Author Topic: Incredibly nutty but I loved watching the court stuff/US viewers, get your eyes ready to roll today  (Read 493 times)

SAlby

good lord, I can't wait to see what you all have to say about Wednesday episode!!  my finger are itching wanting to type away, listing all the stupidity!!!

Until tomorrow  ;) ::)

Augie

Incredibly nutty but I loved watching the court stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 01:01:54 PM »
i love a Y&R court battle even when you can figure the outcome before midstream.  Dina and her memoir made this one ten times more challenging and interesting and I wouldn’t have missed that last minute of today’s show for anything.  I never ever would have guessed that one.....but maybe I’m the slow one here.  Dina and Graham.....the sly fox.  She looks pretty happy for the moment.  .Anyway......can’t wait for tomorrow. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:10:41 PM by Augie »

SAlby

Re: US viewers, get your eyes ready to roll today (Wed)-no spoilers
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 01:32:41 PM »
So tell me what you thought about the day in court.  I near turned off the show with the silliness that happened at the end.

First you see Ashley telling Tracy she thinks she found what they need.  Then you see Tracy looking at it and Ashley rushing her say "we have to go, read it in the car!". 

Next thing they are in court with 3 copies of what turns out to be an inch thick manuscript, complete with florescent post it notations throughout.  What?!  Did Ashley and Tracy travel to court in a mobile office complete with the world's fastest photocopiers and a 10 person team of speed readers?

Also, the clips of Dina typing her manuscript......gah!  Don't zoom in on someone typing if they can't actually type.  Also, why is she wearing the same outfit every time she types up her newest entry?

And finally!  The grand finale exposed secret!  Please, when did they do that?  Over a year ago and keep it secret?  If it was done any more recent then within the past year of her diagnosis, would it not also be subject to Dina being competent to make such a decision?

Anyway, what do you all think?

jinx

I have to agree about the last minute sleuthing just minutes before the scheduled court date. So unrealistic and silly. I just finished watching and haven't had time to think about it all. But am I the only one who saw Graham's announcement coming?

Ricky

I kept thinking Hilary might pop-in to ask if everyone felt EMPOWERED by Ashley and Traci's ability to collate, highlight, and apply post-it notes to  the manuscript in the car, and if Dina and Graham might have flashbacks to the KISS that initially brought them together. 

wanda

Ditto. Ridiculous how quickly Traci and Ashley found the journal and managed to read it, mark it and make it to the court house in time....but trying to block that part out, it was interesting hearing what Dina had written in her journal. I liked that the whole episode focused on this story line and didn't jump all around.

deirdra

I do have to give the judge credit for telling people to stay on topic, unlike the last couple of trials where the last judge sat back and did nothing while a Victor love-fest that had nothing to do with his crimes went on and on, and the judge before that played by Jensen Buchanan was in Victor's pocket.

Were D&G married yesterday?  If they were married before they came to GC or before her stroke, Graham could have used that to claim medical POA & inheritance.  Why keep it secret?  Why did/do they have separate suites?  Why is her name still Mme Mergeron?

Having Michael read in Dina's voice was more compelling than if he had read it in his own voice.

What will be Graham's next move? Putting Dina in the same facility with Mom?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:42:19 PM by deirdra »

DianeM

Could be they're married in name only, and that's why they have separate suites. 

monkeymome3

I kept thinking Hilary might pop-in to ask if everyone felt EMPOWERED by Ashley and Traci's ability to collate, highlight, and apply post-it notes to  the manuscript in the car, and if Dina and Graham might have flashbacks to the KISS that initially brought them together.
LOL!  Thanks for that!  I think Graham feels EMPOWERED but I'm wondering when the marriage took place, before or after the diagnosis.  I sure hope we do not have to witness a KISS between the two of them, oh yuck.

Capricorn

I'm sure they are married in name only but that doesn't change the fact that they are legally married.   The only thing that can help is if the Abbotts can get a doctor to testify that Dina was not of sound mind when they got married.

katiesbeach

I'm sure they are married in name only but that doesn't change the fact that they are legally married.   The only thing that can help is if the Abbotts can get a doctor to testify that Dina was not of sound mind when they got married.
I was just going to post almost word for word what you said Cap.  Great minds :)

Capricorn

Peridot

LOL!  Amazing how Traci and Ashley were able, in about 5 minutes, to find EXACTLY the info they needed out of about a gazillion boxes, flag EXACTLY the right details from Dina's manuscript, and get to the courthouse at EXACTLY the right moment for the evidence to be heard.

