Author Topic: Writers, what a big broom you have!  (Read 431 times)

Peridot

Writers, what a big broom you have!
« on: November 20, 2017, 02:55:42 PM »
The better to sweep superfluous characters off the canvas, I guess.  The new regime is wasting no time getting rid of the riffraff.  Juliet, Alice, Graham, Zach--all gone in a heartbeat.  No long, drawn-out goodbyes, no bedside death scenes, no expressions of remorse, just Pffft!  Not that I miss any of these people.  Wonder who'll be next?  Place your bets.

Ricky

Re: Writers, what a big broom you have!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 03:02:55 PM »
I'm afraid RAVI will probably go quietly into that good night.   JORDAN, however, may take a hostage or two when he steps out.   

Billie

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 03:14:20 PM »
Noooo!  Not Ravi!  I have noticed though that he has been on only once (that I can remember) since Young took over.
His strategy is going to backfire, IMO.  Relying on the same core characters day in and day out will create a snoozefest.  In terms of love interests, there's only so many times couples can recycle.  It's becoming incestuous.  How many times can we see Nick and Sharon reunite?  Victor and Nicki? Billy and Victoria?  Been there, done that too many times to count and it's no longer entertaining.
I feel like I'm being repetitive but more characters would liven things up!  He needs to get a clue, this man.

Ricky

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 03:34:37 PM »

Billie, I agree with you 100%.   I think that all of these "newbie" characters have livened-up the veteran/core characters that they've been supporting.    But it doesn't appear that Mal Young agrees with us.  (Mal Young seems to have zero interest in writing for Ravi.)

I think Ravi has enriched the Jabot environment (especially Ashley) tremendously;  I thought Juliet's interference made Cane and Lily almost tolerable.    Jordan has been a good opponent for Hillary, an interesting ally for Lily, and an outright albatross for Chelsea.   Graham was important in defining the mixture of love and resentment the Abbott kids have for Dina.   (And I think everyone knows the unprecedented admiration I felt for the Preppy Pimp!)   When you scrap these supporting characters, you're left with a much duller and much more repetitious canvas, in my humble opinon.     

franniep51

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 04:09:59 PM »
I think the actor who plays Ravi is going on to prime time or a movie. I read it somewhere on line but can't remember which site.

You are right, there is a big broom sweeping out the new characters. I guess MY is setting up his own storylines and his way of telling stories. I read that he wants everyday to be a new day on the show. That leaves a lot for the reader to fill in the blanks. I think that keeping Graham, Juliet and Ravi would have enhanced storylines and given way to new situations.

jinx

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 05:24:22 PM »
Ravi has never had much of a believable story. As for Juliet, I think we could see that coming. But there are a lot of holes to fill with Graham that could make things interesting. His back story was connected to old characters. Graham didn't seem like a person who would just give up with a warning from Jack. Dina depended on him. Will she accept that her right hand man just walked out of her life or will the shock of it set her back more? I want to know what happened with her will.

Ricky

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 05:33:30 PM »

I'm thinking Graham may breeze back in at some point.    My guess is that he knows all about Dina's memory condition, and he's probably been responsible for giving her Aricept tablets (or something) to keep her condition sorta stabilized.   When Jack and Ashley "stole" Dina away from Graham in Florida, he said, "Good luck!", as though he realized they were biting off more than they could chew.   Surely, he'll come back to gloat about it. 

Peridot

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 07:08:48 PM »

I'm thinking Graham may breeze back in at some point.

I'm thinking the same.  When Graham departed it seemed like the door was being left open for his return.  I'd like to see Ravi stick around.  Although I'm glad they've soft-pedaled his romance with Ashley I believe he serves a valuable purpose as a peripheral character at Jabot.  Without a few employees at the big companies who aren't family members, it always seems like only a few people are working there.  I have mixed feelings about Jordan.  He's okay as a sounding board for Lily or Chelsea, but IMO lacks the necessary presence to be a leading man.  Or maybe they just need to pair him with someone other than the Hildebeest, who eats men alive for breakfast.

