Author Topic: Hillary: Supposably  (Read 581 times)

Twokeets

Hillary: Supposably
« on: April 09, 2018, 04:04:24 PM »
I had to chuckle when Hillary was chewing Devon out yet again in the GCAC about the other woman. Striking a pose, she used what sounded like the word "supposably" instead of the actual world "supposedly." Then later she was going on about how she and Devon and are both educated people etc. Very funny!

Capricorn

Re: Hillary: Supposably
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 04:27:07 PM »
Supposably: Capable of being supposed : conceivable

Supposedly: According to what is generally assumed or believed

Devon graduated from GC University - music major / business minor

Hillary has a
Degree in Economics and International Studies from a college in Chicago and speaks three languages.

They are both educated people.   
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 04:31:31 PM by Capricorn »

Gemini

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 05:42:00 PM »
I caught that too!  I hate it when bad grammar is used on television!

LeannaLove

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 05:55:59 PM »
First let me say that I like Hilary, both the character and the actress who portrays here.  Every soap needs a villain/villainess and I like Hil best when she's up to no good.  Balances out the goody two shoes-ness of the Winters clan that they insist on saddling her with.

I did laugh last week though, when someone (was it Mariah?) was droning on about loyalty being one of Hilary's strong points.  Really?  This is a woman who slept with her son-in-law!  I adore her for the reasons stated above but Hilary is loyal only to herself.

Maple Leaf

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 06:35:46 PM »
I really like Hillary - faults and all.  She fires up Princess Lily, and I love her for that!

Capricorn

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 07:22:08 PM »
I caught that too!  I hate it when bad grammar is used on television!

As I stated above the word is real... if you don't believe me, google it.

DebR

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 11:06:05 PM »
I laughed when Hilary said supposably instead of supposedly because my husband always says that.  Iím always correcting him and didnít know until this post that it is a real word!

Ricky

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 12:22:10 AM »

Supposably is a word, of course, but I believe Hilary misused it.   It's a synonym for conceivably.  She said, "You and Simone are supposably an item."   It wouldn't make much sense to say, "You and Simone are conceivably an item."  So I think she was wrong.   She meant to say, "You are Simone are supposedly an item".    (About the only time I hear "supposably" used correctly, it's in conjunction with the weather.   Supposably, it could snow tonight, meaning that conceivably it might snow tonight as the conditions are proper for snow.)   

SarahTheCat

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 10:47:08 AM »

Supposably is a word, of course, but I believe Hilary misused it.   It's a synonym for conceivably.  She said, "You and Simone are supposably an item."   It wouldn't make much sense to say, "You and Simone are conceivably an item."  So I think she was wrong.   She meant to say, "You are Simone are supposedly an item".    (About the only time I hear "supposably" used correctly, it's in conjunction with the weather.   Supposably, it could snow tonight, meaning that conceivably it might snow tonight as the conditions are proper for snow.)   

I agree with you. Also, when I looked it up,  it said that supposably is rarely used in speech. 

Peridot

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 10:53:49 AM »
I didn't catch Hilary's grammar but I do think it's more believable when an actor who's playing an educated person can make an effort to sound like one.  This particular instance doesn't bother me nearly as much as hearing actors who are playing doctors, lawyers, etc. mispronounce terms exclusive to their field.  Please, if you're going to deliver lines with technical jargon, look it up first.

It kills me how Devon is so hot and cold with Hilary.  By now he's well aware of Hilary's worst traits.  Did he really think she wasn't going to ever disappoint him again after he signed that contract?  It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Hilary bed some poor unsuspecting chump, become pregnant, and pass the kid off as Devon's.

Capricorn

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 11:30:19 AM »

I agree with you. Also, when I looked it up,  it said that supposably is rarely used in speech.

My point in replying to the original post in this topic is that the OP inferred that supposably was not an actual word.    It is a word rarely used or not.   Also in my opinion it was also inferred  that Devon and Hillary were not educated people.(even though it wasn't said in those words)   Maybe I was wrong on both counts.   Maybe I should just shut up because well... these are just characters in a fictional Soap Opera and I probably need to take a chill pill.

