Author Topic: Great performance from "Wojo"  (Read 121 times)

Winza

Great performance from "Wojo"
« on: March 08, 2018, 08:07:55 AM »
I used to enjoy Max Gail as Wojo on Barney Miller.  Now he's breaking my heart on GH as a man sadly slipping into Alzheimers.  What a performance!  When he had that big smile when he recognized lovely Elizabeth, it was beautifully sad. 

I hate these Alzheimers storylines (there is one on Y&R right now too), but it sure is giving older actors some great material.

lawgirl

Re: Great performance from "Wojo"
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 02:03:42 PM »
I agree with you about his performance.  Incredibly moving.  I find that the way GH is dealing with this disease is much more realistic and moving than the way it is being portrayed on Y&R, even though Marla (Dina) is doing a wonderful job.  I don't think it has to do with the way the actors are portraying their characters -- it's the way the characters are being written.  Additionally, in this type of storyline, the supporting actors (and writing for them) is really important -- and on Y&R Jack is chewing the scenery, while all the acting on GH is much more subdued. 
Even MB (Sonny) who I feel overacts quite a bit is believable.

bonjour

Re: Great performance from "Wojo"
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 10:38:33 AM »
I've always loved Max Gail, all the way back to Barney Miller, and enjoyed him in anything I could catch after that.  The writers are doing an excellent job writing Mike's Alzheimer's. Heartbreaking that his girlfriend of 5 years bailed on him, but it was realistic in that she wasn't his wife and an addict herself and knew it would make her relapse to become his caregiver.

Max Gail is just phenomenal, and it's also showing a side to Sonny and Maurice Benard's acting skills, I've never seen before.  I can even tolerate Carly in her kind and compassionate ways with Mike.

I watch both YandR and GH, and both are doing Alzheimer's stories.  Though I love Marla Adams playing Dina, the writing and Max Gail's portrayal on GH is far more realistic and convincing.