Author Topic: This Is Us October 24th episode  (Read 638 times)

deirdra

This Is Us October 24th episode
« on: October 25, 2017, 11:49:36 AM »
More Jack with his dirty hair and wild animal grunting.  And a new mystery - Jack and his brother as children riding in cars and in the Army shown in cryptic flashbacks with no context ... yawn.  Glasses on the brother are used to distinguish them, as obesity and black skin are used to distinguish the other "triplets" from Kevin in all the flashbacks; I've never been a fan of gimmicks.  Drug/booze-addled Kevin, grumpy Kate & annoying Toby are FF material.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 11:54:56 AM by deirdra »

Capricorn

Re: This Is Us October 24th episode
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 12:36:27 PM »
After seeing that yet a new set of flashback regarding Jack's childhood, they have lost me.   I'm done with the show.   I just can't watch 75% of each episode as flashbacks.  I'll check in every week to see if the death of Jack has been revealed.  Done, done and done!

deirdra

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 02:40:22 PM »
After seeing that yet a new set of flashback regarding Jack's childhood, they have lost me.   I'm done with the show.  I just can't watch 75% of each episode as flashbacks.  I'll check in every week to see if the death of Jack has been revealed.  Done, done and done!
I'm feeling the same way.  Showing ~10-yr old Kevin & Randall in a car and then another boy in a car at first I thought it was supposed to be a slightly younger Kevin, but then "your brother" was white with glasses, so not Randall, leaving us to figure out that it was young Jack and a brother we didn't know (or care) about.  At least they've made it easy for me to FF and only stop to watch the few people I care about - Randall & his family & father.

supagal21

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 04:35:21 PM »
It was another flashback on another flashback, with young Jack. I didn't like it. My worst scene was the one with Tobby at the restaurant revealing Kate's pregnancy. Nothing cute about it. and very gross.

Goldilocks

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 06:15:08 PM »
I agree about the scene with Toby in the restaurant and I also didn't like the one with Kate at the support group. I thought she was very intolerant towards the girl who was obviously hurting. I guess Kate thought that a slim woman wouldn't have self-esteem issues. Wrong.

deirdra

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 09:21:27 PM »
The other awful scene was Toby sweeping everything off his desk at work assuming they were going to have sex.  Not cute or funny.  Kate didn't want to tell anyone because she is older, morbidly obese and only two months along, so there are greater odds of losing the baby, but Mr. Dumbface ExcuseMe decides to tell a bunch of strangers in a restaurant.  Yuck!

Winza

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 10:40:21 PM »
Beginning to really dislike this show.  It seems to all be about St. Jack, whom we know we're going to lose; Rebecca, who is either a perfect wifey to Jack or a shrew to him or the kids; insecure Kate in a relationship with a creepy guy who is obsessed with sex and is just generally annoying; insecure Kevin who isn't even fully refined as a character and now is hooked on drugs; and Randall's family, with a stable relationship, two adorable little girls, and the kindness and patience to take in a troubled girl as a foster.  The only reason to keep watching is the Randalls; maybe they can spin them off as their own show when they decide to cancel this one.

DebR

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 11:48:26 PM »
Having watched Lost which had flashbacks, flash forwards and even a sideways “world” flashbacks add to the show for me to help explain the relationships in the past to present day.  I looked up flashback shows and there have been many of them.

What I don’t like is the whining of 37 year olds who complain about their sorry lives.  They were blessed with 2 loving parents yet they are a mess. 

The so called bigger story is the effect Jack’s death had on their lives. They are adults who need to stop blaming and start living their OWN lives. 

deirdra

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 02:17:31 PM »
What I don’t like is the whining of 37 year olds who complain about their sorry lives.  ... They are adults who need to stop blaming and start living their OWN lives.
+1   
The flashbacks show that they were whiney kids overindulged by the parents they blame today.
My parents ignored us when we whined.

SarahTheCat

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 11:14:18 PM »
I must be in a good mood lately, because I liked the episode.  I hate the flashbacks - especially of when Rebecca (not this episode) or Jack were kids. But this one made sense by the end of it. Now we see why it was so important to Jack for his 2 boys to get along.

I didn't even mind Toby this episode. In fact, I liked him, and I thought his flashdance water thing was funny.

I'm not liking watching Kevin become an addict though. It was terrible how he humiliated his girlfriend at the charity auction.

Just a side note, in the photo of the family towards the end, and Rebecca has her hair up - I thought it looked great that way.

Billie

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 08:24:23 PM »
They haven't lost me yet and I am in the minority because I don't mind the flashbacks.  Re: this show, the 3 things I really didn't care for were Kevin's growing addiction and Toby's behavior.  I thought the diner/restaurant scene was revolting as well as his apparent desire to have desk sex.  Is this all he thinks about?!? 

On a side note, the pet peeve which is increasingly getting on my nerves has to do with the the promotion of this series.  Literally everyone who is on a talk show to promote this show talks about how it "makes you laugh and cry". Wrong.  I have never, not once laughed.  And in all of the shows up to date, I have shed literally one tear which was when Randall's father died.  And I'm a HUGE crier.  I don't find this to be emotional in the slightest so it bugs me that they continually choose to portray it this way.  Rant over.

wanda

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 10:31:45 PM »
Billie,  I totally agree with everything you said.

SarahTheCat

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 07:59:52 AM »
They haven't lost me yet and I am in the minority because I don't mind the flashbacks.  Re: this show, the 3 things I really didn't care for were Kevin's growing addiction and Toby's behavior.  I thought the diner/restaurant scene was revolting as well as his apparent desire to have desk sex.  Is this all he thinks about?!? 

On a side note, the pet peeve which is increasingly getting on my nerves has to do with the the promotion of this series.  Literally everyone who is on a talk show to promote this show talks about how it "makes you laugh and cry". Wrong.  I have never, not once laughed.  And in all of the shows up to date, I have shed literally one tear which was when Randall's father died.  And I'm a HUGE crier.  I don't find this to be emotional in the slightest so it bugs me that they continually choose to portray it this way.  Rant over.

I took Toby's desk clearing as a joke. He's always joking around. At least, I hope he was joking. That's the only way I can tolerate him. If I thought he was serious there, I would have been disgusted.

I will have to pay attention and see if I ever laugh. I can't think of anything right now. Although I think I said I laughed at Toby's flashdance water pour, but I'm going to claim that that doesn't count because I mostly don't like Toby.

That whole show when Randall's father died had me crying. The scene that comes most to mind is after, when Randall drove by the chicken place or whatever it was that William had wanted to see. Or was it a chicken on the road? I don't remember now, but something about a chicken, right?

Billie

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 08:38:32 AM »
Or a goose or swan?

wanda

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 08:53:35 AM »
I thought it was a duck. Lol

SarahTheCat

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 08:58:59 AM »
Or a goose or swan?

Oh... ducks? Was it the hotel that has the ducks? The Peabody?

deirdra

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 11:14:11 AM »
Was it the hotel that has the ducks? The Peabody?
Yes.
The only flashbacks I like are when William was alive.

Billie

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 01:11:21 PM »
Yes, they WERE ducks!  It took a whole team of us to come to that conclusion...chickens, geese, swans...this was just last year!

Goldilocks

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 04:41:34 PM »
Yes The Peabody Hotel ducks are famous. There is even a children's picture book about them.

SarahTheCat

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 08:32:02 PM »
Yes The Peabody Hotel ducks are famous. There is even a children's picture book about them.

I had never heard of them before seeing the show. I had to google it after the show to see what it was all about. And then I pretty much completely forgot about it.