Author Topic: This Is Us October 17th episode  (Read 405 times)

Capricorn

This Is Us October 17th episode
« on: October 18, 2017, 08:12:19 PM »
Well people, I think I've seen enough flashbacks to last me forever... but just show me one where Jack dies already.

I don't know how much longer I can watch this show, but I continue because I want to see how Jack dies.

I've been bored since the middle of the 1st. season and I have no idea why i keep watching... oh yeah to see how Jack dies.

The October 17th episode has to be the most boring so far.  There was just no reason to have to watch three kids going through chicken pox.  Oh yeah I just want to........

wanda

Re: This Is Us October 17th episode
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 09:04:48 PM »
I dread watching Kevin go through a drug addiction.

I couldn't figure out why grown up Kate had an attitude all through the episode . I actually thought she was treating Toby badly. Ends up she is pregnant.

Randall's foster child is kind of an interesting story line.

I think the chicken pox story was to show how wretched Rebecca's mom is.

Maple Leaf

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 08:34:40 AM »
I am tired of the flashbacks as well, but that's the only way they can keep Jack's character relevant, I guess.  What a horrible woman Rebecca's mother is!  Kate being pregnant is kind of cool, but I almost feel that Toby won't be so happy about it. I hate that Kevin is going to get addicted to opioids.  This will surely mean he'll hit rock bottom soon.  Randall and Beth are marvelous as usual.  I love that family the most!

SarahTheCat

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 10:52:26 AM »
I haven't watched this episode yet but I am LOLing at the comments.    Regarding how wretched Rebecca's mom is, at first I thought you said to show how wretched a mom Rebecca is. LOL. Sometimes I really don't think much of her mothering skills. Maybe the fact that she had a wretched mom explains it a little.

deirdra

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 11:28:17 AM »
I'm not a fan of Jack's fathering skills either;  why do TPTB think grabbing one of the kid's heads and grunting like a gorilla 3" from their faces is so endearing?  I hate it.  And I have no interest in seeing Kevin become a drug addict and have started hoping Kate will sit on Toby to shut him up permanently and her frenetic exercising will cause a miscarriage.  Young and present-day Randall and flashbacks of William are the only ones I am tuning in for.

This is what VCRs & PVRs were invented for - to bypass bad writing.

DebR

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 08:56:24 PM »
Justin Hartley was on Ellen the other day and said the writers never expected that people wanted to see how Jack died and it was overshadowing the bigger story.  I wished they never went that route of killing off Jack after building him up so highly.  Justin said Jack’s death is really, really sad.  I figured that which is why I wonder why people need to know so badly.

Capricorn

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 08:59:35 PM »
Yeah? I don't see the big story that's getting shadowed.

wanda

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 09:51:59 PM »
It doesn't matter to me how he died. I don't understand why it is such a big deal to what seems to be a lot of people.

deirdra

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 10:15:14 PM »
It is bizarre that the writers never expected that people wanted to see how Jack died.  They are the ones who have set up the flipping back and forth flashbacks of everything but his death, leaving us with the mystery.  I doubt that people actually want to see Jack die, they are just tired of all the avoidance tactics and just want to know what happened.  Milo has been back on the talk show circuit reminding everyone that his butt was shown before his face. That is not what attracted me to the show either.

SarahTheCat

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 10:39:51 AM »
I find it bizarre too.  At what point did the actor who plays Jack get sworn to secrecy? I read something the other day about how he knew very early on how Jack dies, but he isn't allowed to say anything. So..... to me, that sounds like the writers did indeed know early on that they intended it to be a big mystery for the viewers. That seems to contradict what Justin Hartley said.

lawgirl

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 02:42:17 PM »
I guess I'm in the minority regarding this show.  The flashbacks don't bother me at all. They are being used to provide context and explanation for the characters behaviour in the present day.  I find them clarifying.  We have known from the beginning that Jack died -- how he died is not as important as how his death affected the other characters' development.

However, I am not at all interested in the storyline with the overweight actors - don't remember their names. I cannot stand the male character and the scene where he told everyone about the pregnancy was embarrassing at best -- just a stupid indulgence of the writers.

I wish the Kevin story wasn't going the way of opioid addiction--the writers are going with trendy rather than good writing.  However, I feel Justin is doing a really good job.

katiesbeach

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 06:46:40 PM »
I am now 2 shows behind, and may not get caught up.  Toby & Kate are the main reasons I don't rush to watch.  Not because they are fat, but because they are both super annoying.

Billie

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 08:20:29 PM »
It is bizarre that the writers never expected that people wanted to see how Jack died.  They are the ones who have set up the flipping back and forth flashbacks of everything but his death, leaving us with the mystery.  I doubt that people actually want to see Jack die, they are just tired of all the avoidance tactics and just want to know what happened.  Milo has been back on the talk show circuit reminding everyone that his butt was shown before his face. That is not what attracted me to the show either.
Agree with you deirdra.  They certainly seem to be tantalizing the audience with how Jack dies so they should not be surprised that the audience wants to know.  That's the hook for a lot of people and it feels as though they set it up that way.