Author Topic: I'm surprised...  (Read 290 times)

TOUREIFFEL

I'm surprised...
« on: July 31, 2018, 08:55:08 AM »
No one is talking about yesterday's (US) episode? I thought it was outstanding.  The opening scenes, with their use of body language only, with people learning of Hilary's death via voicemail and no one speaking had me in tears before the first commercial, which has never happened to me, at least.

Then the coffeehouse scene with Phyllis and Billy running into each other, Phyllis turns her back, then Billy turns his back, they both have second thoughts and turn around to face each other again, loved it! 

Next, Jack walks in, takes a look at the gathering and quips, "Ah, looks like a meeting of Phyllis' exes!" (paraphrased).  Loved that line.  I thought Camryn Grimes did a great job of keeping GC Buzz going with her heartfelt news of her boss's death.  A sad day with a great ending with Tessa surprising Mariah with a declaration of love and a promise to return soon.  Best episode I've seen in a while. 

Miravep

Re: I'm surprised...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 09:24:27 AM »
I also cried in the opening sequence.  And the ending with Tessa coming back for Mariah was beautiful.

But I was not a fan of Summer coming on to her mother's boyfriend.  That story is just gross.  Summer seems to be getting along with her mom, too, so it is especially gross.

stpauliegirl

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 09:39:53 AM »
I agree, it was a good, soapy episode.  I actually read the detailed day ahead recap and watched the entire show, anyway.  Great performances by everyone.  Is it bad of me to hope that Tessa doesn't return too quickly?

The board has been moving slowly lately.  Probably do with people being busy with Summer activities.  I try to post new topics, but some days the board won't let me. :D

Winza

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 09:49:34 AM »
I agree and told my husband how powerful the wordless notifications of people about Hillary was -- very well handled.  And, honestly, Phyllis and Billy circling each other warily was much sexier than their stupid elevator romps have ever been, IMHO. 

It was a good show.

Devon breaking down at the end with his Dad was what got me, finally.  I hope they don't have him shut down emotionally or go off the rails like he did when he crashed his new sports car.  He's a good guy.  I hope losing Hillary and the baby doesn't totally derail him.  It would be good to see him branch out with some new characters, including Abby, who always has been a good friend to him.

katiesbeach

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 09:54:32 AM »
I was just surprised that Devon (and almost everyone else) insisted on going to work... 

Capricorn

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 10:24:39 AM »
I'm not one for crying or getting emotional during a TV show or movie but this show made me cry... right through the show.  Good acting from all the actors... they all do sad and grieving very well.  I will miss Hillary she was the best bitch ever on Y&R.

maxie

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 10:32:35 AM »
I agree, yesterday's show was very classy and rather arty. (Except for that slut, Summer, who is the opposite of classy).  However, while I realize when a main character dies, they milk it for all it's worth emotionally, I think I will have to fast forward all the Saint Hillary speeches at the funeral.  For goodness sake - that woman was a major beotch except for the last couple of months. I know, it's good soap but I hope they don't overdo it.

Zoe

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 01:57:13 PM »
It was exceedingly well done!  It captured the mood and the feeling when someone dies.  I loved everyone's reactions to hearing the news.  The best of its' kind... ever!

pcrchik

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 06:55:42 PM »
agree, the handling of everyone receiving the news was very well done, since most folks had their own kind of relationship with hilary, it was a nice way to show each reaction and how different they were.

the character of hilary drove me crazy and i did not care for her towards the end, but her passing was handled well.

Billie

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 08:05:32 PM »
I also thought it was arty in the opening scenes when the assorted characters got the news and wordlessly acted out their grief.  Great show all around and good performances for all.  Shed a few tears myself.

I keep thinking what a contrast it was, Hilary's goodbye story vs.  the other actors who have left the show.  Poor Noah.  He got shipped off to India and within hours he was gone with nary a conversation.  Stich didn't even get a mention.  Here one day, gone the next.  Same with Dr. Silverhair and Ravi.  I think it's kind of disrespectful to the actors not to give them a little something on their way out the door.  Hilary had an entire week devoted to her and she was able to really use her acting chops.

Capricorn

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 08:26:47 PM »
I also thought it was arty in the opening scenes when the assorted characters got the news and wordlessly acted out their grief.  Great show all around and good performances for all.  Shed a few tears myself.

I keep thinking what a contrast it was, Hilary's goodbye story vs.  the other actors who have left the show.  Poor Noah.  He got shipped off to India and within hours he was gone with nary a conversation.  Stich didn't even get a mention.  Here one day, gone the next.  Same with Dr. Silverhair and Ravi.  I think it's kind of disrespectful to the actors not to give them a little something on their way out the door.  Hilary had an entire week devoted to her and she was able to really use her acting chops.

True but all the others can actually come back either the same actor or a recast.   Hillary is gone forever, her farewell was well deserved.   I hope if Noah comes back they recast the role with Luke Kleintank who played the role 2010 - 2011.

Billie

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 09:05:24 PM »

Very true but if it's a recast, I still think they should have had at least a memorable exit scene

True but all the others can actually come back either the same actor or a recast.   Hillary is gone forever, her farewell was well deserved.   I hope if Noah comes back they recast the role with Luke Kleintank who played the role 2010 - 2011.
Very true and I'm not disagreeing with the amount of airtime that MM got and I agree that she deserved the beautiful farewell.   It has been a great week, very soapy and emotional.  I just feel a little sorry for the original actors who may or may not be recast.  If recasted (e.g., Noah), he could have gotten more than a few minutes of screentime as he got shoved out the door.  It should/would not dilute the new hire, should that come to pass.   He had been with the show for years.  JMO.

SANDY B

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 09:23:34 PM »
Complete tear jerker for me.