Author Topic: Devonís attempt at grieving looks like heís laughing  (Read 477 times)

Kramer

Devonís attempt at grieving looks like heís laughing
« on: July 23, 2018, 10:30:22 PM »
is it just me? Every time I saw Devon today it looked like he was trying to keep a straight face and was about to bust out laughing. He just canít pull off these scenes.

Capricorn

Re: Devonís attempt at grieving looks like heís laughing
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 10:44:15 PM »
Sorry, I didn't see what you saw.  I saw the actor portraying a grieving man very realistically.   Not everybody has a ugly cry face.

Soaprah

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 11:12:57 PM »
I think Bryton James is doing a great job at portraying deep grief.

SudzBearCat

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 06:29:57 AM »
I didn't see that either.  He looked crushed to me.  I think some of his emotion is stemming from the fact that he and MM are close in real life and he's probably going to miss her.

Winza

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 07:34:52 AM »
I thought he did a good job.  He's not a big emotions guy to begin with, so this was quiet grief and it worked for me.

jinx

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 12:56:47 PM »
I thought he did a good job. I'm not looking forward to scenes with the various family members but I thought his reaction was natural and realistic.

carousel58

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 02:39:15 PM »
I don't see it either. I think Devon is very sad Hillary isn't doing well. In fact, I think he's doing a great job covering up what he already knows so Hillary doesn't find out how sick she really is.

deirdra

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 03:29:29 PM »
Devon is trying to look happy & hopeful in front of Hillary so she won't know she is bleeding to death internally, but devastated when out of her eye-line.

Ricky

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 07:01:44 PM »

Oh lord, I can barely look at him.   He looks so heart-broken.

When he first came on the show back in 2003 (??) he was my favorite character, because of that wounded little face he wore all the time.    Drucilla and Neil would do something especially nice for him --- remember the Christmas when they bought him the new tennis shoes? --- and he'd try to look as though he wasn't impressed because he didn't wanna betray too much emotion, but you could see in his face how badly he wanted to be part of a family, and how desperately he wanted to be Neil and Dru's son.   He was the most pitiful-looking little boy I'd ever seen in my life.

He looks just as pitiful and lost now in the hospital as he did back then in the rec center.   Completely breaks my heart. 

He wanted to be a daddy to Hilary's baby just as badly as he wanted to be Dru's son.   When he walked into the hospital on Friday's show and Neil told him that the baby was dead, I just immediately had to turn off the program and come back later after I'd stopped feeling sorry for him. 

We all have our own prejudices about 'acting' -- who's a good actor, who's not a very good actor --- but it's all completely subjective.   I've always thought Bryton is one of the very best on the show, especially when he's portraying unspeakable sadness.  I'm always sold on whatever emotion that he presents to the audience, but when he presents that deep-down-to-the-core sadness, I sometimes just can't look at him.   

Peridot

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 07:05:10 PM »
I think Bryton is doing just fine, or as fine as he's ever done.  Devon has portrayed grief and sorrow before and I don't see much difference this time.

Billie

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 08:07:24 PM »
I also think he's doing a great job.  I loved the scene between Hilary and Lily today.  Well done on both their parts.

jinx

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 08:36:20 PM »
Through their whole discussion I was afraid Lily was going to slip and say something and Hilary would know she was dying. I don't think Devon should have told anybody but I'm sure telling Lily was for story purposes.

Maple Leaf

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 09:04:18 PM »
BJ and MM both deserve an Emmy for their performances this week. 

Capricorn

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 10:11:26 PM »
Through their whole discussion I was afraid Lily was going to slip and say something and Hilary would know she was dying. I don't think Devon should have told anybody but I'm sure telling Lily was for story purposes.

Telling Lily is ok because she's family but telling Phyllis is the biggest mistake... she's a motor mouthed, know it all and the entire Genoa City will know in record time.

deirdra

Re: Devon’s attempt at grieving looks like he’s laughing
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 10:19:55 PM »
Telling Lily is ok because she's family but telling Phyllis is the biggest mistake... she's a motor mouthed, know it all and the entire Genoa City will know in record time.
She told Nick & Sharon and I don't recall her telling them to not to repeat it, so they could easily do it innocently.

Bryton grimaces when he laughs and when he is devastated.

Gemini

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 11:50:31 PM »
Maybe Devon is laughing because Hilaryís injuries look like she was playing with lipstick!

missybug88

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 08:00:48 PM »
is it just me? Every time I saw Devon today it looked like he was trying to keep a straight face and was about to bust out laughing. He just canít pull off these scenes.

I noticed the same thing, but thought I was being cynical and that maybe he was trying to be cheerful. It just seemed awkward when Hillary was asking him to move on without her.