Author Topic: Jack throwing Ashley's paternity in her face MERGED I absolutely hated today's episode  (Read 478 times)

ghostbabe

Seriously, Jack saying to Ashley that John is not her father, he's mine.  Never in a million years would Jack say this, it is totally out of character.  Not cool writers. >:( I literally dropped what I was doing while watching, couldn't believe that came out of his mouth.

Capricorn

Re: Jack throwing Ashley's paternity in her face
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 04:38:07 PM »
That's Mal Young's writing... he reminds me too much of Chuck Pratt.   There is no way Jack would ever say that to Ashley.

Ricky

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 05:36:11 PM »

Not to differ with y'all but if you remember back in the 1980s, Terry Lester's Jack Abbott not only repeatedly threw the fact in Ashley's face, he also blackmailed her with the information.   (Ashley was the president of Jabot, and Jack told her that if she didn't step down and relinquish the position to him, he'd tell John Abbott that Ashley was Brent Davis's bastard daughter.    Jack used the information against Ashley for YEARS in order to hold onto the presidency of Jabot.)       

Capricorn

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 06:44:26 PM »
Yes but that was decades ago when Jack was awfully young, I thought he had grown up since then and it was shocking to hear those words come out of Jack's mouth... my goodness the man in in his mid 60s - John Abbott is dead and all of Genoa City heard the "news."   I hate the way Mal Young is taking a harmonious family and making them like the Newmans.

Maple Leaf

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 07:25:03 PM »
That was harsh. I literally cringed when he said it.

Billie

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 08:27:40 PM »
I only saw the previews but I don't like it either.  I absolutely hate it when a new regime comes in and changes the characters personalities to the point where they're almost unrecognizable.  He is as bad as Pratt and today for the first time in 50 years, I actually FF'd through some scenes.  I'm close to breaking this bad habit.

wanda

I absolutely hated today's episode
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 07:26:27 PM »
I hate the way Mal Young is turning the Abbotts against each other. I've always loved the Abbotts and their closeness. In a blink of an eye the writers have Jack and Ashley go for each other's jugular. It is just really hard for me to watch. Don't know that I can continue.

Eileen Davidson really showed some great acting today.

I also can't stand the Scott/Sharon/Abby triangle. Either Scott is in love with Sharon or he's not. He can't be with Sharon and lust for Abby.

Peridot

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 07:27:17 PM »

Not to differ with y'all but if you remember back in the 1980s, Terry Lester's Jack Abbott not only repeatedly threw the fact in Ashley's face, he also blackmailed her with the information.   (Ashley was the president of Jabot, and Jack told her that if she didn't step down and relinquish the position to him, he'd tell John Abbott that Ashley was Brent Davis's bastard daughter.    Jack used the information against Ashley for YEARS in order to hold onto the presidency of Jabot.)     

Yes, I remember those days.  Today's scene between Jack and Ashley was very reminiscent of the kinds of sibling spats they used to have.  Both Jack and Ashley might come across as over the top were it not for the added stress of Dina's situation.  Seen in that light, their heightened emotions appear realistic.

Peridot

Re: I absolutely hated today's episode
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 07:34:56 PM »
I love Abby and Scott together.  I just don't want to see Sharon get hurt again.  Sharon and Scott are at completely different places in life.  Sharon has grown children and has been married 4 times.  Scott has yet to experience marriage and fatherhood, and his career has yet to peak.  IMO there's no future for Scott and Sharon except for endless romps in the sack.  Which will get boring after a while.  Plus, you can bet money that at some point Scott will become embroiled in yet another dangerous situation in the pursuit of journalism, leaving Sharon to worry, worry, worry.  She's already been through enough of that with Dylan.  Abby and Scott may be opposites, but they're more of an age and their adversarial chemistry is more interesting for me to watch than Scott and Sharon getting cozy by the fire.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:35:40 AM by Peridot »

monkeymome3

Re: I absolutely hated today's episode
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 07:41:30 PM »
Somebody has to be the Scrooge.  I guess it's Jack.  They'll kiss and make up in time for Christmas.  But he was really rotten today.

Ricky

Traci really hit the nail on the head.   "We've lost Dad," she quietly said to Jack, "and now we're losing Mother.   So you and Ashley are fighting like children over the only thing we have left -- Jabot."   BINGO!   And then right on cue, here comes Dina wandering in from the lab with her arms full of test tubes containing *company secrets* that she rescued from Gloria.  lol.