I actually hooted when Graham dropped his little bombshell.  When did he and Dina tie the knot?  Before breakfast?  Guess Dina is the latest resident, alongside Sharon, Phyllis, and Ashley, of Cougar Town.  Graham's chemistry with Dina has always seemed more like that of a son with his mother, so the idea of them being married is a little icky to me.  Can't help but enjoy the shock this is sure to be to Jack and Ashley, though.  They're so insufferably righteous I don't feel much pity for them.

Billie

Re: US viewers, get your eyes ready to roll today (Wed)-no spoilers
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 08:29:18 PM »
So tell me what you thought about the day in court.  I near turned off the show with the silliness that happened at the end.

First you see Ashley telling Tracy she thinks she found what they need.  Then you see Tracy looking at it and Ashley rushing her say "we have to go, read it in the car!". 

Next thing they are in court with 3 copies of what turns out to be an inch thick manuscript, complete with florescent post it notations throughout.  What?!  Did Ashley and Tracy travel to court in a mobile office complete with the world's fastest photocopiers and a 10 person team of speed readers?

Also, the clips of Dina typing her manuscript......gah!  Don't zoom in on someone typing if they can't actually type.  Also, why is she wearing the same outfit every time she types up her newest entry?

And finally!  The grand finale exposed secret!  Please, when did they do that?  Over a year ago and keep it secret?  If it was done any more recent then within the past year of her diagnosis, would it not also be subject to Dina being competent to make such a decision?

Anyway, what do you all think?
You posted exactly what I was going to comment on.  Imagine 3 copies of that bound memoir all made during that cab ride.  All 3 had been highlighted and had post it notes.  And Michael!  What a speed reader!  He was able to read the entire manuscript in the one moment alloted and prepare an immediate defense!  I was chucking at Dina's pretend typing and especially appreciated how she must love that pink suit seeing as she wore it throughout ALL of her entries, spanning God know how many months!  I realize this is a soap, but c'mon writers!  All this nonsense suspends even the most basic tenants of common sense.

Also, I didn't like how almost the entire show was the courtroom scene.  In the past, courtroom scenes were nicely interspersed with the rest of the show show as not to drag on and on and on...a real snoozefest.

stpauliegirl

The turbo sleuthing was ridiculous.  Why couldn't they have done this days before?  It would be more realistic to have them looking at documents over the course of a couple days.  They still could have had them find the important info the day of the hearing.  I'm not sure whether they'd be able to get that information admitted into court the way they did it on the show, though.  Usually evidence has to be admitted in advance so both sides can review the evidence before trial in order to develop their arguments.

DebR

That was a surprise twist. If anything, I thought Graham acts like Dinaís son not her husband.  What a gigolo.  I wonder if itíll come out that heís done this to other helpless, wealthy old women.

Billie

I'm still stuck on those archived boxes.  There were no labels on them and they were strewn haphazardly all over the room.  One would think that whoever brought them up would stack them up neatly in piles.  The room looks like the boxes were airlifted and then plunked down to the room willy nilly.  My vote for most unrealistic scene ever.

lawgirl

I'm still stuck on those archived boxes.  There were no labels on them and they were strewn haphazardly all over the room.  One would think that whoever brought them up would stack them up neatly in piles.  The room looks like the boxes were airlifted and then plunked down to the room willy nilly.  My vote for most unrealistic scene ever.

As someone who has sorted through, organized and analyzed the contents of thousands of boxes of legal and business documents in my career, this was so unrealistic that I don't know where to start -- perhaps by saying that a personal journal would never, ever be part of business records!

The writers had a wonderful, informative, emotional story to tell -- with an actress capable of telling it.  They (not Marla)  have made a mess of it!

wanda

Yes, I also wondered why her personal journal was with all of the business documents.

Winza

But seriously, has Michael Baldwin EVER won a case?  Why do they keep hiring him?

Billie

So true Winza!  ;D

pcrchik

As someone who has sorted through, organized and analyzed the contents of thousands of boxes of legal and business documents in my career, this was so unrealistic that I don't know where to start -- perhaps by saying that a personal journal would never, ever be part of business records!

The writers had a wonderful, informative, emotional story to tell -- with an actress capable of telling it.  They (not Marla)  have made a mess of it!

they have turned this into a complete comedy.  i find myself more compelled by the personal stories on this board of those of you who have had similar experiences with this disease. 

from the silliness of the courtroom antics to the documents being discovered to graham and dina running around town together to dina blowing, setting fire and kidnapping structures and children, i find i'm interested in this story for the comedic aspects, and not because i'm actually concerned for the character or want to "learn" any more about this disease as what can happen when shows like this attempt to tackle a true disease.