Author Topic: The Dying/Marry storyline  (Read 546 times)

katiesbeach

The Dying/Marry storyline
« on: July 25, 2018, 01:08:55 PM »
Haven't they done this on Y&R a couple of times?  I know they did it when Malcolm's girlfriend was dying and he married her.  Victor divorced Diane to marry Nikki because they said she was going to die - she obviously didn't.  I know they've done it a couple of other times too.  Anyone remember?

Twokeets

Re: The Dying/Marry storyline
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 01:31:59 PM »
On GH they just had a hospital wedding with the bride in her hospital bed, and it reminded me of Hillary & Devon.

Capricorn

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 01:37:07 PM »
After 45 years most of the storylines are going to be repeated.   It's why the really good Primetime shows only last 10-12 seasons.

Ricky

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 02:10:32 PM »

Victor was always marrying Miss Piggy on her deathbed to give her "the will to live".   You'd think the sight of his dilapidated carcass hovering over her hospital bed would've sent her straight to that great Muppet Show in the sky.

Winza

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 02:21:32 PM »

Victor was always marrying Miss Piggy on her deathbed to give her "the will to live".   You'd think the sight of his dilapidated carcass hovering over her hospital bed would've sent her straight to that great Muppet Show in the sky.

Thanks for the best laugh of the day, Ricky!

LucyLou

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 02:23:13 PM »
After 45 years most of the storylines are going to be repeated.   It's why the really good Primetime shows only last 10-12 seasons.

And many of those go stale by season 5 or 6

PatsyB86

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 04:32:03 PM »

Thanks for the best laugh of the day, Ricky!

Hahahahaha!

pjones

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 04:33:00 PM »

Way to put it Ricky! :)

Peridot

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 07:16:49 PM »
Yes, they've done it before.  Malcolm and Keisha, Victor and Nikki, and those are merely the ones I remember.  I don't know, if I were seriously injured about the last thing I'd be wanting to do is struggle into a wedding dress and grit my teeth through a ceremony.  Not sure why they even want to bother.  It's not as though Hilary is the gazillionaire wanting to ensure Devon inherits her wealth, and they have no children to do right by.  Guess the writers want to wring as much melodrama as possible out of Hilary's last days.

stpauliegirl

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 08:44:07 PM »
Yes, they've done this before and it isn't working, for me at least.  I guess Devon doesn't know Hilary knows she is dying and he thinks that somehow marrying her will let her die happy.  Sorry, but they had a tawdry little romance the first time around and their decision to have a baby together was pretty unbelievable.  Hilary and Devon cheated on Neil when he was blind and caused him a lot of pain.  Their first marriage didn't last long.  In fact, it started falling apart almost as soon as Hilary was rescued from the boathouse.  No reason to believe marriage number 2 would last any longer if Hilary were to recover and survive.

deirdra

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 10:35:24 PM »
When I had a ruptured appendix at 17 I was in the hospital and my father & grandmother (both in the medical profession) had hang-dog looks as if they knew I was on death's door and were pretending that everything was OK.  It was very exhausting for me to try to cheer them up, so I suspect Hilary feels the same.

PatsyB86

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 12:57:06 PM »
If Hillary is going to die, I still don't understand what that meeting was all about with that man a couple of weeks ago? I missed part of it but something about "Devon must never know"...

Ricky

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 01:08:20 PM »

I've been wondering the same thing.

Clearly, that man (Marc) was offering Hilary a better job away from Genoa City.    Hilary said, "You paint a very enticing picture.  I'm tempted, believe me.  But the timing is all wrong.  Six months ago, I was free as a bird, and if we'd talked then, it might've been an entirely different conversation.   No.  I know that it would've been an entirely different conversation.  But Devon and I have been working really hard to build something solid, and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize that.   My mind is made up.  For NOW, anyway.   That's why I brought up the D-word -- DISCRETION.  I hope that we can keep what we talked about between the two of us."   (That's not verbatim, but it's very close to what she told Marc.)

