Author Topic: Can't believe Jack left the medical POA unaddressed  (Read 162 times)

stpauliegirl

Can't believe Jack left the medical POA unaddressed
« on: January 06, 2018, 09:55:10 AM »
He spoke to Michael about challenging Graham's medical Power of Attorney and then let the matter drop.  Seems to me it would be pretty easy to dissolve.  Dina probably has had Alzheimer's for years given the amount of deterioration she is now exhibiting, so she probably didn't have the mental competence to sign something like that.  Given the fact that Graham can be shown to have a grudge against Dina and the rest of the Abbotts and the fact that he has wormed his way into her will, I would think Jack would have been able to have the POA voided, if he had pursued it.

DianeM

Re: Can't believe Jack left the medical POA unaddressed
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 11:14:00 AM »
True, in real life a savvy Jack Abbott would certainly have done that.....but, this is a soap, and they do dumb things.

Capricorn

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 11:50:39 AM »
I think that Michael is the incompetent person in this case, why wouldn't he have seen to it that the Power of Attorney was totally null and void and not just for Florida.   It's just Mal Young's dumb writing.   I guess between Jack, Ashley, Traci and Michael; Graham is still Dina's sole heir.   More dumb writing!   It's just a sad, sad thing that Sally Sussman was pushed out, I wonder when TIIC will realize that the only male of the species who have been able to write for Y&R was Bill Bell... all the other old male farts know nothing about writing for Soap Operas and for the vast percentage of viewers who are women.

monkeymome3

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 12:12:16 PM »
I have been waiting since they got back from Fla for this to get addressed.  More ammunition for Ashley that Jack is incompetent.

lawgirl

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 02:14:50 PM »
I think that Michael is the incompetent person in this case, why wouldn't he have seen to it that the Power of Attorney was totally null and void and not just for Florida.   It's just Mal Young's dumb writing.   I guess between Jack, Ashley, Traci and Michael; Graham is still Dina's sole heir.   More dumb writing!   It's just a sad, sad thing that Sally Sussman was pushed out, I wonder when TIIC will realize that the only male of the species who have been able to write for Y&R was Bill Bell... all the other old male farts know nothing about writing for Soap Operas and for the vast percentage of viewers who are women.

As far as I know, the provisions of a Power or Attorney are subject to the Probate Code of the state under which it was drafted but there is no geographical limitation on its scope.  It would be just as effective in Florida as in Wisconsin.

There are no words to describe my frustration with how this storyline is playing out.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 02:30:58 PM by Capricorn »

SarahTheCat

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 02:17:08 PM »
Here is what lawgirl's tiny text says:

As far as I know, the provisions of a Power or Attorney are subject to the Probate Code of the state under which it was drafted but there is no geographical limitation on its scope.  It would be just as effective in Florida as in Wisconsin.

There are no words to describe my frustration with how this storyline is playing out.

SarahTheCat

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 02:17:44 PM »
Thanks Lawgirl. I did wonder when that Florida thing came up how that made any sense.

deirdra

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 02:21:54 PM »
Here is what lawgirl's tiny text says:

That appears to be true - my parents' POAs were drafted & signed in one state but were applied with no problem in another state after they moved to be closer to my brother. It would be pointless for POAs not to be void in another state (or country) because people are known to move, die or become disabled while travelling.  Even if the POA were not valid in Florida, J&A were taking Dina right back to Wisconsin and should have had Michael take care of it immediately.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 02:27:44 PM by deirdra »