It's really sad, but I think it's all pretty realistic.   This has all been coming for a while now.    We've seen Ashley's frustration the past several months about having Brash & Sassy inhabiting her lab against her wishes;  we've seen her frustration over Jack's childish, immature attitude towards Billy; we've seen her bewilderment over Jack's sudden, impulsive purchase of Fenmore's; we've seen her amazement at Jack's "spy games" with Billy and the laptop; we've seen Jack's underhanded machinations to get Fenmore's to drop Brash & Sassy; we've seen Ashley's horror when Jack hired Gloria Bardwell as his assistant and then started spending nights with her;  we've seen Ashley's sadness over having her "paternity secret" blabbed by Dina to a roomful of people.   She's been (coldly) sweet about the whole sad situation with Jabot and Dina, but you just KNEW that if Ashley ever got her attractive ass into the CEO seat, she'd be making some instant changes.   And you just KNEW that when that happened, Jack would tilt his chin like Dame Joan Collins, narrow his eyes, toss out a few catty barbs about Ashley's paternity, flamboyantly sweep the papers from his desk onto the floor, then bite his bottom lip, tremble theatrically, and pout towards the camera like Miss Mary Astor.

Nobody let us down!       

Capricorn

You are right Ricky.  We have watched Ashley put up with Jack's antics... your reminders have me seeing Ashley's actions and attitude much differently.

DebR

Since baby Sam is doing well looks like the Abbotts making peace by Christmas will be this years miracle. 

stpauliegirl

Since Jack and Ashley, or maybe just Jack, are reverting to childish behavior, it isn't that surprising that he would strike such a low blow.  At least he seemed contrite about it afterward.  Let's hope he apologizes to her.  Wonder how Jack feels about adoption.  Does feel that adopted children aren't really the children of their parents?  John Abbott is legally Ashley's father and he adored her.  I don't think that would have changed if he had learned he wasn't her biological dad.

I think it is kind of dumb that Jack is trying to babysit Dina.  He doesn't have the temperment for it.  They should hire a caregiver that specialized in Alzheimers to care for Dina during the day.  both she and the rest of the family would be better off doing that.

Miravep

Traci really hit the nail on the head.   "We've lost Dad," she quietly said to Jack, "and now we're losing Mother.   So you and Ashley are fighting like children over the only thing we have left -- Jabot."   BINGO!   And then right on cue, here comes Dina wandering in from the lab with her arms full of test tubes containing *company secrets* that she rescued from Gloria.  lol.

It's really sad, but I think it's all pretty realistic.   This has all been coming for a while now.    We've seen Ashley's frustration the past several months about having Brash & Sassy inhabiting her lab against her wishes;  we've seen her frustration over Jack's childish, immature attitude towards Billy; we've seen her bewilderment over Jack's sudden, impulsive purchase of Fenmore's; we've seen her amazement at Jack's "spy games" with Billy and the laptop; we've seen Jack's underhanded machinations to get Fenmore's to drop Brash & Sassy; we've seen Ashley's horror when Jack hired Gloria Bardwell as his assistant and then started spending nights with her;  we've seen Ashley's sadness over having her "paternity secret" blabbed by Dina to a roomful of people.   She's been (coldly) sweet about the whole sad situation with Jabot and Dina, but you just KNEW that if Ashley ever got her attractive ass into the CEO seat, she'd be making some instant changes.   And you just KNEW that when that happened, Jack would tilt his chin like Dame Joan Collins, narrow his eyes, toss out a few catty barbs about Ashley's paternity, flamboyantly sweep the papers from his desk onto the floor, then bite his bottom lip, tremble theatrically, and pout towards the camera like Miss Mary Astor.

Nobody let us down!       

I would like this conflict and find it believable and in character IF they built up to this eruption over a month or so.  Then they wouldn't need Tracy to explain the psychology behind it.  We would all get it.  The showdown was a good idea, but only a week ago Jack and Ashley were acting like loving best friends.  You can't go from zero to 100 like this and have it feel plausible with our buying into the emotions.  Too fast and choppy for me. 

