Author Topic: Y & R loses one million viewers in six months? Wonder how true this is?  (Read 882 times)

SANDY B

http://www.showbiz411.com/2018/06/14/soap-suds-young-and-the-restless-has-lost-1-million-viewers-since-late-december-where-did-they-go
It honestly wouldn't surprise me.  I think this crap with destroying the Abbott family hasn't sat well with people.   It's a core family and they have all but torn them apart limb by limb.  Dina should have NEVER been brought back, simply to tear up a family.

Capricorn

Too much Victor, Nikki, Victoria, Phyllis.    Fresh faces needed.

SANDY B

Yes, and they don't seem to be interested in expanding or changing it up.  It seems nowadays they prefer to just eliminate a character as opposed to recast. Recast was hugely commonplace in soaps for a long long time.

katiesbeach

Victor ALWAYS coming out on top is boring.  Carving up the Abbott family is a bad risk.  Putting Sharon in the middle of another lie is just plain repetitive.  No one is interesting on this show anymore.  There is no romance on this show.  Phyllis and Billy are not romantic.  Just lust.  Same way she was for the most part with Nick.  And I don't really like Hilary or her 'relationship' with Devon, but I do think that it is going to hurt the show with her departure.

DianeM

I too am tired of the lust scenes.  No romance in them at all, although Hilary and Devon's scene today was pretty romantic.  Unfortunately, I'm not interested in them.  Adam and Sharon were the most romantic in their scenes, and I miss that. Why must the couple start ripping their clothes off after a kiss?  Doesn't matter where they are.  It's just ridiculous.....and not romantic.

deirdra

A who killed Victor Newman storyline could attract a lot of people who were turned off because it has become the Victor Newman show.

DebR

If it is true, it makes me so sad.  Itís weird how when the remaining soaps got renewed they started to go downhill.  I donít think writers know how to write for soaps.  I still watch and enjoy but I know they want everything to be their version of a soap.  Fast, with no building of friendships and relationships. 

People get bored with everything too quickly, IMO, look at shows (Today show, etc.) where segments are only a few minutes long, and rushed.

pcrchik

amen!!

Jonathan

I'm all for the Who Killed Victor Newman story line too.  You want ratings to go up then give us what we want, his head on a silver platter and everyone on the show a suspect.   

Peridot

One problem is the show has been on the air for so long they're recycling all the same tired plot devices.  Jack is just the latest in a long line of characters experiencing a paternity surprise.  Boring.  Jack is in his 60s; there was no need for this twist.  Characters like Victor and Nikki, and Nick and Sharon, breaking up/reuniting/breaking up/reuniting.  Again, boring.  It's happened too many times for me to care any longer.  I find it astounding that the writers can't come up with any fresh ideas.  Maybe they're all just getting tired and need to hang it up.

Ricky

One problem is the show has been on the air for so long they're recycling all the same tired plot devices.  Jack is just the latest in a long line of characters experiencing a paternity surprise.  Boring.  Jack is in his 60s; there was no need for this twist.  Characters like Victor and Nikki, and Nick and Sharon, breaking up/reuniting/breaking up/reuniting.  Again, boring.  It's happened too many times for me to care any longer.  I find it astounding that the writers can't come up with any fresh ideas.  Maybe they're all just getting tired and need to hang it up.

That's a problem that was seriously plaguing Y&R in the early 1980s.   We'd seen Lorie and two different Leslies fight over about 5 suitors.   Kay Chancellor and three different Jills had fought over two different Phillips and three different Dereks.    Peggy and two different Chrises had been raped.   Two different Snappers had cheated on two different Chrises.    Four different Gregs had experienced crushes on two different Chrises.   It was just getting repetitious as hell.   Bill Bell saw the problem, and when Jaime Lyn Bauer left the show shortly after David Hasselhoff's exit, he said, "To hell with this mess" and completely reinvented the entire show around Jabot Cosmetics, Newman Enterprises, and the exploits of Paul, Andy, and Amy.    It was a big risk, but the payoff was that by 1982 Y&R had developed into a whole new show that was still anchored by Kay Chancellor, Jill Foster, and Nikki Reed but had nothing at all in common with that repetitious mess of a show that had existed in 1981.    Someone with some guts needs to take a risk like that again, but everyone's too terrified to do it.   

