doug Davidson I'd just retire, or maybe do theater or something.  It's embarrassing to see such a long-term character as Paul reduced to doing next to nothing, and doing it badly at that.  IMO when the writers have run out of material for characters like Paul, they need to allow them to Exit Stage Left with a little dignity.

Ricky

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 08:11:30 PM »

Thanks, I'm an accountant, so trends in numbers kinda JUMP OUT at me, lol. 

If you look at 2017, it appears that Mishael Morgan and Eileen Davidson were each guaranteed 2.5 episodes per week at their standard rate per episode.   (52 weeks per year X 2.5 episodes per week = 130 episodes per year).   Mishael Morgan appeared in 131 episodes in 2017, which meets her guarantee of 2.5 per week, plus 1 additional episode.   Eileen Davidson appeared in 127 episodes, which is 3 episodes SHORT of her guarantee of 2.5 episodes per week.    So if Mishael Morgan's rate (as a 5-year daytime veteran) is $3,000 per episode, then she was paid for 131 episodes X $3,000 per episode = $393,000 in 2017.   If Eileen Davidson's rate (as a 35-year daytime veteran) is $5,000 per episode, then was paid for 130 episodes X $5,000 = $650,000.

The same situation holds true for both ladies in the first half of 2018.   From January to June of 2018, twenty-six weeks passed.    If Mishael Morgan and Eileen Davidson were each guaranteed to appear in 2.5 episodes per week, they would appear in 65 episodes between January 1 and June 30 of 2018.   Mishael Morgan appeared in 72 episodes, and Eileen Davidson appeared in exactly 65 episodes.   That indicates Mishael Morgan met her guarantee, and also got 7 extra episodes.   Eileen Davidson (due to her higher salary per episode) was given her EXACT guarantee, and not a single extra episode over that amount.    If Mishael Morgan's rate per episode was $3,000, then she collected $3,000 X 72 = $216,000 in the first six months of 2018.   If Eileen Davidson's rate per episode was $5,000, then she collected $5,000 X 65 = $325,000 for the first six months of 2018.   

Both ladies' contracts came up for renewal about that time.   Ratings have fallen, resulting in fewer advertising dollars being generated, and the show's operating budget is now smaller.   SONY probably said to Mishael, "We'll keep your guarantee at 2.5 episodes per week, but we're dropping your rate per episode from $3,000 to $2,700.   OR if you don't want to drop your payrate per episode, we'll let you stay at $3,000 per episode, but we're ONLY gonna give you two episodes a week, instead of 2.5.  Your choice."   (This second scenario would've reduced her annual income from $393,000 per year to $312,000 per year.)   Mishael Morgan probably said, "I'm pregnant, and I can find another job in a medium that isn't dying a slow death, so kiss my ass.   Good-bye!"    Ditto for Eileen Davidson:   she was probably offered a lower rate per episode OR a reduction in the number of episodes per week that she was guaranteed, and she said, "I can make more than this on Real Housewives and spend more time with my family.  Good-bye!"

DOUG DAVIDSON has been on the show about 40 years, and he probably has a high rate per episode, like Eileen.    He clearly opted to keep his higher payrate per episode, but took the smaller guaratee per week.    In 2017, he appeared in 59 episodes, which indicates a guarantee of ONE episode per week, plus 7 extras.   From January to June of 2018, he appeared in 24 episodes, which would be a guarantee of ONE episode per week, less a shortage of two episodes.

Christian LeBlanc appeared in 13 episodes in the first six months of 2018.  That's 2 episodes per month, plus 1 extra show.   So he clearly opted to keep his higher rate per episode, but is guaranteed VERY FEW appearances at that rate.  He's evidently being paid for 26 episodes a year that are being doled-out very conservatively to him.   

I know it's a frustrating situation for everyone involved, but that's why we're seeing more of Summer and Kyle and Nate and Arturo and others who can be obtained for a smaller rate per episode.   The vets that we're still seeing often (Jack, Nikki, and Victor) have probably lowered their payrate per episode in exchange for keeping their guaranteed number of episodes per week.                 

