Author Topic: Jan. 23  (Read 352 times)

DebR

Jan. 23
« on: January 23, 2018, 11:36:49 PM »
Really good episode.  I like how they tie the stories together.  So sad though, just like real life can be when things are going well then the unexpected happens  :( .

Donít forget to adjust the time since the next episode is on after the Super Bowl.  Iíll be watching the game since the Patriots are in it!

wanda

Re: Jan. 23
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 11:58:06 PM »
I agree. It was a good episode.

Why in the world will it be on after the Super Bowl? Isn't that on on a Sunday night? I never watch football. I just don't understand why they would move it from it's regular Tuesday night. I hope I remember to watch.

DebR

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 12:13:58 AM »
The program following the Super Bowl, especially in the U.S., is the most watched television show of the year.  Every show hopes to covet that hour.  The hope is when they watch the program they will want to binge watch the series.

I donít get it either because itís on at a different night and time.

SarahTheCat

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 09:41:36 PM »
That was a good episode.  Well, I guess we were all wrong way back when when we were trying to guess how Jack died, and even when we had more info that there was a fire, I was pretty sure Jack's drinking was going to play a part.

What I don't get is why Kate, way back in season 1 I think it was, said she felt responsible for Jack dying. Remember that night he drove drunk to go pick her up and I thought FOR SURE that's when it would happen because that would make it her fault, in her eyes.

But how can she feel it was her fault?

And I guess her dog dies? Why else would she have such a hard time about getting a dog and remembering her dog. 

I guess Kate's college dream of studying music is going up in flames with that fire. No way is she going to go to college at this time.

I like that Randall and Kevin are finding something that gives them purpose, and they're doing it together.

It's sad that Jack dies just as he and Rebecca have decided to pursue his Big 3 construction dream business.

DebR

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 11:35:54 PM »
SarahTheCat- the stray dog, Louie, was with Kate after the fire at Miguelís house.  I had thought maybe Jack died after going back into the house to save Louie from the fire.  But, the dog was with Kate after the fire sitting on her lap and I think at the cabin or some other time. Maybe Jack didnít know Kate had the dog or he actually went in the fire to rescue her.

The next 2 episodes are going to be really sad.  For me itíll be hard watching Jack die even though I already knew. Wonder if the reveal will hurt the show since so many have waited to see what happened to Jack.  I would have been fine not knowing or not watching him die for a long time.

SarahTheCat

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 11:58:03 PM »
SarahTheCat- the stray dog, Louie, was with Kate after the fire at Miguelís house.  I had thought maybe Jack died after going back into the house to save Louie from the fire.  But, the dog was with Kate after the fire sitting on her lap and I think at the cabin or some other time. Maybe Jack didnít know Kate had the dog or he actually went in the fire to rescue her.

The next 2 episodes are going to be really sad.  For me itíll be hard watching Jack die even though I already knew. Wonder if the reveal will hurt the show since so many have waited to see what happened to Jack.  I would have been fine not knowing or not watching him die for a long time.

Thanks for that extra info, DebR. I think it must be the case that Jack goes in to save the dog. Maybe he somehow saves the dog but he doesn't make it. Or that the dog got out on his own and Jack didn't realize it.

SarahTheCat

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 12:00:32 AM »
Also, I loved the stuff about Randall talking to people in William's building, trying to find out who the Lady was. Everyone said such nice things about William.

SarahTheCat

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 12:53:13 AM »
I agree. It was a good episode.

Why in the world will it be on after the Super Bowl? Isn't that on on a Sunday night? I never watch football. I just don't understand why they would move it from it's regular Tuesday night. I hope I remember to watch.

They moved it because it was going to be pre-empted by Trump's state of the union address.

supagal21

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 04:02:50 PM »
The episode was great. I think may be Jack went back to look for Kevin. He was not home and I don't think he was aware he spent the night at Sophie. Kevin called and told REbecca and said he would talk to his dad in the morning. I don't remember the scene with Rebecca telling Jack. So I think he assumed he came back and was in the room.

deirdra

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 08:32:24 PM »
I liked the episode, but did not like how it revealed that so much of our time in Season 1 was spent watching gimmicky flashbacky bits designed to make us think each of the kids & Rebecca had very good reasons to think they drove Jack to drink and die behind the wheel, when in fact Jack, Rebecca, Randall & Kate were all in good places and Kevin was just his usual jerky self.  We didn't see Rebecca tell Jack that Kevin called to apologize, but it would have been reasonable for her to tell him when he came up to bed. Yes it is sad that a faulty appliance killed their father when they were on the verge of adulthood, but it is not clear why everyone in the family is so screwed up.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 08:38:00 PM by deirdra »

Money Honey

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 10:55:14 PM »
The story that came out on Yahoo was about a 'crock pot that burned the
house down 20 years ago, and it now, supposedly killed Jack'.  Straight out
of the mouth of someone at the network.  I didn't read any further, after it
said that people are mad about them putting it on a crock pot. 

It seems, a lot of people leaves these pots on for 8 hours at a time while at
work, only to get home to a cooked meal.  The show is taking heat for this
excuse for Jack being killed off this way.

deirdra

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 05:38:00 PM »
On the Jan 23rd show, we saw a neighbour give them the crockpot with a faulty switch & it was used to make Superbowl chili.  Jack actually turned the switch to "off", but it switched itself on again, sparked and caught a towel & drapes on fire.  So the moral of the episode is don't accept used appliances from neighbours or unplug them before bed.  You'd think a contractor would have installed several smoke detectors to keep his family safe - it was 1998 when this episode supposedly happened, not the 60s.

My 41-yr-old CrockPot still works perfectly, like the 100+ million of others sold.  Apparently the CrockPot company wants This Is Us to say something to correct the misconception that slow cookers are dangerous.  More people are killed by their toasters.  But killing Jack this way was a very lame choice.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 03:06:39 PM by deirdra »

Maple Leaf

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 03:47:52 PM »
I got a crock pot at a wedding gift 40 years ago.  I still use it and it works great!

I know everyone is oohing and aahing on how Jack died, but I feel personally it has drug on too long and I kind of lost interest.

wanda

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 05:53:34 PM »
It never mattered to me how Jack died. I never quite understood all of the "how did Jack die" viewer frenzy.

I'm also still using our original Crockpot that we got almost 36 years ago for our wedfing.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 10:12:07 PM by wanda »

Billie

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 08:18:12 PM »

DebR, this is my feeling also.  It has to be dog related because 1. Kate blames herself and it's her dog, and 2. She has difficulty to this day, 20 years later, getting another dog.

franniep51

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 08:39:53 PM »
To answer the smoke detector question. In the previous episode there was a smoke detector with the battery missing. I had to ask my daughter what I saw. We even rewound to make sure.

SarahTheCat

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 09:15:08 PM »
To answer the smoke detector question. In the previous episode there was a smoke detector with the battery missing. I had to ask my daughter what I saw. We even rewound to make sure.

Yup, they were supposed to get batteries at the mall, but we didn't know why. And when they showed the smoke detector, we knew why.