Author Topic: Nov 21 episode  (Read 1360 times)

deirdra

Nov 21 episode
« on: November 22, 2017, 03:06:42 PM »
Kate was lying when she said "I'm kidding" to make her mother feel better after saying maybe she paid too much attention to Randall. Kate's main issue seems to be feeling Randall always got more love & attention than she did.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 08:26:13 PM by deirdra »

Capricorn

Re: Nov 21 episode
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 03:34:30 PM »
That wouldn't be right though.   Rebecca gave practically all of her attention to Randall and Jack gave Kate most of his attention to Kate.   I believe that it's Kevin who got very little attention from both parents and it's something that Kevin keeps inside.  He's a very lonely man even though he has 2 siblings, a mother and a girlfriend/ex-wife.

lawgirl

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 04:42:30 PM »
That wouldn't be right though.   Rebecca gave practically all of her attention to Randall and Jack gave Kate most of his attention to Kate.   I believe that it's Kevin who got very little attention from both parents and it's something that Kevin keeps inside.  He's a very lonely man even though he has 2 siblings, a mother and a girlfriend/ex-wife.

I agree with you.  Because Kevin was very capable, his parents assumed that he didn't need as much attention as the other two did.  So, he had to do everything all by himself and never learned to ask for help -- which is why he self medicates. He is very, very lonely -- and none of the others would even understand why.

katiesbeach

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 09:03:40 PM »
I think that is why Kevin became an actor....because he is so needy for attention.  It's really weird seeing how parent's treatment of one child affects the others.  I have four siblings.  My older sister was the first, and she got so much attention...then me, another brother, and then the baby brother who was/is spoiled rotten.  Me and the other middle child were kind of neglected.  I'm 57 and it still stings.

Goldilocks

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 09:27:56 PM »
This episode was the only one which didn't grab me. The only parts I enjoyed were the flashbacks with the babies.

Money Honey

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 10:33:07 AM »
Katiesbeach, I know the feeling.  I was in the middle too.

SarahTheCat

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 03:00:21 PM »
I was the youngest of 3.  My beef is that I got hand-me-down everything, very little parental interest in signing me up for any activities that would require them driving me somewhere - my sister and brother got ski lessons, skating lessons, swimming lessons... I got none of this. I went to Brownies and Girl Guides because it was walkable.  My sister got away with not doing chores because she always had "homework".

DebR

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 11:49:45 PM »
Rebecca seems to go out of her way to let Kate know she loves her unconditionally.  I donít get Kateís resentment of her mother.  Kate seems to always have been jealous of Rebecca and says cruel things to her even as an adult. It bugs me even though I like Kate.

katiesbeach

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 09:45:16 AM »
I think Kate resents her mom for being so pretty and skinny (she's said so before), and she may even blame her mom for her turning to food for comfort because Mom seemed so focused on Randall. And she may have become an emotional eater after Jack died, because she lost the one person who paid her a lot of attention.  I would hate it if she blames her mom for being so enormous though.

Capricorn

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 10:32:52 AM »
Maybe I'm wrong but I blame parents for sitting back and allowing their children to become obese.   If parents see a child gaining weight over the years, don't bring junk food into the house.  Make healthy meals, teach the child to eat properly.   I do believe that Rebecca is partly to blame for Kate's weight.

I believe you are right about Kate being jealous of Rebecca for being thin and her father's death taking away the parent that gave her the most attention.

SarahTheCat

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 12:42:31 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong but I blame parents for sitting back and allowing their children to become obese.   If parents see a child gaining weight over the years, don't bring junk food into the house.  Make healthy meals, teach the child to eat properly.   I do believe that Rebecca is partly to blame for Kate's weight.

I believe you are right about Kate being jealous of Rebecca for being thin and her father's death taking away the parent that gave her the most attention.

What if it's all healthy food, but the child just eats too much of it so that it adds up to a lot of calories.  My brother and I were skinny skinny skinny to the point where we were teased for it. But my sister was overweight. I don't remember there being much junk food in the house - except sugary breakfast cereals and Pop Tarts. Come to think of it, no matter how we labeled our pop tarts, my sister always ate my brother's and mine. We never had dessert (except jello or applesauce), and we only had cupcakes on special holidays (St Patricks day, Valentines day) and cake when it was someone's birthday (so that was 5 times a year). I have no idea why my sister put on weight.

Capricorn

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 01:16:33 PM »
Well if it's all healthy food, portions are important.  Your sister most likely ate a lot more than you realized.   Unless your sister has a thyroid problem or some other health problem that caused her to gain weight, she was most likely eating more than she should.    I was a chubby child, lost a lot weight during teen years, (I'm guessing because I was more active) gained a lot in adult years between 40 - 55 and at the height of my heft weighed 250, but now a medium sized old lady weighing up and down between 145-155 even though I have hypothyroidism. I also had high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes... I learned how to eat properly lost a lot of weight over several years and no longer show signs of hypertension or diabetes 2.

SarahTheCat

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 01:23:02 PM »
Well if it's all healthy food, portions are important.  Your sister most likely ate a lot more than you realized.   Unless your sister has a thyroid problem or some other health problem that caused her to gain weight, she was most likely eating more than she should.    I was a chubby child, lost a lot weight during teen years, (I'm guessing because I was more active) gained a lot in adult years between 40 - 55 and at the height of my heft weighed 250, but now a medium sized old lady weighing up and down between 145-155 even though I have hypothyroidism. I also had high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes... I learned how to eat properly lost a lot of weight over several years and no longer show signs of hypertension or diabetes 2.

Wow way to go on getting rid of the hypertension and diabetes!

Yes my sister probably was eating too much. I am 6 years younger and was fairly oblivious to a lot of stuff going on with her.