Miravep

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 09:06:13 AM »
Ravi was one of the best additions the show's had in ages.  As soon as I heard Mal Young was getting rid of new characters, I feared for Ravi.  They haven't given him anything to do in a long time.  The actor has terrific comic timing and is good-looking.  The character had loads of potential, a mixture of sensible, kind, and sophisticated.  And more diversity in characters' economic status--how nice to see a young professional worker instead of just the superrich--as well as ethnicity is welcome.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 10:21:11 AM by Miravep »

SarahTheCat

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 09:10:56 AM »
I'd like to see Ravi stick around too. I think he'd make a good match with Mariah, if she would just get over cold fish Tessa already.

DebR

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 09:19:23 AM »
I would hope that since they’re getting rid of characters they’re going to introduce new storylines with new characters.  It would be awfully boring watching the same people having the same conversations every day. 

Surely we haven’t seen the last of Graham. I find it hard to believe he would give up so quickly.

DianeM

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 01:44:06 PM »
I find it strange that Dina isn't wondering what has happened to Graham.  He was with her every day and evening, and now he's nowhere to be found.  Why isn't she asking about him?  And how about her will?  Are Jack and Ashley going to work with attorneys to change that?

Billie

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 03:43:37 PM »
I'd like to see Ravi stick around too. I think he'd make a good match with Mariah, if she would just get over cold fish Tessa already.
Yep, I have wanted to see this pairing for ages.

Ricky

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 04:08:07 PM »
I find it strange that Dina isn't wondering what has happened to Graham.  He was with her every day and evening, and now he's nowhere to be found.  Why isn't she asking about him? 

You know, they actually *did* address all of that at the end of October, but in typical Mal Young fashion, it flew by us so fast that it was very easy to miss.

Dina's first morning back from Florida (near the end of October), she kept badgering Ashley and Jack to drive her to GCAC so that she could have breakfast with Graham.   That's all she had on her mind was eating breakfast with Graham.   Jack and Ashley kept making signals and signs at each other over Dina's head and side-stepping the issue of driving her to the club.   Dina was getting more and more agitated and kept saying, "We have to go see about Graham .... I know the poor boy is worried sick about me."    (While she was in Flordia with Graham, she completely forgot that she'd told him she never wanted to see him again.)

Eventually Abby showed up at the Abbott house, and Dina forgot all about Graham, as she got real busy inquiring of Abby whether or not the Preppy Pimp was any good "between the sheets".  That went on for a while, and when Abby left, Dina got Graham on her mind again and started badgering Jack to drive her to the club so that she could have dinner with Graham.   In frustration, Jack finally just shouted that Graham had left town and had indicated he didn't want to see Dina anymore.   

Dina was hurt by that announcement, and she went and pouted in her room.   When she eventually came downstairs again, she went to the Underground in her bedroom slippers (probably imagining that she was going to GCAC), and she admired a photograph of Brent Davis by holding a match to it, burned down the entire club, went back home, went to bed, and never mentioned Graham again.    (And somehow Jack and Ashley ignored the signs of dementia in all of this, lol.) 

SarahTheCat

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 06:02:13 PM »
The writers wouldn't even need a scene explaining to Dina where Graham is. With her alzheimers, she could easily have just forgotten about him. After my dad died, about 6 months later, my mom made a new friend at her grief support group. They dated for about 2 years, and when he died, she never even mentioned him or asked about him. She saw him in a photo once and asked who he was.

stpauliegirl

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 06:47:35 PM »
Mal Young gave an interview a while ago where he said he wanted to concentrate on the "core characters".  Guess that explains the character house cleaning that is going on.

bren

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 08:56:28 PM »

STC, I've thought the same thing.  I DO hope Ravi can stick around.  He's certainly an interesting, NON-RELATED character who adds some appealing panache to the show.  Lots of potential, and I'd sure like to see a Ravi-Mariah matchup.