Author Topic: Abbott DNA........The million dollar question!  (Read 748 times)

SANDY B

Abbott DNA........The million dollar question!
« on: March 31, 2018, 08:30:14 PM »
I am so confused.  If it were to turn out that Jack is not composed of Abbott blood, and his DNA was compared to Tracey's, maybe its Tracey that isn't an Abbott. But lets back up and go one further.  WHO was Ashley's DNA compared to? Was it compared to Jack's?   If so, and Jack isn't an Abbott, then maybe Ashley is.  Furthermore, with as much as a trollop as Dina was, Maybe Tracey isn't an Abbott.
Billy might be the best shot as a living Abbott DNA comparison tool. 
Does everyone have a headache now?

LucyLou

Re: Abbott DNA........The million dollar question!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 08:35:54 PM »
I REALLY hate when they start going back and forth with DNA bc I have a hard time keeping it all straight. And remembering who is 1/2 siblings, cousins, etc. I still donít know who Cane belongs to. Ha!

SarahTheCat

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 08:36:13 PM »
It's crazy, isn't it?  So many possibilities. I wonder when it will dawn on Abby and Ashley that maybe Traci isn't John's either.  They haven't said anything to her about Jack, have they? I don't think they have.

wanda

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 08:38:19 PM »
Lol! This is what we'v been discussing in a thread on the spoilers page. Only on a soap! It would be funny if Billy was the only blood Abbott.

wanda

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 08:45:04 PM »
Just had a funny thought.  It reminds me of Oprah telling her audience "You get a car and you get a car and you get a car..."  Now some one needs to tell Jack, Ashley, Traci, Kyle and Abby, "You're not an Abbott and You're not an Abbott and you're not an Abbott..." lol
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 10:13:28 PM by wanda »

franniep51

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 09:50:54 PM »
The Abbots need to go on Maury Povich.  Then they can yell and scream it out. 
And send Lily, Cane, Devon, and Hilary to see Dr. Phil!

Ricky

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 10:19:24 PM »

I usually hate paternity stories, but this one is mighty interesting to me, mainly because John Abbott is dead and Dina has dementia. 

For those of us who watched in the early 1980s, Bill Bell did a lot of "teasing" about which one of the three Abbott kids might be the illegitimate one: the three kids were each so different and so well-written, and so complex that it was fascinating to try to determine which one was the bastard child.     Jack and John were always at odds with each other at Jabot --- mainly because Jack tried so hard to win his father's approval --- and you'd start thinking, "JACK is probably the illegitimate one, and it's gonna devastate him when he finds out."   Ashley was so snooty, pretty, and perfect, and John was always calling her My Beauty, and you'd start thinking, "ASHLEY is probably the illegitimate one, and she's gonna have a nervous breakdown when she finds out."  Traci was plump and sorta plain-looking and was always snacking on brownies, and she had low self-esteem about her weight & her appearance and an inferiority complex about not being as attractive as the older two siblings, and John always called her Pumpkin, and you'd start thinking, "TRACI is probably the illegitimate one, and she'll commit suicide when she finds out." 

Dina would whisper to Kay Chancellor, "We know that one of the children isn't John Abbott's child, but it's a secret that we must take to our graves."  The camera would then split-screen to show Jack, Ashley and Traci, leaving us to wonder which of three was being discussed by the old ladies.    The thought always crossed my mind that it could be any or all of the three.   Most likely, all three of them! 

From the minute he found out it was Ashley, Jack has felt a certain air of superiority over her.   He started tormenting her from day one.   "Maybe you should consider resigning as president of Jabot, so I don't have to tell Dad that you're really Brent Davis's daughter!"   I've been waiting for 35 years for Jack to get the news that he's just as illegitimate as Ashley is, lol.    If I were writing the show, I'd have Traci start feeling a bit superior to BOTH of them, and then reveal that she's also illegitimate.    It's the ideal way to place all three of John Abbott's kids with Dina back onto the same level playing field --- all three of them being illegitimate but all three of them loving John Abbott as their father. 

SarahTheCat

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 11:13:49 AM »

I usually hate paternity stories, but this one is mighty interesting to me, mainly because John Abbott is dead and Dina has dementia. 

For those of us who watched in the early 1980s, Bill Bell did a lot of "teasing" about which one of the three Abbott kids might be the illegitimate one: the three kids were each so different and so well-written, and so complex that it was fascinating to try to determine which one was the bastard child.     Jack and John were always at odds with each other at Jabot --- mainly because Jack tried so hard to win his father's approval --- and you'd start thinking, "JACK is probably the illegitimate one, and it's gonna devastate him when he finds out."   Ashley was so snooty, pretty, and perfect, and John was always calling her My Beauty, and you'd start thinking, "ASHLEY is probably the illegitimate one, and she's gonna have a nervous breakdown when she finds out."  Traci was plump and sorta plain-looking and was always snacking on brownies, and she had low self-esteem about her weight & her appearance and an inferiority complex about not being as attractive as the older two siblings, and John always called her Pumpkin, and you'd start thinking, "TRACI is probably the illegitimate one, and she'll commit suicide when she finds out." 