SarahTheCat

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 01:24:02 PM »
.... and we could NEVER have a second helping of dinner, because my mom was always saving it to be leftovers for another meal. LOL

lawgirl

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 03:36:40 PM »
I think Kate resents her mom for being so pretty and skinny (she's said so before), and she may even blame her mom for her turning to food for comfort because Mom seemed so focused on Randall. And she may have become an emotional eater after Jack died, because she lost the one person who paid her a lot of attention.  I would hate it if she blames her mom for being so enormous though.

In the episode just aired, I don't think it was about weight -- it had more to do with Kate's singing and her wanting it to be hers (the way Kevin's athletic ability was his identity and Randall's intelligence was his identity) -- and not want Rebecca to make it a shared thing (Rebecca has been shown to be a professional singer).  I saw Rebecca without meaning to trying to make the singing "hers" or at least shared.  Applying to Berklee was something she wanted to do on her own -- Rebecca was taking that away from her, and in Kate's mind, making it all about her.

SarahTheCat

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2017, 04:09:23 PM »

In the episode just aired, I don't think it was about weight -- it had more to do with Kate's singing and her wanting it to be hers (the way Kevin's athletic ability was his identity and Randall's intelligence was his identity) -- and not want Rebecca to make it a shared thing (Rebecca has been shown to be a professional singer).  I saw Rebecca without meaning to trying to make the singing "hers" or at least shared.  Applying to Berklee was something she wanted to do on her own -- Rebecca was taking that away from her, and in Kate's mind, making it all about her.

I haven't seen the episode yet, but your comment reminded me of the time my daughter started making jewelry, then I started too, and she got mad at me for "stealing her hobby".

katiesbeach

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2017, 04:28:32 PM »
It's funny the things that kids are sensitive to.

franniep51

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2017, 06:35:28 PM »
I have said since the show started that the reason why Kevin was so needy for attention was that he was seen as the stronger and the extra attention was put on the other two.  I have seen this in my own family and in the many families of children I taught.  Children cannot see this is the reason for problems and no one is perfect.

I like the show, but have to say that I find Rebecca (the character, not the actress) sometimes unlikeable.  She complains and fusses a lot. She treats Jack poorly.   And, I find Kate to have the same faults. She is mean to Toby, too.  (Jack and Toby are not perfect, either.)  I think some of the reasons Kate doesn't get along with her mother is because they are so much alike. As for the weight issue, I think the show should deal with possible physical issues for her excess weight. A child becoming a little overweight can be dealt with by diet and modeling good behavior, but excessive weight like Kate's needs more than diet.  It is a medical condition.  I do not say this to be mean or cut the person down.

Looking forward to the next episode.

Billie

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2017, 08:34:58 PM »
I'm late to the party. I just saw the show.  I agree with all of you re: Kevin's loneliness and not getting as much attention as the other two.  Also agree with  the comments about Kate's conflicted feelings regarding her Mom.
Other random thoughts...this was the first time that Tobey (er, Tobe, used ad nauseum this episode) didn't repulse me.  Other than his obnoxious, "I am a big and powerful man" comments.
The casting between the adolescent and older Kate was remarkably spot on.
Just noticed (superficial) that Mandy Moore has a slight lisp with her 's' sound.  Kind of distracting because once I heard it I was concentrating on hearing it again to see if it was a fluke (and no it was not but very subtle).  I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed it.
Not my favorite show because it was so heavily concentrated on Kate and Rebecca.  A show without Randall is not as good IMO.
Lastly, Kate's acting scenes when she was crying in Rebecca's arms was her strongest acting yet IMO.

SarahTheCat

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 09:16:40 PM »
I just watched. I thought it was a great episode. It helped explain the distance and awkwardness between Kate and Rebecca, but ended with a breakthrough moment. And Toby was a good guy - he was so supportive of Kate. He really loves her. 

Yeah, the big and powerful man stuff was annoying... like why couldn't he just explain up front what the situation was. But it was a touching moment when the warehouse guy realized what was going on and Toby acknowledged it.

And I was really glad there wasn't anything about Jack and his drinking problems, or marriage dysfunction between Rebecca and Jack, because I'm getting pretty tired of that stuff.

katiesbeach

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2017, 09:31:14 PM »
I just watched. I thought it was a great episode. It helped explain the distance and awkwardness between Kate and Rebecca, but ended with a breakthrough moment. And Toby was a good guy - he was so supportive of Kate. He really loves her. 

Yeah, the big and powerful man stuff was annoying... like why couldn't he just explain up front what the situation was. But it was a touching moment when the warehouse guy realized what was going on and Toby acknowledged it.

And I was really glad there wasn't anything about Jack and his drinking problems, or marriage dysfunction between Rebecca and Jack, because I'm getting pretty tired of that stuff.
Yes, I too was shaking my head when Toby was basically threatening the poor guy with the 'i'm a very large man...blah, blah' when he could have just said 'my fiance just lost our baby, and I really don't want this crib delivered to her today'

SarahTheCat

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 10:42:46 PM »

Yes, I too was shaking my head when Toby was basically threatening the poor guy with the 'i'm a very large man...blah, blah' when he could have just said 'my fiance just lost our baby, and I really don't want this crib delivered to her today'

I guess Toby just wasn't ready to say the words outloud, to acknowledge it to someone.

SarahTheCat

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 04:40:33 PM »
Thought about it some more today. I can totally relate to how Rebecca feels when Kate won't tell her anything. And that whole awkward sit down chat about It's ok if you don't know what your passion is - when Kate DOES have a passion, she just doesn't talk to her mom. Mom resorts to snooping. Yes, I know how this feels.