Capricorn

Yes Ricky, I agree with everything you say but everyone is not too terrified to do it.    Everyone is too terrified of Eric Braeden.   They all bow and scrape at his feet, they all think he's some studly leading man, hero and that the show can't go on without him.

Kai

Victor ALWAYS coming out on top is boring.  Carving up the Abbott family is a bad risk.  Putting Sharon in the middle of another lie is just plain repetitive.  No one is interesting on this show anymore.  There is no romance on this show.  Phyllis and Billy are not romantic.  Just lust.  Same way she was for the most part with Nick.  And I don't really like Hilary or her 'relationship' with Devon, but I do think that it is going to hurt the show with her departure.
I completely agree with you about Victor always winning.  They continue to write him as a virile man when he looks and acts like an blustering, old man.  He's looking really bad lately.  The other thing about the show that I really dislike is that everyone except maybe Christian and Faith is always doing evil deeds. The plotting and scheming is way out of control and boring.  I really need to stop watching.

Capricorn

Re: Y & R loses one million viewers in six months? Wonder how true this is?
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 09:53:52 PM »
This is a thread worth looking at again with the exit of Eileen and the change in status of Doug Davidson, Christian LeBlanc and Christel Khalil.

SANDY B

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 10:13:05 PM »
Yes, it is.

Ricky

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2018, 12:41:07 AM »

It's interesting to watch the change occurring.   There have DEFINITELY been some mis-steps, but at least someone is trying. 

Cute little Hilary Curtis needed to stay.  Her character seemed to be positioned right in the absolute center of the "new show", and losing her was pretty tragic.  The "new Y&R" needed a young, bitch-vixen type character, and Mishael Morgan played that part beautifully.  If I were a Y&R exec, I believe I would've found a way to make a budget cut somewhere else and keep Hilary on the show during this transition period.

The Rosales family has had an awkward introduction.   We've been seeing Arturo for a while, but he's not an especially well-written character, and unfortunately his haircut and his beak make him look a little bit like Heckle and Jeckle, as someone noted a while back.   But my main problem with him is just the WRITING for him.   He hasn't been shown making friends with anyone, or doing anything heroic, or having a tragic backstory, or ANYTHING to make us care about him individually as a character.   We've just seen him as Miss Piggy's latin lover briefly, and then as Abby's latest doomed sidekick.  That's no way at all to introduce a character whose purpose is to anchor a new core family. 

Rey Rosales bores me to tears.   All of his selfies with Goats & Piggies, all of his jotting in composition pads --- it's kinda ridiculous.  Also those "male bonding" scenes he's had with Nicholas came out of nowhere, and it gave the accidental impression that he wanted to take Nick out on a date.  ("Hey bud, let's go check to Chicago and check out a Bears game!  Hey bud, do you like the Brewers?   Hey bud, let's go get a beer!)   I howled like a hyena during those scenes.    The two characters barely knew each other, yet everytime Nick turned around, there stood Rey Rosales asking him out. 

If Rey were a little bit nicer OR a little bit more intimidating, AND if we'd been given a good reason to care about Arturo as a character, maybe we'd have more sympathy for Arturo's fear of interacting with him.   I've got no complaints about Lola.   But I think I would've introduced Lola before I introduced Rey, and I would've sat at my typewriter for a while giving more thought about how to develop Arturo and Rey more fully as characters.   I really admire the show for adding them to the mix, but just having a Latin family ain't gonna help the ratings at all if the characters aren't gonna be written well.     

Billie

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2018, 09:22:36 AM »
Ricky, you need to apply for a writing position at Y&R to get this show back on track.  For real.

Capricorn

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2018, 12:00:04 PM »
No just writing.   Ricky needs to be in charge of the whole shebang... oversee all the producers, directors and writers.   I'm sure all of us here would crown him King of Y&R.   ;D ;D

Maple Leaf

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2018, 05:24:29 PM »
I agree!  Rickyís posts are more interesting than the show!