Capricorn

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 08:22:27 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to explain all this.  It makes perfect sense.

Ricky

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 09:27:45 PM »

Thanks, Capricorn.   

I'm just blindly guessing at their "rate per episode", because that's obviously a highly confidential part of their employment contracts.   I read somewhere that a newish soap actor with very little experience generally makes between about $350 and $700 per episode (like that policewoman who interrogated Lily the other day, or the girl who plays Shauna, or the kids who play Lily's twins, or Tessa Porter).  Once they have a few years of soap experience and a *following* of fans, they can make somewhere around $3,000 per episode (which is why I used that amount for Mishael Morgan).    After they have many years of experience, a big *following*, some awards, and widespread name recognition (like Eileen), they're apt to make $5,000 or more per episode.

The rest of it --- their guaranteed number of episodes per week --- is pretty obvious, though, if you look at how often they appear over a period of six months or a year.

If you ever look at Doug Davidson's twitter page, he doesn't seem to be a very happy person anymore.   He's always re-tweeting comments from his followers like "DOUG NEEDS TO BE ON THE SHOW MORE!!!", or "WE WANT MORE PAUL!!!!" and many of his followers are petitioning Mal Young to increase the number of episodes in which Doug appears.   (Mal can't do anything about it, though.  He has to follow what Doug's contract says, and Doug's contract evidently says that Doug shall be paid for at least 1 episode per week, or 52 episodes per year.  If Mal decides to use Doug more often than that, then a cut has to be made somewhere else in someone else's pay.)           

wanda

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 09:48:16 PM »
Wow! Thanks for all if that interesting info Ricky. I didn't realize how salaries worked.

deirdra

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 10:14:07 PM »
Why do they count episodes instead of minutes on screen?  Michael was on for less than 30 seconds and gets paid for an "episode".  But people like Victor fill the screen for several minutes per episode that we have to fast forward through.

Ricky

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 10:19:50 PM »

Wanda, if Mal Young had used Doug Davidson (Paul) in that scene where the police asked Lily what she remembered about the accident that killed Hilary, SONY'S accountant would've probably called Mal and screamed, "Why on earth are you paying that son-of-a-bitch FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS to ask Lily if she ran a red light?!?   Couldn't you find a THREE HUNDRED DOLLAR policeman to interview her?!?" 

During this storyline where Hilary died in the hospital, I feel like Mishael Morgan (Hilary), Bryton James (Devon), and Cristal Khalil (Lily) picked-up some extra cash, because it was necessary to overplay those particular actors during the three-week period leading up to, and immediately following, Hilary's death.   There was just a certain window of time in which to tell that story (because of Mishael Morgan's impending exit), and it was necessary to use those three actors daily for a three-week period, even though all three of them probably exceeded their guaranteed number of episodes and therefore grabbed an extra wad of cash that wasn't in the budget.   That's why the doctor was sent packing immediately, and no nurses were on-hand to run into the hospital room to check Hilary's heartbeat and blood pressure and drive the other characters out of the ICU with a curt, "Please leave now, the patient is critical".   And that's why Victor had his "private party" today; the show couldn't afford to have any extras floating around in the hospital or the GCAC because Bryton, Mishael, and Cristal had completely mopped-up the payroll budget for the month that would've otherwise been spent on extras.         

Ricky

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 10:31:46 PM »

Deirdra, I can't answer that.   (Union rules maybe?)   But for some reason, they've always been paid "per episode" rather than "per minute".   Sometimes it works FOR you, I guess, and sometimes it works AGAINST you.   An actor might prance through the GCAC for one scene & deliver two lines of dialogue, and pick up his per-episode rate, but in his next episode he might have to deliver a 22-page monologue.   I guess he gets the same rate for each episode, regardless of what he had to do in that particular show.   That's why I wouldn't wanna be a writer for a soap.   You're not only having to create storylines that are engaging and make sense and cause the audience to want to watch tomorrow, but you also have to make sure that you're using the cast in a manner that makes sense to the show's accountants.   If you use a higher-priced actor one day too many, you've just wasted $5,000 or more.   If you use a contract actor (with a guarantee) FEWER days than you were supposed to, he gets paid for sitting home on his ass, and you've wasted even more money and have to answer to the producer.   I couldn't do it.       