Dina would whisper to Kay Chancellor, "We know that one of the children isn't John Abbott's child, but it's a secret that we must take to our graves."  The camera would then split-screen to show Jack, Ashley and Traci, leaving us to wonder which of three was being discussed by the old ladies.    The thought always crossed my mind that it could be any or all of the three.   Most likely, all three of them! 

From the minute he found out it was Ashley, Jack has felt a certain air of superiority over her.   He started tormenting her from day one.   "Maybe you should consider resigning as president of Jabot, so I don't have to tell Dad that you're really Brent Davis's daughter!"   I've been waiting for 35 years for Jack to get the news that he's just as illegitimate as Ashley is, lol.    If I were writing the show, I'd have Traci start feeling a bit superior to BOTH of them, and then reveal that she's also illegitimate.    It's the ideal way to place all three of John Abbott's kids with Dina back onto the same level playing field --- all three of them being illegitimate but all three of them loving John Abbott as their father.

I was probably watching back then... but I don't remember the details. I always appreciate your memory.

I don't think it's in Traci's personality to feel superior. She's always so gracious about everything.

Peridot

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 03:51:46 PM »
I think it would be hysterical if Billy ended up being the only one of the Abbott siblings actually sired by John Abbott.  It kind of cracks me up that Dina, always very vocal about the shaky morals of Nikki, Jill, Phyllis, etc., is the one who apparently has seen more beds than a mattress salesman!

SANDY B

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 08:22:22 PM »
I think it would be hysterical if Billy ended up being the only one of the Abbott siblings actually sired by John Abbott.  It kind of cracks me up that Dina, always very vocal about the shaky morals of Nikki, Jill, Phyllis, etc., is the one who apparently has seen more beds than a mattress salesman!
It appears to me that Dina was the human mattress.  I didn't really watch much back in the day.  I do remember when Jill was with John though and I was watching then, but not on a regular basis. Does anyone know, when Dina was with John, was it known to all the viewers that she was a tramp that slept with everyone?

Ricky

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 08:49:56 PM »

You know, John's marriage with Dina occurred back before the Abbotts were introduced on the show.   We never saw any of it.   We first met John Abbott and Jack Abbott in 1980 when Jill Foster was hired to work at Jabot.   John was a fairly sour fellow who was still grieving because his wife had abandoned him about ten years earlier.   Jack was a recent college graduate who was pretty "loose" with the women, because he felt that his mother had abandoned him when he was a child.   A couple of years later, Ashley and Traci were added to the cast, and by then we'd been WELL-INFORMED through all the dialogue that Dina had engaged in some "extra-marital activity" (cheated on John) and then had left for Paris.   (The same day Dina left town, the golf pro at the country club had been beaten to a bloody pulp and left for dead.)  Over the years, we got the whole story about how Dina (now the widow of Marcel Mergeron and a lifelong friend of Kay Chancellor) had abandoned the family because of her infidelities, and on her way out of town, she beat Brent Davis half to death with a golf club, because he was about to tell Our Beauty that she was his Precious Little Girl.   

SANDY B

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 10:35:34 PM »
Very interesting!

Ricky

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 10:48:15 PM »

Everything Dina has been telling Abby is completely consistent with the history of Dina Abbott Mergeron, but at the same time it's all new information to us viewers.    Dina confirmed to the audience in 1983 that she'd carried-on a long affair with Brent Davis while married to John Abbott and the result was the conception of Ashley.   Brent Davis confirmed that story, and so did Kay Chancellor.   But Dina never said sepecifically that Brent Davis was her ONLY lover during her marriage to John.     He could've been the only one, or there could've been 100 others.   The question has just been hanging out there for decades, and I've often worried why the show didn't explore it more thoroughly.     Now out of the blue --- thanks to her Alzheimers --- Dina's just spilling the whole story (or fabricating a story in her mind).   I think it's cute the way Ashley keeps saying, "Are you SURE you're not talking about Brent Davis, Mother?" because Ashley would love to think Brent was the only one.   Dina seems determined that there were a dozen others, lol.     

SANDY B

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 11:01:37 PM »
You have an amazing memory for this kind of stuff.  I don't remember most things about the show.  I must say that I loved the show during the time when Jill was dating Keith Dennison.

