Author Topic: Nick, Dina and the insurance  (Read 168 times)

LeannaLove

Nick, Dina and the insurance
« on: November 29, 2017, 06:50:34 PM »
Dialogue from today's scene between Paul, Nick and Chelsea appears below.  Another dose of unreality from this writing team.  I rolled my eyes over this one.

Paul:  You will be getting a check for the damages.

Nick:  From who?  The Abbotts?

Paul:  The insurance company.  They have been informed that you are not the responsible party.

Nick:  Won't they expect Dina to be held accountable in some capacity?

Paul:  They accept that there are extenuating circumstances.

If only.

We've all dealt with the insurance company when there are "extenuating circumstances" and they're not exactly known for their compassion.  I guess IRL Nick's insurance company might agree to pay but then they'd sue the Abbotts and their insurance company to recover their money.  As sad as it is for those afflicted with Alzheimer's as well as their families, in a case like this "someone has to pay the bill" as an insurance adjuster once told me.

Capricorn

Re: Nick, Dina and the insurance
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 06:58:16 PM »
This is true but nowhere in that conversation did Paul say Nick's insurance company wouldn't recoup from the Abbott's insurance.  It shouldn't be necessary to tell Nick anything else.  Paul shouldn't even have told Nick & Chelsea about Dina's medical problems.  I think the accountability that Nick is talking about is legal not insurance wise.

LeannaLove

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 07:26:57 PM »
You're right Cap.  The scene just struck me as inauthentic and while I'm fully aware it's just a TV show, this writing team asks us to suspend disbelief way too many times.

stpauliegirl

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 07:38:00 PM »
I agree.  The insurance company might pay Nick, but they definitely would go after the Abbotts to be recouped.  I also don't think they would care about Dina's alzheimer's.  If they had to, they would definitely sue.

Ricky

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 08:41:35 PM »
Paul shouldn't even have told Nick & Chelsea about Dina's medical problems. 

It's horrible that Paul told Nicholas all about the Alzheimer's diagnosis.   (Of course we all know Paul is a blithering idiot, anyway.)   But for heaven's sake, all he had to say is, "The person who set the club on fire can't be held accountable from a legal standpoint, and that's all I'm going to say.   It will be up to the insurance carrier whether or not to pursue the arsonist.   But YOU are in the clear."     

Goldilocks

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 09:38:11 PM »
In a couple more episodes everyone in GC will know about Dina's condition. So much for keeping it in the family.