Ricky

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2018, 06:30:11 PM »

Y'all are sweet.

But seriously, it would've been so easy to create more interest in the Rosales family during their introduction.   They've had months to work with Arturo, but chose not to create any mystery about him (other than his sister's bra).   If he's "done something" that he wants to keep secret, they could've explored that aspect of his character more thoroughly than just having him shush Abby at the Dark Horse party.   They could've created several interesting (and subtle) little scenarios where he tries to keep a low profile by ducking away from a TV interview with Hilary or a newspaper story about the housing project.   And if the "end goal" was to have Devon reconcile with Lily in prison, they could've easily had Arturo play a role in that, so that we would find Arturo sympathetic and family-oriented.   He could've done some construction work for Devon, become friendly with Devon, and then it could've been Arturo who convinces Devon to reconcile with Lily, using his own relationship with Lola to explain the importance of brothers and sisters staying close in times of turmoil.  The scenes would've practically written themselves.   By the time Arturo convinced Devon to visit Lily in jail, we would've ALL been Arturo fans, because we'd view him as a guy who sincerely cares about his little sister and who wants other guys to treat their sisters well, too.  And we'd be hoping that his "secret" isn't anything TOO TERRIBLE, because we would be invested in him as a young hero. 

And Rey, I don't know what to say about that.  If they wanted him to appear THREATENING to Arturo and Lola, then why didn't they have him appear in town under an alias --- Patrick Hernandez, or something?   And then have Sharon Newman discover that he was using a false name and that his true identity was Rey Rosales.   By then, we'd have been curious about him, and we'd say, "Oh no!  That's the dude Arturo and Lola are scared of!"

There would've just been a million ways to generate interest and sympathy for the three Rosales siblings, other than just blandly plop all three of them onto the screen and say, "Ok folks, we've filled our Latin quota!  Here they are!"       

deirdra

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2018, 09:18:52 PM »
We should get everyone we know watching for the next month.  If ratings soar when Victor is not there, it would give TPTB a strong message.

supagal21

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 04:22:06 PM »
I havent watched for awhile, months now. Just reading recaps. To me the whole JT storyline is dragging too much. It should have been solved. None of the characters make sense. Example the accident for Hillary. All of a sudden Hillary character was getting praise from the Winter clan and everybody including devon forget how nasty she had been. Another sl that I don't care about is Tessa and Miriah. They should just send Tessa away. Also why was summer brought back to fight Philliys for Billy. What did her mom ever do to her. Nothing makes sense in this show anymore

Peridot

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 10:04:05 PM »
Re the comments on the Rosales family, I have to agree about Arturo.  They have not utilized him very well.  Maybe they could have Arturo dig into Abby's romantic past, then when he finds out what inevitably happens to Abby's love interests, have him hightail it to Miami.

Rey I don't mind too much but they really need to give the guy a personality.  That brooding air of stubble and mystery is kind of getting on my nerves at this point.  I'd also like to know what Rey did to tick off Arturo so badly.

Lola is my favorite of the family so far.  I like that she has a food truck; I don't think Y&R has ever had that.  I just hope they don't glam her up too much and make her the star chef at the GCAC or something in order to make her more "acceptable" as a partner for Kyle.

Capricorn

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2018, 10:14:17 PM »
Rey probably pulled a young and wayward Arturo up by the boot strings and made him do better and make something of himself.   Arturo is like Stitch, just there without a purpose or personality.   I find him unattractive and unappealing in every way.   I like Rey and Lola.

Maple Leaf

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2018, 12:59:10 PM »
I like the interaction between Kyle and Lola.  I see a budding romance!

bren

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2018, 01:04:52 AM »
After 40 years (that seems incredible to me), this diehard fan has completely lost interest in the show, the characters, the fumbling story lines . . . I tried watching after about a month off, and all but gagged.  So I'll check in with this board every week or so, but Mal Young has completely wrecked Y&R for me.  I recognize new characters, even new families, need to be brought on board, but nothing I've seen so far has any interest for me at all.  So, thanks, everyone, for keeping up -- I'll be checking from time to time.  Ricky, you are a jewel.

'Bye.  Bren