SarahTheCat

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 11:32:32 AM »

My point in replying to the original post in this topic is that the OP inferred that supposably was not an actual word.    It is a word rarely used or not.   Also in my opinion it was also inferred  that Devon and Hillary were not educated people.(even though it wasn't said in those words)   Maybe I was wrong on both counts.   Maybe I should just shut up because well... these are just characters in a fictional Soap Opera and I probably need to take a chill pill.

I enjoyed your reminder of Hilary's and Devon's education. She's quite a bit more educated than Devon!

SarahTheCat

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 11:41:18 AM »
If it was written in the script as "supposably", then it says more about the writers than about Hilary. I doubt they are trying to portray her as uneducated.

If it was written in the script as "supposedly", then it says more about Mishael Morgan than it does about Hilary. And what it says is unclear. She could have just had a brain fart doing her lines... I sometimes have been known to say a word I didn't mean to say.

Twokeets

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 12:28:48 PM »
I actually like the way this discussion has gone--I never knew about "supposably" and its use, and I'm happy to learn! Looks like I'm the one who needs more education.

Ricky

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 02:00:25 PM »

Speaking of actors not knowing what to do with certain words that appear in the script, it always kills me when a person like Lauren who deals with fashion and so forth has to say the word "exquisite".   Nine times out of ten the actor says, "Ohhhh!  This is just ex-QUIZZ'-it!"   And I don't think that's the word is pronounced.   I believe it's EX-quizzit.   I'm an accountant so I don't go around saying "exquisite" very often, but if I were an actor playing a character who supposedly deals with jewels or artwork or clothing on a regular basis, I believe I'd learn how to pronounce it. 

pcrchik

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 05:03:37 PM »
i am just amazed at devon's naivete when it comes to hilary.  i agree, did he really think she was turning over a new leaf with this mommy/baby business?  at this point i don't feel one bit sorry for devon, he knows EXACTLY what he's getting into with her, so when she acts the fool he shouldn't be surprised at all!  at this point he should just chuckle, look at his watch and time how long it took for the real hilary to come out.

you know this woman, either decide to have a baby with her or not, but all this back and forth is beyond words.  at this point i'm rooting for lily because she was right all along.  ::)

Capricorn

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 05:08:35 PM »
I agree with you pcrchik!

wanda

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 05:11:51 PM »

Speaking of actors not knowing what to do with certain words that appear in the script, it always kills me when a person like Lauren who deals with fashion and so forth has to say the word "exquisite".   Nine times out of ten the actor says, "Ohhhh!  This is just ex-QUIZZ'-it!"   And I don't think that's the word is pronounced.   I believe it's EX-quizzit.   I'm an accountant so I don't go around saying "exquisite" very often, but if I were an actor playing a character who supposedly deals with jewels or artwork or clothing on a regular basis, I believe I'd learn how to pronounce it.

I pronounce exquisite with the accent on the 2nd syllable.  I listened to several pronunciations on line and they also put it on the 2nd syllable. Maybe it depends on what neck of the woods you live in.

wanda

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 05:14:53 PM »
I didn't even know supposably was a word. I never used it.

Ricky

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 07:08:17 PM »

Yeah, I think most people put the stress on the second syllable ("QUIZZ"), but Webster's says that ain't right:   the accent is supposed to be on the first syllable ("EX"), but "common mispronunciation has caused ex-QUIZZ-it to become accepted in some societies".   You'd think a jeweler or a designer on TV would know to accent the first syllable.   But actors don't know ;-) 

Peridot

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 07:19:16 PM »
I've always said EX-quisite, PER-fume, and re-SEARCH.  Probably because some teacher once upon a time told me that was correct and I got in the habit.  However, in my neck of the woods I often hear ex-QUIS-ite, per-FUME, and RE-search.  Word pronunciation often differs from one part of the country to another, but I also think over the years more than one pronunciation has come to be considered correct.

SarahTheCat

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2018, 08:08:40 PM »
I say exQUIZZit, emphasis on the 2nd syllable. I just checked Merriam Webster online, and it has the emphasis on the 2nd syllable. I listened to the audio pronunciation.  I don't think I've ever heard anyone say it with the emphasis on the 1st syllable.

I checked the Cambridge and McMillan dictionaries, and they also emphasized the 2nd syllable.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:09:58 PM by SarahTheCat »

stpauliegirl

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2018, 07:21:40 AM »
I know someone who says supposably when they mean supposedly.  I have to bite my tongue to not correct them.