Ricky

You're sure right about that!   All it would've taken from the writers is a brief mention of the Jack/Billy conflict during the scene where Billy asked to borrow the jet to take Phyllis to New York.   And Ashley could've said something like, "The way Jack acted during all of that really pissed me off, Billy, but I tried not to make a big deal out of it."   Then a few brief lines of Ashley on the phone about the mysterious "Cartwright deal", and we would've all been sitting there waiting for the explosion.   Instead, with the lead-up scenes missing, it just kinda came out of nowhere. 

That's a flaw permeating Mal Young's writing.   A few days ago, Victoria got a late-night notification that Newman Enterprises is having a "top to bottom, full-scale AUDIT".    In the subsequent episode, set in the early morning, Cricket sighed and said, "The Newman audit hasn't turned-up anything yet."  What did the auditors do??   Come in after dark and work all night??   That ain't how audits work.    Those lines should've been spaced-out over multiple episodes. 

And we all know that Lauren hates Sharon.   But now Scotty is actually LIVING with Sharon, and not a peep from Lauren about it.   

Ravi accepted a job with Newman Enterprises.   Has he told Ashley yet that he's leaving?   Has he written a resignation letter?   Again, nothing. 

They just fly through certain storylines at 100 miles per hour and miss the beats that make them resonate with the audience.   

lawgirl

You're sure right about that!   All it would've taken from the writers is a brief mention of the Jack/Billy conflict during the scene where Billy asked to borrow the jet to take Phyllis to New York.   And Ashley could've said something like, "The way Jack acted during all of that really pissed me off, Billy, but I tried not to make a big deal out of it."   Then a few brief lines of Ashley on the phone about the mysterious "Cartwright deal", and we would've all been sitting there waiting for the explosion.   Instead, with the lead-up scenes missing, it just kinda came out of nowhere. 

That's a flaw permeating Mal Young's writing.   A few days ago, Victoria got a late-night notification that Newman Enterprises is having a "top to bottom, full-scale AUDIT".    In the subsequent episode, set in the early morning, Cricket sighed and said, "The Newman audit hasn't turned-up anything yet."  What did the auditors do??   Come in after dark and work all night??   That ain't how audits work.    Those lines should've been spaced-out over multiple episodes. 

And we all know that Lauren hates Sharon.   But now Scotty is actually LIVING with Sharon, and not a peep from Lauren about it.   

Ravi accepted a job with Newman Enterprises.   Has he told Ashley yet that he's leaving?   Has he written a resignation letter?   Again, nothing. 

They just fly through certain storylines at 100 miles per hour and miss the beats that make them resonate with the audience.

This is happening because Mal doesn't believe in character development.  This is being written as an outline of plot points -- new ones each day -- soundbites.  Blink and you miss the day's story, but tomorrow there will be something else. This genre doesn't work like that.  Character consistency and development over time is what keeps viewers involved and watching.

Capricorn

Whomever decided to let Sally Sussman go and make Mal Young head writer made a big mistake.  There has been one show (total) that I've enjoyed since Mal Young took over.  I enjoyed almost all of Sussman's writing and storytelling.

Billie

I agree.  This show has gone downhill fast.  I don't enjoy it anymore and watch it only out of habit.
I'm curious Cap, which was the show that you enjoyed?  I haven't enjoyed a whole entire show but there was one scene that was touching which was when Dina and Jack hugged it out by the Christmas tree.  I think that's it.

brynandmaddie

Hmmmm, I'm intrigued. It's been years since I've tuned in to Y&R but I may have to start again. The introduction to SO many new characters is what has kept me from watching again (and I've been watching since the 80's until about 2011 or so). Hope I can jump back in without too much confusion! I loved the days of Terry Lester's version of Jack and definitely remember the squabbles between him & Ashley. I adore Peter Bergman so maybe this show deserves my attention again! B&B is killing me about now!

franniep51

Jack is throwing Ashley's paternity at her is a way to show the growing stress of the entire situation that the Abbot family is in. Many times people reach back into the past, in times of disagreement and stress, and fling unreasonable (and unrelated) "reasons" for the disagreement into another person's face.  This is not fighting fair. It cannot be unsaid, and more damage is done.  It's also the way little kids fight/argue. Jack and Ashley are brought back to their feelings as children because they were children when all the Dina-leaving mess started. That is how I read his remarks.