Author Topic: Winters family questions  (Read 425 times)

LucyLou

Winters family questions
« on: July 25, 2018, 03:26:20 PM »
Where is Olivia? Sheís been gone for years but I donít remember the circumstances. Nateís dad is Nathan and heís dead right? I vaguely remember those scenes when I was a kid.

Is Nate sticking around? I hope so. Heís got a lot of potential and damn heís hott. Iím not sure who Iíd like to see him paired with romantically. No one jumps out at me except maybe Abby. Sheís a bore in every relationship Iíve seen though 😕

Ricky

Re: Winters family questions
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 05:42:29 PM »

Olivia travels for "Doctors Without Borders".   Nekkid Nate is Olivia's son with Nathan Hastings, previously known as "Kong".   But Olivia didn't want Nekkid Nate to em-u-late Nathan, because Nathan was porking an HIV positive girl.   So she married Malcolm, who changed Nekkid Nate's name to "Little Man".   But then she decided she didn't want Nate to em-u-late Malcolm either.   So she pitched a tyranical fit about Malcolm and made Nekkid Nate play with his Tonka trucks far away from Malcolm.    Then she went to bed with Brad, whose wife Ashley was bald-headed and recovering from breast cancer.    Then she vamoosed. 

Capricorn

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 06:34:25 PM »
Good summation Ricky!

Olivia was a pretty dull character, but then most people would be dull around Drucilla and Malcolm... those two had a lot of charisma.   I haven't missed Olivia since she left.

Peridot

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 07:07:25 PM »
The thing I always liked best about Olivia was her relationship with younger sister Dru.  These two very different siblings had great chemistry.  I don't miss Olivia much either but I think it's exceedingly odd that Nate hasn't so much as mentioned his mother, and no one in the Winters family has asked about her.  But then, I'm always irked by the writers' "out of sight, out of mind" treatment of absent family members.

Ricky

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 07:30:12 PM »

He did actually mention her (in a throw-away line) one day recently, Miss Peridot.   He was standing around mostly nekkid in Uncle Neil's condo and said something about his mother "still being with Doctors Without Borders", then flexed dramatically and changed the subject to Goat Daddy's therapy.   

franniep51

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 08:01:37 PM »
Nate updated Ashley on his mom one of those days she was at Neilís penthouse  I donít remember what he said. Olivia was as dull as dishwater but her son is some kind of hot.

deirdra

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 08:55:51 PM »
Olivia was also known as Dr. Death.  Whenever she took on new patients, we knew they or their babies would end up as goners.  It looks like Nekkid Nate is following in Mommy's footsteps x2.  HOlivia (her other nickname after sleeping with sorority sis Ashley's husband) usually killed the mother or the baby, not both.

Ricky

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 10:35:37 PM »

I can remember getting in BIG TROUBLE with a poster on the Mediadomain Board for calling Nekkid Nate's daddy "Kong". 

When Nathan Hastings was first introduced on the show in 1984, all the characters who encountered him called him "Kong", which was his street name.   We had no idea his name was Nathan, and we had no idea what his last name was.  He was even listed in the credits as "Nathan Purdee as Kong". 

As the months went by, we began to learn a little bit about Kong's background.   He'd dropped out of high school, because he was embarrassed that he couldn't read.   He couldn't hold down a job for very long, and he had ultimately became a reluctant henchman for Alana Anthony's daddy, who was the head of a crime syndicate.   It was the first job in which Kong had ever felt very successful.  Whenever Mr. Anthony wanted something terrible done, he sent Kong out to do it for him.

Bill Bell knew that Nathan Purdee had long-term potential, and signed him to a contract.   Kong slowly became a more and more SYMPATHETIC character, eventually becoming friends with Paul Williams and Amy Lewis.   It was Amy who discovered that Kong couldn't read and began teaching him literacy.   She also discovered that Kong's name was really "Nathan Hastings".    I can remember a very beautiful scene in which Kong began opening up to Amy and telling her about his background and then revealed his real name to her.   Once he learned to read, Kong became a private investigator who worked with Paul and Amy. 

