Author Topic: They need a new restaurant/bars  (Read 405 times)

LongTimeFan

They need a new restaurant/bars
« on: November 30, 2017, 02:23:11 AM »
There used to be Gina's, but that burned down.  They had The Underground but that burned down.   Now they have Crimson Lights which used to be a hangout for the student-aged and can ill afford to have a billionaire chase off their only clients for, ------ my god, giggling.  (If I'd been there and Devon had said that to me I'd have told him it's a free country and to f**k off.)  There was the Colonnade Room for fancy affairs -- never used anymore.  And then there was The Lodge -- a cozy place outside of town for trysts.   It's never used anymore.   Then there was Eve's -- sort of an outdoor luncheon-ish place.   Never used.   There was that bar that Billy owned .. or was it Travis?   I'm so sick of seeing everything at the Athletic Club or Newman Towers.  They should give us a break and give us some new scenery.

SarahTheCat

Re: They need a new restaurant/bars
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 08:40:31 AM »
And there was Gloworm, which also burned down.

And Neil's jazz club, Indigo.  Billy's restaurant was the Boardwalk (I think?)  And yes, Travis owned the bar where he met Victoria, but that set wasn't really used much.  There was also a somewhat seedy bar the characters used to go to when they didn't want to run in to someone they knew.

DianeM

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 10:29:49 AM »
How about the Vietnamese restaurant that we saw a few times when Jack was married to Luan?  I remember wondering what green papaya salad tasted like. 

DebR

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 11:54:35 AM »
There was also a somewhat seedy bar the characters used to go to when they didn't want to run in to someone they knew.

Wasn’t it Jimmy’s bar? 

Capricorn

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 12:01:21 PM »
Jimmy's yes,  Cane bought it at one time, sold it but still worked there as a bartender.

Ricky

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 01:18:45 PM »

Y&R tries to make their little restaurants and bars too elaborate, and they spend way too much money on them.   When I was a kid, I used to watch "The Edge of Night" sometimes, and they had about a million different restaurant sets.   All they did was set up a table, put a generic tile backdrop behind it, stick some ketchup bottles on the table, and have a few extras stumble past it, and run a soundtrack of diners chattering.    It gave the impression that Monticello was a big city with a zillion random places to eat, and the budget cost was practically nothing. 

DianeM

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 01:43:39 PM »
True, except for Crimson Lights, which looks pretty much like a typical coffeehouse.  Yesterday I raised my eyebrows when Hilary ordered a cobb salad and Sharon said she'd tell the chef.  Chef?

Capricorn

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 01:57:58 PM »
Did you believe that Sharon made all the stuff people eat at Crimson Lights?  ???  Somebody has to be behind the green(?) door cooking. 

DianeM

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 02:28:51 PM »
Of course not, but a 'chef'?  More like a fry cook to make sandwiches and salads.  Guess she was just being pretentious.

SarahTheCat

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 04:46:24 PM »
True, except for Crimson Lights, which looks pretty much like a typical coffeehouse.  Yesterday I raised my eyebrows when Hilary ordered a cobb salad and Sharon said she'd tell the chef.  Chef?

I think Sharon was being sarcastic - they don't have a chef and they don't serve food like that. After Sharon said that, Hilary changed her order to "just coffee".

Capricorn

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 04:54:45 PM »
Sarcastic yes.

Pretentious Sharon?  No.

Hillary discomboobulated over her nude expose - a bitchy boob for ordering a cob salad at Crimson Lights.

Abby, Nikki, Victoria are the pretentious Genoa City residents.

deirdra

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 07:34:28 PM »
Hillary has a great body and the "scandal" will likely increase interest in GC Buzz.  She should go after new advertisers.

SarahTheCat

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 09:36:43 PM »
Actually, speaking of Hillary going after new advertisers, I was rather surprised by her desperate request to Devon to have him invest some money in her show. He GAVE HER THE ENTIRE BUSINESS... and now she's running it into the ground and needs help?

jinx

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 10:22:48 PM »
I can't remember seeing people eat anything but pastries, cookies, bagels and the like with their coffee and hot chocolate. Today I wondered who made the 'fresh-out-of-the-oven' chocolate chip cookie she offered Hilary.

Capricorn

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 10:42:30 PM »
Cookie fairy.   :)

Ricky

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 10:48:48 PM »

There's a red neon sign on the front door of Crimson Lights announcing that they serve COFFEE SANDWICHES PASTRIES, but I swear to God, I've never seen anybody in there eating a sandwich.   

Soaprah

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 12:07:35 AM »
Sandwiches are too unpredictable and messy to eat-- and they show bite marks which indicate that the actor has actually been eating. Listen-- it's hard enough to pretend you're drinking from an empty coffee cup, much less chowing down on a sandwich.

Peridot

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 10:06:35 AM »
Sometimes I miss the Colonnade Room.  But it was pretty fancy and characters were always dressed to the nines, so I can understand it no longer being in the budget.  I think the GCAC serves just as well for more upscale dining, as well as Top of the Tower at times.  Last year folks were eating at that outdoor café in Chancellor Park well into the winter, it seemed.  I do miss Gloworm, though.  IMO that was a much more appropriate setting for Gloria than at some sad little desk outside Jack's office.  I'm also pretty fond of Crimson Lights and appreciate that GC has at least one place that has remained open through the years.

DianeM

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 10:41:28 AM »
They do serve cookies.....hot from the oven.

deirdra

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 12:16:22 PM »
I've been in small towns where the bakery next door or down the street from the coffee house makes the hot-from-the-oven cookies, muffins etc.  Its a win-win situation; the bakery concentrates on baking and the coffee house deals with customers and beverage making. Lauren once came to CL for a dozen brownies to go.  Presumably the baker wore a hairnet so there weren't Cousin Itt hairs inside the brownies.

deirdra

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2017, 12:18:03 PM »
I'm hoping that Gloria gets so fed up working for Ashley that she decides to open Gloworm II.

jinx

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2017, 06:15:33 PM »

Cookie fairy.   :)

;) :D :D :D
I've been in small towns where the bakery next door or down the street from the coffee house makes the hot-from-the-oven cookies, muffins etc.  Its a win-win situation; the bakery concentrates on baking and the coffee house deals with customers and beverage making. Lauren once came to CL for a dozen brownies to go.  Presumably the baker wore a hairnet so there weren't Cousin Itt hairs inside the brownies.
Let's hope there aren't Scott hairs in CL brownies!