Capricorn

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 10:59:49 PM »
Why do they count episodes instead of minutes on screen?  Michael was on for less than 30 seconds and gets paid for an "episode".  But people like Victor fill the screen for several minutes per episode that we have to fast forward through.

If they were paid hourly instead of per episode that would make Eric Braeden earn far too much for the non acting and mumbling he does.  As it is he's earning too much already. Viewers should get paid for having to watch the old crow and for the added work for those who fast forward every time he's on.

Ricky

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 11:12:37 PM »

I just looked-up the Screen Actors Guild minimum pay scale for appearing on a daytime soap that lasts one-hour like Y&R.   (A thirty-minute soap pays less.)

A non-speaking "background extra" gets a minimum of $150 per episode.   That's those people who flip through menus at GCAC or nod their heads quietly at one another in a corner of Crimson Lights.

If an extra is required to SPEAK, but delivers less than 50 words of dialogue and/or less than 5 separate lines, he gets $451 per episode.   (You'll notice that if a major character is speaking with a hotel desk clerk, a waiter, or a doctor, the minor character generally says 4 lines instead of 5 and generally says less than 50 words.   This is to keep him at $451 rather than bumping him up to the next highest rate.   And if possible, he'll merely nod his head, to keep him at the $150 payrate.   I've noticed that waiters at GCAC generally don't speak at all;  they just slam down a drink order or nod vigorously when Miss Piggy places her order;  this is to keep em at $150.)

If a character speaks and says more than 5 lines and/or more than 50 words, he gets a minimum of $1,038 per episode.

If I still have the episode where Lily was interrogated by the policewoman, I'm going to go back and count the number of words the policewoman said.    I feel like she probably said less than 50.   She basically just identified herself, announced she was recording the conversation, asked Lily what she remembered, and then said, "If you remember anything else let me know".   They probably snagged her for $451 rather than $1,038.   

Ricky

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 11:59:30 PM »

Looks as though Officer Schulz earned $1,038!!   She delivered approximately 9 lines containing a total of approximately 90 words.

Lily told her to please have a seat and Officer Schulz said, "Hmmm."  That was her first line, but I don't think it counted as a word or a line.   I think she was just ad-libbing there for dramatic purposes, to establish her character as slightly suspicious, yet compassionate and businesslike.

Lily then thanked her for conducting the interview at Lily's workplace, as the show was too broke to slap together the police station set for one quick scene.  Lily then added that it was a stressful time for herself and her family, as they'd all exceeded their monthly number of guaranteed episodes and Mal and the accountants were beginning to scowl at them.   Officer Schulz then delivered her first line, "Yes, I can imagine.   Since we're not at the station, I'm going to have to record our conversation."   That's about 18 words.

"Yes!   Yes, of course!" said Lily, wondering why the hell you'd record the conversation while NOT at the station but wouldn't record the conversation if you were AT the station.

"This is Officer Erica Schulz.  I'm interviewing Lily Ashby about an incident that occurred July 18, 2018.  I'm gonna ask you some questions about the car accident you were involved in."   That's the cop's 2nd line of dialogue and contains about 31 words, upping her total to 49.

Lily offered that she felt badly about the wreck and that she wished she'd handled things slightly differently, such as not killing her sister-in-law.

Officer Schulz said, "What do you mean?", making her 3rd line of dialogue and upping her total to 53.

Lily started babbling that her son Charlie had been dating this young girl that Hilary was mentoring.

"Shauna Nelson," barked Officer Schulz knowingly (not sure how she knew), bringing her total lines up to 4, and her total words up to 55.

Then Lily started sputtering that Charlie had porked Shauna, and the freshly-boinked Shauna had run away, so Lily and her evil sister-in-law had gone out LOOKING for Shauna.