SarahTheCat

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2018, 11:40:44 PM »
You have an amazing memory for this kind of stuff.  I don't remember most things about the show.  I must say that I loved the show during the time when Jill was dating Keith Dennison.

My memory is really hit and miss. Somethings I remember much better than others. For example, I barely remember Jill dating Keith Dennison... that that was the father of Meg and her sister Tricia,  and the days of Tony Viscardi. I remember the sisters well, and I can picture what their father looks like, but I can't recall any storylines with him.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 11:41:31 PM by SarahTheCat »

Peridot

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 09:32:00 AM »
My memory is spotty concerning Brent Davis.  I don't remember him being beaten to death.  I thought he died of some horrible disease and that he and Ashley finally connected on his deathbed.  I am kind of getting a kick out of Dina's reminiscences.  Hard to tell what was real and what only seems real to Dina in her dementia.  I wouldn't be surprised if she did indeed have a string of affairs, but it's also plausible that she's just an old lady who wants everyone to ooh and aah about how wild she was before she loses it entirely.

DebR

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 10:11:01 AM »
How will we ever find out the truth about Dinaís many affairs?  Is there a historian on Dinaís love life who's Still alive?   ;)

Ricky

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2018, 09:05:27 PM »
My memory is spotty concerning Brent Davis.  I don't remember him being beaten to death.  I thought he died of some horrible disease and that he and Ashley finally connected on his deathbed.

I didn't mean to imply that Brent's death was caused by Dina beating him.    He died of cirrhosis of the liver, or some other disease relating to his long-term alcoholism.   That happened in 1983.   Dina's bloody beat-down of him occurred the day she left John Abbott for Paris when the kids were little.   We didn't see it.   When Dina returned to Genoa City circa 1983, Jack started asking John a lot of questions about Dina's departure twelve years earlier.   John would always stare off into the distance and say, "Terrible day.  Your mother just packed and left with no warning.   I remember it well, as we found out later that afternoon that the golf pro at the club --- can't remember his name --- was beaten and left for dead."   John never noticed a connection between the two events, and the audience didn't either at first.   As the story developed, we found out Brent had been threatening to reveal "THE SECRET" to Ashley, and Dina attempted to kill him by beating him to death, then calmly packed her bags and moved to Europe.    When she returned to Genoa City twelve years later, she was horrified to found out that Brent Davis had returned to town, as well.   She thought she'd killed him.   She promised him that she'd be more successful in killing him this time if he attempted to talk to Ashley again.   He did.  He talked to Ashley.    But Dina didn't have to kill him, because he croaked from his disease.     (That's why, when she killed Graham Bloodworth a few months ago, she marched into Paul's office and announced, "Handcuff me, officer!   I'm turning myself in for the murder of Brent Davis!")

Peridot

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 04:36:21 PM »
Ricky, once again I bow to your superior memory.  That Dina--Wow--Abby doesn't know the half of it!

monkeymome3

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 05:00:35 PM »
I guess Ashley is going to have to tell Jack about the paternity thing to get Kyle out of the seat.  Billy in!  I hope Billy astonishes everyone with his ability to run Jabot.

Capricorn

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2018, 05:24:45 PM »
Billy is the oldest with the most business experience in the Abbott family who is available to run Jabot even if Kyle doesn't know the details of Jack's paternity.  It's not as if this is Royalty and the oldest son of King Jack takes the throne.

Maple Leaf

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 06:59:16 AM »
Iíd love for Billy to go in and set Kyle straight.

deirdra

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 10:37:46 AM »
Iíd love for Billy to go in and set Kyle straight.
I'd like Billy to just take over Jack's chair while Kyle is out of the office, rehire Gloria and get to work while setting Kyle straight.

SAlby

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2018, 06:18:26 PM »
Strictly on a DNA standpoint, I would guess the only way to prove Abbot DNA is to test both Traci and Billy to see if they have the same father.  Given the fact that it's almost impossible that both Dina and Jill could cheat on John with the same guy 20 yrs apart, that would be the only way to find Abbot DNA since John is dead.  Sure Traci might not be John either, but if she and Billy have the same father, it would be safe to say it was John.  For those who have been watching for much longer then me, was there ever any mention of siblings for John (Abbott Aunts and Uncles) they could compare to?

SarahTheCat

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2018, 07:17:16 PM »
I guess Ashley is going to have to tell Jack about the paternity thing to get Kyle out of the seat.  Billy in!  I hope Billy astonishes everyone with his ability to run Jabot.

If that's what it's going to take to get Kyle out of the seat, I guess that's what will happen. But not without Ashley struggling over what to do for a few episodes.