All the fans are 100% sure that Hilary is going to die, and it certainly appears that way.   But I think there's a very small chance that she might not, and she might take Marc's job offer and start over in another city with a better job, to mourn the loss of her baby.    I think the writers were leaving that door open, to make us wonder about it. 

maxie

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 01:34:58 PM »
Wow, that scenario would certainly explain the otherwise useless meeting we witnessed.  Capricorn said MM had several weeks to go,( that was one or two weeks ago I think), so unless she does recover, we are in for some excruciatingly endless deathbed scenes, heaven forbid.

Ricky

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 01:48:06 PM »

Well, with this "deathbed wedding" taking place, it's hard to believe that Hilary will recover and then walk away from Devon.   BUT I do believe that possibility exists.   Her baby that she wanted so badly is GONE, and it was her argument with Lily that led to all of this, and Lily doesn't even remember running the red light.   It seems remotely possible that all of this will come to light in a few days, and Hilary will just walk away from it all and take Marc's "very enticing" job offer in another city.  That seems to be the motivation of the writers in placing all of this out there for us to mull over, and also placing Mariah in a position to meet Marc and found out that he was having a "secret meeting" in the middle of the GCAC with Hilary.

The actors involved in the storyline (Bryton, Cristal, Mishael, etc) recently tweeted a photograph of them all together captioned with, "Remember that it's only fiction, and no matter what happens, we really do love one another", or something to that effect.   They seemed to be previewing that there's about to be a LOT of angry drama among the characters.           

Soaprah

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 02:52:36 PM »
Another way to look at Hilary's "secret" meeting with Marc-- perhaps at that point, the writers hadn't a clue about what to do with the Hilary character, so they gave her-- and themselves-- a way out.
Now it looks like the writers have definitely made up their minds which path to take.

Ricky

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 03:01:20 PM »

Oh, yeah, she definitely appears to be a goner, no doubt about it.    But I don't think it's a coincidence that the meeting with Marc occurred exactly one day before the collision with the truck.    The writers were bound to know one day before the collision whether or not they intended to kill the character off.   And if they'd opted to kill her, why the secret meeting with Marc, and why were Mariah and Tessa allowed to witness it?   I guess we'll find out in a few days!   (I haven't read any spoilers about it, because I've been enjoying wondering, lol.)   

deirdra

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 03:28:58 PM »
Another way to look at Hilary's "secret" meeting with Marc-- perhaps at that point, the writers hadn't a clue about what to do with the Hilary character, so they gave her-- and themselves-- a way out.
Knowing TPTB, they could have Hilary die and her body disappear like Christian's, leaving Hilary or her evil twin to return in the future.  Or Marc could have just been a red herring or a winner of some "appear on Y&R" prize.

I did enjoy Hilary's pre-wedding nightmare with the minister's funereal pronouncements.  Her injury and wedding makeup were also very well done.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 03:57:18 PM by deirdra »

DianeM

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2018, 04:14:38 PM »
And what was the reason they made Hilary super bitchy when she met Nate?

Ricky

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 04:36:54 PM »
And what was the reason they made Hilary super bitchy when she met Nate?

Possibly so that the guy she hated could be the doctor who saves her life?   
Or maybe so that the guy she hated could be the doctor who presides over her death?

(Seriously, I expect that Nekkid Nate was introduced to be part of a triangle involving Devon and Hilary.   But then in June, Hilary decided not to renew her contract, and the writers had to scrap that idea entirely and start the Miscarriage/Hospital Bed/Lily's Bad Driving storyline instead.   However, it seems that Marc's mysterious visit with Hilary was part of the re-write once the writers knew for certain that Hilary would be exiting.) 

jpa777

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 05:52:05 PM »

Havenít posted here in a while, but thanks for the much needed laugh!  :D  Too funny!

DebR

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 11:03:46 PM »
The first time Hilary married Devon MM was pregnant in real life.  How coincidental that MM is pregnant again in real life when marrying Devon a second time.

pcrchik

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2018, 06:20:33 PM »

;D ;D ;D ...the visuals on this alone...LOL!