"In your car," Officer Schulz said stupidly, bringing her lines up to 5 and her words up to 58.

Lily verified that they were driving in an actual car.

"And you were driving?" asked Officer Schulz, as though she suspected it was a toy car and Lily was pedaling it.  She's now at 6 lines and 62 words. 

Lily explained that she was driving, that Hilary was riding shotgun and that Charlie was in the backseat with his freshly-popped cherry.

"And then what happened?" asked Officer Schulz, bringing her lines up to 7, and her words up to 66.

Lily barked that a truck came out of nowhere and hit them. 

Desperate for her $1,038, Officer Schulz then said, "And you don't remember anything else that happened before the impact?"  With this line, she was at 8, and her words were up to 77. 

Lily then announced that everything happened pretty fast, and she couldn't recall any more details.

Officer Schulz said, "All right.  If you remember anything else, please call me."   She smiled a little here, because she was up to 9 lines and her words were up to 87.

Lily promised to call her.    Officer Schulz said, "Thank you!" and bolted out the door, confident that she'd nailed all 89 words and all 10 lines, and was assured of getting $1,038 for her appearance.

(And Doug Davidson was probably at home tweeting, "Damn.  I would've done it for $1,037!")

And the most astounding part of it (to me) is that the dumb cop never even asked for the make and model of the car.   When I've been in an accident, that's always the first thing I've been asked. 

wanda

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 08:57:34 AM »
Those words and lines really add up quickly.

Billie

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2018, 09:29:55 AM »
Ricky, that is all very informative!  Thanks for researching this.  Also, you really crack me up.  ;)

Soaprah

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2018, 10:14:36 AM »
Informative and funny, Ricky! Thank you! Love Doug Davidson's line.
Here we've been complaining about silly plot lines, not realizing it all comes down (and doesn't it always?) to the almighty buck.
Drat! Now I'm going to be counting the words of occasional characters, especially during boring scenes.

LucyLou

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2018, 11:55:16 AM »
This is so interesting! Thanks for all of the information Ricky.

So what does that mean for Eric B? How much is a veteran “actor” like him, who is constantly on, making? And how do we convince them to stop and use that money on someone else? Ha!

Capricorn

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 01:26:05 PM »
The only way we'll get rid of Victor is if Eric Braeden is infirm or gone to be with Beelzebub.

deirdra

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 04:03:14 PM »
Insightful & hilarious, as usual, Ricky.  Where's Joe Friday when you need him? When Lily was going on and on about her anxiety over her son's love life, Friday would have said "Just the facts, Ma'am, about the accident".  I'm surprised Lily didn't include what she had for breakfast and how her husband told her she was "smokin-ot" before leaving for "work".

katiesbeach

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2018, 09:30:09 PM »

If I still have the episode where Lily was interrogated by the policewoman, I'm going to go back and count the number of words the policewoman said.    I feel like she probably said less than 50.   She basically just identified herself, announced she was recording the conversation, asked Lily what she remembered, and then said, "If you remember anything else let me know".   They probably snagged her for $451 rather than $1,038.   
I happened to catch that scene and I remember immediately thinking how strange it was that the police lady said so little.  I watch enough shows of Bosch to know that they ask a lot of questions, and if some witness/suspect had rattled on as much as Lily did, they would have picked apart everything she said and asked a million questions.    Sloppy police work/cheap producers.

bren

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2018, 10:21:35 PM »
This is all fascinating.  And it explains a lot, but the writers obviously have to jump through a lot of hoops to make sure they stay within their budget.  I hope Doug Davidson has some great hobbies or loves to play golf or fish on the days he's not on the show. Ricky, thanks for taking the time to do all that research and then explain it to us.  I may watch Y&R differently now. . . .

Maple Leaf

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2018, 04:28:18 PM »
This was very informative.  Obviously Eric Braden gets paid $.50 and hour or they wouldn't be able to afford him.

SANDY B

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2018, 04:43:23 PM »
Ricky, your take on Lily's side of the conversation with the police woman was hilarious.