After Amy Lewis (Stephanie Williams) left the show, Kong captured a shoplifter, Drucilla Barber, and learned that she was a lot like him --- she'd dropped out of school without learning to read, either.   He taught Drucilla to read, as a way of thanking Amy for teaching him to read.  Drucilla developed a big crush on Kong and hoped he would marry her, but instead he'd fallen in love with her older sister Olivia Barber, who was a doctor.   Once she finally gave up on Kong, Dru turned her attention to Neil Winters.

Because there was a Nathan Hastings Senior on the show and also a Nathan Hastings Junior, several of us on the MediaDomain boards always referred to the daddy as "Kong", because that had been his official name for about the first 5 years that he was on the show, just as we always referred to Christine Williams as "Cricket" and Katherine Chancellor as "Kay".    All of these characters were introduced to us by their nicknames --- Kong, Cricket, and Kay -- and in each case, it was YEARS before anyone on the show referred to them as Nathan, Christine, and Katherine.   I always have to stop and think about his name being "Nathan Hastings", because for years and years, we'd only heard him identified as "Kong".   Paul, Amy, Andy, Mr. Anthony, Alana, Mary Williams --- EVERYBODY --- referred to the guy as "Kong".    To this day, I always think of the son as "Nate" and the daddy as "Kong".

A new viewer who didn't know the character's history jumped ALL OVER US very dramatically on that MediaDomain board for calling Olivia's husband "Kong".   Said we were terrible racists, hateful people, cruel, mean, disgusting.   We were like, "Ummmm, that's his name.   He's Kong, and he always has been."  And they were like, "Oh, sorry".  lol.     

pjones

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 10:38:53 AM »
Thanks Ricky! I had totally forgotten about Dr Death and Brad (and his Nazi crushing thighs!) hooked up. Ashley and she were besties. Wasnít it the reliquary story where Brad killed a bad guy by choking him between his muscular thighs? Ahh the good old days of Bill Bell and company 🙂

Capricorn

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 11:00:55 AM »
Ricky, you never cease to amaze me with your memory and knowledge of Y&R, your way with words is a bonus.

Ricky

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 11:28:00 AM »

Thanks, I watched every episode pretty closely back in the day ;-)

When I was typing up that post about Nathan Hastings, I found an autographed picture of the actor (Nathan Purdee) on-line.   Like me, Mr. Purdee wasn't big on that "Nathan Hastings" business, either.   He signed the picture, "To Larry ... Thanks for being a fan of Y&R ... God Bless ... Nathan Purdee ... KONG", lol.   

https://www.historyforsale.com/nathan-purdee-inscribed-photograph-signed/dc290315

Capricorn

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 11:48:10 AM »
Yes this is Kong.  When he left the others who took his place were Nathan Hastings.

Ricky

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 11:56:47 AM »

Yep, to me that man is KONG, and I suppose he feels the same way  ;)

The two subsequent actors, Randy Brooks and Adam Lazarre-White were more Nathan-ish than Kong-ish.   (Although I have to admit, I really grew to like Adam Lazarre-White after a few months, and ultimately felt comfortable calling him "Kong", too.   Lazarre managed to capture the 1990s middle-class aspects of Nathan Hastings, but also a certain degree of the 1980s unpredictability associated with the Kong name.   Most viewers didn't like Lazarre-White at all; I was an exception.) 

pjones

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 05:35:50 PM »
I donít remember the name Kong at all. Must have been before I watched on a regular basis.

bren

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 12:26:21 AM »

He did actually mention her (in a throw-away line) one day recently, Miss Peridot.   He was standing around mostly nekkid in Uncle Neil's condo and said something about his mother "still being with Doctors Without Borders", then flexed dramatically and changed the subject to Goat Daddy's therapy.   
Ricky, your posts always make me laugh.  Thanks for my daily chuckle with "Nekkid Nate."

Peridot

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 10:23:53 AM »

Thanks, Ricky, guess I missed that line.  This is what I get for going through the mail or checking my phone when certain characters are on.   ;)

monkeymome3

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 07:51:23 PM »

Thanks, Ricky, guess I missed that line.  This is what I get for going through the mail or checking my phone when certain characters are on.   ;)
Same Peridot