Author Topic: Mr. Mumbles stumbles again . . .  (Read 736 times)

Peridot

Mr. Mumbles stumbles again . . .
« on: July 24, 2018, 07:13:26 PM »
. . . through his dialogue, that is.  Honestly, I think I understood all of 5 words Cane uttered today.  The guy makes me want to scream.  IMO the show needs to insist the actor go on hiatus until he can learn to speak clearly.  Viewers have had to put up with this unprofessional claptrap for years now.  No excuse for it.

I feel better now.   ::)   

Chuckles

Re: Mr. Mumbles stumbles again . . .
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 07:36:18 PM »
Peridot -- Boy, so I agree with you.  In fact, I imitated Cane today to a friend after he garbled the sentence and I sounded like a chicken. I couldn't understand a word he said and neither could my friend.  He speaks quickly and seems to bite into the words he's trying to say.  Hard to believe that the director puts up with that.  So unprofessional.

SANDY B

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 07:40:12 PM »
I'm ready for Ricky to chime in on this one!

wanda

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 07:54:46 PM »
I totally agree. Today when Cane was speaking to Jack at the GCAC, I couldn't understand a single word he said. That was the worst mumbled jumbled mess I ever heard. I had to rewind and turn on CC. I think at this point Victor could even help Cane with his diction.

Billie

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 08:12:31 PM »
I totally agree. Today when Cane was speaking to Jack at the GCAC, I couldn't understand a single word he said. That was the worst mumbled jumbled mess I ever heard. I had to rewind and turn on CC. I think at this point Victor could even help Cane with his diction.
Same here but I couldn't be bothered to rewind.  I don't care about the actor or the character in the slightest.  As others have posted, the director should make sure he speaks more clearly and work on his sloppy diction.   The last guy who played Kyle (Lachlen something?) was Australian and you would never know it, he sounded completely American to me.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 11:36:39 AM by Billie »

Ricky

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 09:29:34 PM »

I didn't have any problems today.   Cane looked up from his file folder and said very clearly, "Why, I know that we heard it's a forest of clams and mosquitoes, but Sick Connie's not out there celebrating four Ziplocks who went off and ran over them."

The close-caption feature indicated he said something entirely different:   "Well, I know it's been hard for you to land on your feet, Jack, since companies aren't exactly salivating for executives whose best days are behind them."

If I'd been the director of that scene, I believe I would've just walked over there and slapped his jaws for not even trying to open his mouth.   

deirdra

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 10:08:13 PM »
DG should go back to his roots - modelling underwear and grunting through The Beastmaster.

Jonathan

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 11:05:40 PM »
I did enjoy the Beast Master series.  Have they ever worked in some kind of joke about that on this show?  Someday the kids could be looking through old pictures and find their dad in a loincloth and wonder what was up with that.

DebR

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 11:08:23 PM »
I like DG and donít mind Cane for the most part because I love their strong little family.  However, I really couldnít understand him today. Thanks for clearing it up, Ricky.

Zoe

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 12:07:58 AM »
The worst!

SudzBearCat

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 06:57:12 AM »

I didn't have any problems today.   Cane looked up from his file folder and said very clearly, "Why, I know that we heard it's a forest of clams and mosquitoes, but Sick Connie's not out there celebrating four Ziplocks who went off and ran over them."

The close-caption feature indicated he said something entirely different:   "Well, I know it's been hard for you to land on your feet, Jack, since companies aren't exactly salivating for executives whose best days are behind them."

If I'd been the director of that scene, I believe I would've just walked over there and slapped his jaws for not even trying to open his mouth.

I love you for this. 

stpauliegirl

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 08:13:25 AM »
I don't mind DG either, but I couldn't understand most of what he said today.  Like others, I didn't care enough to rewind to try to figure it out.  You could tell the dialogue wasn't important, so I didn't bother.  Good thing Cane and Victor don't have many interactions.  We wouldn't be able to understand a thing.  At least PB has good diction, so we could understand half the conversation.

PatsyB86

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 11:11:22 AM »
I saw DG on an episode of the tv series Monk from probably over 10 years ago.  He was young, cute, energetic and spoke perfectly (at least from what I remember)! He played a murderer though.

monkeymome3

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 03:26:21 PM »
Today (Wed US) when he was talking to Hilary, didn't get one word.  Not one word. Ricky? Can't wait to hear what you got!

Ricky

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 05:29:28 PM »

Clear as a bell!

He said, "When I flew down to the Virgin Isles with you and Jeremy, I chewed off a limb!"

The close-captions offered something entirely different, though.   "When I found out about that video you made of Juliet, I cut you out of his life."   

Peridot

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 07:11:41 PM »
Well, amazingly enough, I did understand Cane's line about Juliet.  I'm with Ricky about the director needing to slap Daniel Goddard.  I would pay money to see that.  If the guy can't speak clearly maybe someone can prod TPTB into dubbing his lines by someone who can.

SudzBearCat

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2018, 05:24:32 PM »
The writers should dub over his lines, like they do in the original Godzilla movies.

missybug88

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2018, 07:28:16 PM »
Maybe he had cottonballs in his mouth, like Marlon Brando in The Godfather...

Zoe

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 08:41:57 PM »
And it's not because he is an Aussie!  There are plenty of Aussies with an accent that I have no problem understanding.  He needs to E N U N C I A T E.

deirdra

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2018, 05:15:09 PM »
And it's not because he is an Aussie!  There are plenty of Aussies with an accent that I have no problem understanding.  He needs to E N U N C I A T E.
Same here.  I know several Aussies and have no problem understanding them or Tristan Rogers who plays Cane's father.  DG is either lazy or figures if EB can earn big bucks for mumbling, why should he bother enunciating?

monkeymome3

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2018, 05:54:20 PM »
I don't even try to understand him anymore because he's usually just lying or whining about something.  He's not important.

Winza

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2018, 06:19:25 PM »
Maybe Ricky's explanation (under another topic) about how these actors are paid -- by the appearance or by the word -- has something to do with this.  Maybe it's by the word that is intelligible.  So Cane can be on everyday and still stay under the budget because 90% of his words cannot be understood. ;)

monkeymome3

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2018, 08:44:30 PM »
We should start a category for Ricky to explain Cane's words to us every time he's on!  He's so funny!

wanda

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2018, 09:09:23 PM »
I don't even try to understand him anymore because he's usually just lying or whining about something.  He's not important.

You got that right.

DebR

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2018, 11:57:24 PM »
Thatís interesting that people still canít understand him.  Lately, he seems to be speaking more clearly to me.