Author Topic: Choice with the Hillary character  (Read 354 times)

Linds

Choice with the Hillary character
« on: July 26, 2018, 06:51:51 PM »
How does everyone feel about the choice to kill the Hillary character vs. recasting? Is M. Morgan's acting so incomparable that we can't imagine anyone else as Hillary? I'm on the fence. I think it's a good character and I'm sad to see her (Hillary and MM) go.. but what is also sad is the loss of the relationship between Devon & Hillary. Bryton & Mishael (at least in my opinion) have excellent chemistry and we know as long term soap watchers - chemistry between actors is not something you can take for granted. Thoughts on killing the character vs. a recast?

LucyLou

Re: Choice with the Hillary character
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 07:00:28 PM »
Iíll admit I have a tough time accepting recasts. I have to warm up to them. But weíve seen successful recasts (Phyllis, Billy, Jack) so I would have to say....a character such as Hilary could successfully be recasted. Many times itís a total bust...hopefully theyíll bring us a Hilary-like character because Iíve loved watching her story play out.

deirdra

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 07:28:32 PM »
Hilary is a selfish, despicable character who came to GC to ruin the Winters family, married Kneel, slept with Devon, was retrieved from the bottom of a cliff and kept unconscious in a boathouse, etc., etc.  The only reason I tolerated or was intrigued by her was because of Mishael Morgan's acting. She was fun to watch commiserating with Mason, but he was unceremoniously dumped. Without Mishael, Hilary should be killed off.  Kneel & Devon have been burdened with a lot of crappy storylines; they need new writers.

SANDY B

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 10:48:45 PM »
I honestly think they could easily find someone to recast the part with.  Maya on B & B plays a great bitch.  Thats just one example. Felisha Cooper  (played Sasha on B&B for a brief period) would make a good Hilary and I think could play the part.  I'd post a picture, but for the life of me I cannot post a pic to this forum from my Macbook Pro.  I have tried everything.

Jonathan

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 07:16:38 AM »
I keep wondering if her body will disappear or something.  Then years down the road, if the actress wants to come back, we will discover that Victor (yes, I blame Victor for pulling the strings on everything) will magically produce her and will have magically had her whisked away and healed at some Swiss hospital in the Alps.  There's a part of me that expects him to do the same with Adam, Delia, and about every other character that has died before his/her time.  No idea what his motives will be with Hillary, but then we already know he has Nate working for him and Nate is her doctor.  I truly believe Victor can do anything on this show, and does not necessarily have to have a reason that we see.  I know this sounds nuts. 

LucyLou

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 08:04:10 AM »
I honestly think they could easily find someone to recast the part with.  Maya on B & B plays a great bitch.  Thats just one example. Felisha Cooper  (played Sasha on B&B for a brief period) would make a good Hilary and I think could play the part.  I'd post a picture, but for the life of me I cannot post a pic to this forum from my Macbook Pro.  I have tried everything.

Please nooooo on Maya.

franniep51

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 10:01:33 AM »
That new girl on B.B., Zoe is a Hilary-like character.  She would do well, in my opinion, but she is a bit younger.  At this point Iím ready for Hilary to die, get it over, and go on with another story.

Peridot

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 10:21:04 AM »
Hilary has been an excellent pot-stirrer, and a breath of fresh air for the Winters family.  However, she's not a core character like Jack, or Jill, or Adam, who IMO were worthy of a recast.  Sometimes I think killing off a character can be a tribute to the actor, much like retiring an athlete's letter.  I think there's plenty of story to be gleaned from Hilary's passing--Devon being a tragic widower, Phyllis losing her best friend, Lily being devastated by guilt, Mariah's career up in the air, etc.  In Hilary's case I wouldn't necessarily object to a recast, but don't really believe it's warranted.

Winza

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 10:57:35 AM »
Hilary has been an excellent pot-stirrer, and a breath of fresh air for the Winters family.  However, she's not a core character like Jack, or Jill, or Adam, who IMO were worthy of a recast.  Sometimes I think killing off a character can be a tribute to the actor, much like retiring an athlete's letter.  I think there's plenty of story to be gleaned from Hilary's passing--Devon being a tragic widower, Phyllis losing her best friend, Lily being devastated by guilt, Mariah's career up in the air, etc.  In Hilary's case I wouldn't necessarily object to a recast, but don't really believe it's warranted.

I'm with you on this, Peridot.  MM has done an excellent job creating a character we hated, loved and got a kick out of -- different days -- but she's also owned way too much of the story for a long time for a new character.  I agree that the current sad stuff will lead to some good story for core characters.  I just hope it doesn't drag on and on and also become an annual sad memorial.  If they want to keep the character and recast her, I'd love the character to move to the background for a while, as Y&R has practically been The Hillary Hour for a while now and some other good characters and actors are scratching for storylines.

carousel58

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 11:31:44 AM »
I never cared for Hilary, but never would wish anyone dead. With that said, I wouldn't have minded if the character was recast.

Linds

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 07:29:05 PM »
I keep wondering if her body will disappear or something.  Then years down the road, if the actress wants to come back, we will discover that Victor (yes, I blame Victor for pulling the strings on everything) will magically produce her and will have magically had her whisked away and healed at some Swiss hospital in the Alps.  There's a part of me that expects him to do the same with Adam, Delia, and about every other character that has died before his/her time.  No idea what his motives will be with Hillary, but then we already know he has Nate working for him and Nate is her doctor.  I truly believe Victor can do anything on this show, and does not necessarily have to have a reason that we see.  I know this sounds nuts.
I wondered if they might do that too.. Chelsea just disappeared.. leaving the door open there and of course Adam.. When they finally get around to recasting him.. they never found a body. So in order for that to be plausible HIllary's body would have to go missing.

Linds

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 07:29:48 PM »
I was thinking that the Winter's family (besides Lilly) finally gets a new strong female lead (ala Dru) and then she leaves..

wanda

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 08:57:09 PM »
I think she should have been recast. No one is irreplaceable.  It always works better if they've been off the canvas for awhile first. I'm never in favor of killing off a character.