Poll

Is Y&R the Greatest Soap Opera of All Time?

Yes
9 (47.4%)
No
5 (26.3%)
Not sure
2 (10.5%)
Other - Explain in the reply box
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Is Y&R the Greatest Soap Opera of All Time?  (Read 959 times)

Capricorn

Is Y&R the Greatest Soap Opera of All Time?
« on: March 20, 2018, 08:12:25 PM »
I voted yes.

When all Soaps were half and hour I was a stay at home mom - I used to try watching all of them and I liked Y&R best then and now. 

Maybe it's because I watched Y&R from day one.   

The others I had to jump in and figure what was happening.   

From the very start of my Soap watching I didn't like GH and I've tried several times and can't seem to find anything to like about it.

When the shows all started to be an hour per episode I chose two: Y&R and Days.  I tried B&B from 1st. episode too, watched for a few months and gave up.

LucyLou

Re: Is Y&R the Greatest Soap Opera of All Time?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 09:19:31 PM »
Ive always watched Y&R and B&B. I enjoy them for different reasons. There are times Bold gets waaaaay too monotonous but the more carefree, light episodes can good for my mood. When it comes down to it, Y&R would be my favorite but there are some excellent characters on Bold. Itís a close second.

Soaprah

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 09:49:19 PM »
I'm showing my age but I can't help remembering how much I loved Search for Tomorrow in the 1950s. I know it was in black and white, and only fifteen minutes long but we would run home from school, bolt down our grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup, and settle in for the "stories" (Search for Tomorrow and Guiding Light). I'm sure part of the fascination was sitting with my sibs and my mom, speculating on what was going to happen next to Marge and Stu.

katiesbeach

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 01:45:22 PM »
I've always liked all the CBS soaps.  I think at various times, GL, ATWT and AW were all better than Y&R, but what do I know, since they were all cancelled!

Winza

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 08:20:22 PM »
I've always liked all the CBS soaps.  I think at various times, GL, ATWT and AW were all better than Y&R, but what do I know, since they were all cancelled!

I loved AW and ATWT too and think they were better than Y&R. And honestly i think Y&R is improving, but GH is still better most days.

Maple Leaf

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 04:18:09 AM »
I had 4 Go To Soaps. Another World, Young and the Restless Santa Barbara and Days of our Lives. I was sad when AW and SB ended and I gave up on DOOL when Marlena was possessed by the devil, so Y&R is the best soap out there for me now.

Capricorn

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 11:00:33 AM »
There are two other soaps that I really liked but they were cancelled.   I guess I liked them because I watched them from the first episode and knew everything there was to know about each character... the same as I do Y&R.

Ryan's Hope was on from 1975 - 1989

How to Survive a Marriage on for only 1 year 1974 - 1975

I think I liked these two because they were not focused on rich people as the main characters.

Maple Leaf

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 06:40:59 PM »
My dad was a TV repairman and he knew all the soap characters as they were on all day while he worked on the TVís. His favourites were Love of Life and The Edge of Night 😊

bren

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 07:06:18 PM »
Have been an on-and-off "soaper" since my young days when we had great RADIO soaps (15 minutes), some of which made the transition to TV.  Loved "Young Dr. Malone," in the day (radio and TV); "Ma Perkins," "Our Gal Sunday,"  "Helen Trent" are some that come to mind.  Also was a big fan of Guiding Light (again, from radio days to TV) until it was canceled.  But Y&R has been on my horizon since 1978, and in 40 years I've probably not missed more than about 3 weeks (total) of shows. (And these message boards have kept me up to date when I had to miss, esp. back in the days before VCRs.) 

Thanks to Cap for managing Soap Opera Community!  The comments on the board are a kick, and some of you guys are better writers than the writers!

Ricky

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 04:18:17 AM »

Back in the day, there were different "genres" of daytime soaps, and I think each genre had its own unique appeal.

I saw some re-runs of Dark Shadows on syndicated TV when I was about 12 years old.   That show was a completely different genre from most soaps --- it was a Gothic horror story, with vampires, witches, werewolves, and haunted houses.  There's really no way to compare it with a traditional soap like Y&R, but Dark Shadows was extremely appealing to me as a teenager.    For a kid, it was a good introduction to science fiction, seances, and the eerie gloom of a doomed New England village.    It taught me to appreciate writers like Edgar Allan Poe and Nathaniel Hawthorne, it introduced me to the morbid poetry of Christina Rosetti, and I'm still fascinated by the concept of "parallel time".    I don't necessarily think Dark Shadows was "better" than Y&R --- just completely different --- and was right up the alley of teenagers.   

