Author Topic: Oscar Red Carpet Fashion 2018  (Read 240 times)

Capricorn

Oscar Red Carpet Fashion 2018
« on: March 04, 2018, 08:20:05 PM »
https://www.vogue.com/slideshow/oscars-red-carpet-celebrity-fashion

I don't know who most of these people are, I haven't been to the movies in decades.

I'll just comment on the actors I recognize:

Lupita Nyong'o looks fabulous as usual

Jennifer Lawrence fabulous

Sandra Bullock's dress looks fabulous too but why is her hair and makeup like Morticia Adams?

Jennifer Garner looks great except for the train... I don't understand a train on any dress that's not on a bride.

Allison Janney is looking good

Helen Mirren is fabulous, I wish I was tall, slim and shapely like Helen.

Whoopi Goldberg - It was just weird to see Whoopi in a fro, fro dress.  Really weird!

Viola Davis looks good, the pink is too bright(makes it look cheap and I'm willing to bet it wasn't cheap) and she was another overflowing lady.

Meryl Streep looks uh just ok.

Ashley Judd's dress not impressive but not terrible.  She's had a lot of work done on her face.

Jane Fonda fabulous at her age but tonight she reminds me of the Jetsons.

Rita Moreno looks ridiculous.

Laura Dern's dress is simple and sweet.

Mary J. Blige looks good but overflowing boobs spoils her look. (for me anyway)

Salma Hayek dress looks like a Halloween costume.

Nicole Kidman - is she a butterfly?  It was nice to see her in a jewel toned dress though.  She usually wears colors that makes her look washed out.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:39:00 PM by Capricorn »

SarahTheCat

Re: Oscar Red Carpet Fashion 2018
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 08:46:02 PM »
Oh goody, another fashion topic! I love these!  I don't watch the Oscars, and I only went to one movie all year.

Emily Blunt's dress is terrible.  The skirt part is pretty but that blue with that white lace, I don't know it just looks like 1950s with a bit of Wedgewood.

Meryl Streep: well the dress is not ugly, but it's not a good colour on her, and the style isn't really looking great on her. That tiny belt isn't helping. Big miss.

Haley Bennet: no idea who she is, but it looks like she's got a bale of hay or some long grass clippings tied around her waist.

Molly Sims looks pretty, but I hate low necklines like that.

Nicole Kidman: Um, I don't know what to say. She looks straight up and down, and that hair doesn't help... tied up with a bow like a present. Or maybe she's like a tall thin vase. It's weird, but strangely, I don't hate it. I just don't know. It is a great colour though.

Sandra Bullock's super straight hair: YUK

Emma Stone looks adorable, absolutely adorable. The pants aren't a great fit though.

I don't have a clue who Allison Williams is, but that Armani dress is beautiful. I can't say I like the colour though, and I can't really make out the details as well as I'd like.

Helen Mirren: understated beauty.

Laura Dern: sleek, fits perfectly. She looks elegant.

Whoopi: nope. Not as weird as she sometimes wears though.

No Idea who Zoey Deutch is, but the dress is rather pretty.

Jane Fonda: rather nice but the pointy bits remind me of the 80s.

Billie

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 08:59:49 PM »
Rather than go through them all, I'll just say that my favorite is Margot Robbie followed by Helen Mirren. I prefer clean lines without a lot of fru fru.  Christine Lahti also looked good.  The strangest, and possibly ugliest was Whoopi Goldberg's outfit.  Yikes!
PS: Jennifer Lawrence also a win.

Capricorn

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 09:38:30 PM »
Yikes! Allison Janney's sleeves go to the floor, I just realized it when she accepted her award. I'm crossing her dress off my List.

deirdra

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 09:54:31 PM »
Yikes! Allison Janney's sleeves go to the floor, I just realized it when she accepted her award. I'm crossing her dress off my List.
Ha ha.  I agree with your corrected list.  Maybe Janney's dress was designed by Lauralee Bell, who loves extra-long sleeves.

I'm glad they posted names next to some of the presenters because I didn't recognize Mira Sorvino' generic bottle blonde's hair and face.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 01:58:07 PM by deirdra »

Maple Leaf

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 10:10:55 AM »
My favourite, by far, was Helen Mirren.  Second, for me, was Sandra Bullock.

Whoppie.  Dear Lord... wth?

Peridot

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 04:21:09 PM »
I agree, Lupita Nyong'o looked fabulous; she always does.  I paid little attention to the outfits as a whole, possibly a clue that Oscar gowns are becoming less outrageous than they've been in the past.  A couple I did notice:

Ashley Judd:  Loved the purple, and I recalled that Ashley wore another purple gown years ago.  I love the color but not a whole lot of women seem to wear it.

Nicole Kidman:  I kept wondering who talked her into wearing that giant bow and how she managed to maneuver her arms around the thing.  I liked the royal blue color, though.

The stage set was something else, wasn't it?  It looked like the actors were inside a giant geode.

Soaprah

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 06:47:22 PM »

The stage set was something else, wasn't it?  It looked like the actors were inside a giant geode.

As I was watching last night, I thought, "The set looks like a giant geode"-- those words exactly! And I didn't like it. I thought it was distracting and ugly. At times, the speakers looked like they were about to be ripped apart by "Jaws".