There are also lots of episodes of The Edge of Night available on You Tube.   That show is absolutely nothing like Y&R.   While it does feature marriages, divorces, adultery, etc., the "personal lives" of the characters are primarily presented within the framework of a serialized crime drama.   Every few months, there's a grisly murder of a main character (usually very creepy and mysterious, with the appearance of the supernatural).   It takes weeks or months for the perpetrator to be revealed, and it's generally always someone you didn't suspect, and the motive of the murder was something you didn't expect.    Once everything has been explained, there's no evidence of supernatural intervention -- it's just a typical first-degree murder for a bizarre reason.   Everyone breathes a sigh of relief, and then a few weeks later, someone else dies and a new mystery begins.    It's suspenseful and appealing, but nothing like the typical daytime soap.

Of the more "traditional soaps", I've always thought Y&R was head & shoulders above the rest of the pack, and it's the only one I've invested much time in watching over the years.   I've flipped past most of the other soaps on the TV dial at one time or another (especially in college), and they just don't visually compare with the lushness and beauty of Y&R.     

Peridot

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 07:22:39 PM »
I voted Yes, because I've never been much of a soap person in general, and yet Y&R has kept me watching since the beginning.  The only other soap I ever watched from beginning to end was Dark Shadows when I was in high school.  When I was younger I caught occasional episodes of other soaps like All My Children or Bold & the Beautiful, but none ever motivated me to tune in on a regular basis.

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 07:46:52 PM »
My mother watched Search for Tomorrow, Love of Life, The Guiding Light and As the World Turns, back in the 50's when some were only 15 minutes long. Then in the 60's, she went to work and couldn't watch them. Her older sister (my aunt) was retired and watched a bunch of soaps. I would be at her house and watch them with her (All My Children, As the World Turns, The Guiding Light and Young and the Restless.).

I had my son in March of 1973 when The Young and the Restless came on so I saw it from the beginning. But because of working over the years and no way to record, I missed Y&R. Then I was off on Fridays and would watch that day. When VCRs came out, I was able to record them. Now I'm retired but have watched Y&R off and on for all the years it's been on. But there are things I don't remember so I guess it was times I was working and couldn't watch.

So, I'll say YES, Y&R is the best of what is left.

katiesbeach

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 09:25:33 PM »
It's funny what makes you stop and watch.  I'll never forget one day in the early 90s when I was home sick and bored, and flipping through the channels, I stopped dead in my tracks with Anne Heche's portrayal of Vicky on Another World.  I couldn't stop watching her, and it blew my mind when I found out she was playing twins.   I started watching faithfully from that day until it ended.  I was devastated when Anne Heche was leaving, and didn't think that anyone could portray Vicky/Marley - but then Jensen Buchanan was cast, and I liked her even better.  I also remember that a small little girl named Cali was playing Paulina, and all of the sudden she was replaced with Judi Evans, which was such a visual difference.  But then she quickly won me over too.  Loved AW!  Vicky & Ryan rocked!

nooner

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 11:25:28 AM »
Had to go with the "not sure" option because Y&R is the only soap I've ever watched.

Goldilocks

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 01:18:18 PM »
It's my second favorite. My absolute favorite was As The World Turns.

franniep51

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 11:37:03 PM »
I have only watched 3 soaps as an adult. I do remember Another World because my mom watched it and people kept telling me that I looked like one of the characters.  That soap doesnít count because I donít remember it much and it wasnít my choice.  My favorite of all time was Bold and Beautiful because I started watching from the very first episode. That was when my newborns took a nap and I could eat lunch and unwind while watching.  It is campy but fun to watch. I did take a few years off.   YR is my second choice because I have watched it for the last 20 years.  Third choice would have to be ATWT.  Good Old Oakdale, I liked to watch Tom and Margo Hughes.  My watching any soap was limited to the summers until I got a VCR.  DVRís are now so convenient.

monkeymome3

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 02:18:27 PM »
used to watch the whole line up, all my children, general hospital, whatever else was on then....can't recall!  I've always thought general hospital was my favorite.  I only still watch young and the restless.

SudzBearCat

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 06:55:16 AM »
AMC and OLTL were my faves. Y&R is now my fave.

Maple Leaf

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 08:45:03 PM »
Right now, it is for me. 

Another World was my all time favourite.